Higher Apprenticeship - Engineer (Manufacturing / Technical)
Location: Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK13 0ER
Type: Full time
Posted date: 29/07/2011 13:56
We require Higher Apprentice Engineers who are able to develop strong academic skills and transfer these in to best practice manufacturing and engineering disciplines. The job will be include hands on skills, that will then be developed in to a technical engineering support role within the Production, Design, Development, Engineering, Production, Quality Assurance, Customer Support / Service, Supply Chain / Purchasing disciplines of the manufacturing business at Milton Keynes. The successful applicant will develop into a top class Engineer with a developed knowledge and understanding of all technical support elements of the business, as well as a solid foundation in the Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics and Hydraulic engineering disciplines employed within the Niftylift product range.
Applicant Entry Criteria:
Minimum of two AS Level, grade C or above in one of the following subjects: English, Maths, Science, Engineering, National Diploma in Engineering or Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering.
The Apprenticeship Framework:
Based at ATG Training, Aylesbury, or MK College, Milton Keynes.
|QPEO2/001:||Working Safely In An Engineering Environment|
|QPEO2/002:||Working Efficiently And Effectively In Engineering|
|QPEO2/003:||Using And Communicating Technical Information|
|QPEO2/005:||Producing Components Using Hand Fitting Techniques|
|QPEO2/019:||Maintaining Mechanical Devices and Equipment|
|QPEO2/037:||Maintaining electrical equipment / systems|
|QPEO2/021:||Maintaining fluid power equipment|
IPAF Access Introduction Module
Key skills training:
Communication - Level 3
Application of numbers - Level 3
Information Technology - Level 3
Improving own learning and performance - Level 3
Working with others - Level 3
BTEC Higher National Certificate Day release at ATG Training, or MK College .
Potential to progress onto Engineering Degree.
In House Training / Experience:
Engineering Leadership NVQ Level 4
Functions: Customisation Product Cell, HR21 / 210 Product Line / Cell, Stores / Logistics, Development Workshop, Design / Engineering Department, Service Department, Quality Assurance Department, Production Engineering and Purchasing Department.
Skills: Mechanical Assembly, Electrical Wiring, Hydraulic Fitting, Hand / Bench Fitting, Fabrication / Preparation, Quality Control / Inspection / ISO9001 Systems and Procedures, Engineering Review, structuring BOM / works Orders to Customer Spec. Development of build methods, facilities and procedures. Purchasing procedures and methods (including engineered parts). Prototype manufacture and Computer Aided Design (Pro Engineer).
The apprenticeship is a win / win situation of learning and earning at the same time. The above framework has the opportunity to be exceeded, and for the right candidates can develop through to our technician level framework of further education. The apprenticeship offers a competitive wage, potential overtime (at premium rates), future bonus, health cover, contributory pension, life insurance and holiday allowance scheme.
Example roles in more detail:
Design Engineer Roles
- Innovative, and comprehensive design specifications developed to provide design specifications for cost effective manufacture and exceeded customer requirements.
- Details design support within project teams ensuring aesthetic, robust, quality design solutions are achieved, through utilisation of a wide range of materials and manufacturing methods.
- Fully competent usage of the full range of tools incorporated within Pro Engineer 3D CAD package.
- Support the manufacture of the companies existing and new product range through generating effective engineering information / systems / manufacturing processes / BOM's and system trouble shooting / diagnostics.
Quality Control & Engineer Roles
- To effectively and efficiently control and administer the company's quality control systems in line with ISO9001, TUV and other company defined standards.
- Process all non conformities through the internal / external quality note system, including identification of agreed preventative actions.
- Provide and manage a framework for the Warranty Returns and Customer Complaints through the company's 8D system.
- Provide hands on technical assistance for component field failures, ensuring parts are diagnostic / analysed and project managed through to preventative design, supply or build action.
- Conduct Supplier Evaluation Audits and development programs.
- Responsible for establishing trends, corrective and preventative actions to support both Niftylift internal and external supply chain.
- Development of robust machine testing procedures and inspection, including hands on hot testing.
Production / Manufacturing / Development Engineer Roles
- To support the manufacture of the companies existing and new product
range through generating effective engineering information / systems /
manufacturing processes / BOM's.
and facilities in accordance with H&S legislation.
- To implement a successful Lean Manufacturing culture, focusing on continual improvement and the elimination / reduction of all wastes. Developing and establishing lean standard operation times.
- Generating / maintaining accurate build specifications and works order information on the companies manufacturing system. Communicate and support drawing issues / changes with production.
- Compliance and development of legislation / company health and safety systems.
- Provide mechanical and electrical fault finding / problem solving support direct to production cells, maintaining fault diagnostics database.
Engineering Commodity Buyer Roles
- Global sourcing of engineered products. Develop contracts and supplier agreements, with key partnership suppliers.
- Continuous cost down, through strong constructive negotiation, including driving supplier's technical / engineering resources, global and currency sourcing, correct supplier selection (skills, resource and facilities).
- Develop and maintain ordering methods and rolling delivery schedules.
- Maintain and develop the materials control and purchasing planning parameters on the companies manufacturing software system.
- Develop, measure, approve and audit supply base.
Production Supervision & Management Roles
- To effectively manage and develop people, plant, layout and systems, to achieve both
effective and efficient quality production within defined sectors of the operations business.
- Efficient organisation and utilisation of staff, including compliance with health and safety
standards, skills flexibility.
- Measuring, reporting and managing key performance indicators.
- Develop and maintain build quality to achieve outstanding customer satisfaction standards.
- To support, implement and sustain continuous improvement through lean manufacturing
techniques and philosophies throughout the complete production area.
- People / culture development and training in alignment with new methods / practices being introduced.
- Ensuring company procedures and standards are complied with.