Durlston Castle, Swanage
24 April 2012
Finishing Touches to Castle RefurbishmentBackground
Durlston Castle is located in Swanage, Dorset, and dates back to the 1800s. This extraordinary Victorian building has been completely refurbished and is now home to a new visitor centre for the Durlston Country Park and National Nature Reserve, which stands as a
gateway to the Jurassic Coast. The huge refurbishment, funded through the Heritage Lottery Fund, completely transformed the Castle and the surrounding grounds. SureSet was chosen to complete the final landscaping stages which put the finishing touches to a project which was first started 8 years earlier.
SureSet was chosen for the project due to a proven track record in providing sustainable surfacing for prestigious heritage sites across the UK including St Anne’s Church in Wandworth, Isleworth War Memorial in London and King John’s Castle in Odiham.
The desired solution needed to stay true to the traditional looks of the castle grounds whilst remaining sustainable for many years to come. In the end a bespoke mix was developed specifically for the project which was fittingly named Dorset Fawn. Over 900 square metres of SureSet permeable resin bound paving was laid on a mixture of pathways, courtyards and observation areas within the castle grounds. The solution also included small sections of Norwegian Bronze which was selected to accentuate the areas of Dorset Fawn and further complement the building’s impressive facades.
The end result is a truly striking surface which has complemented the rest of the refurbishment works whilst preserving the
traditional looks of the historic building and the grounds. The client was extremely pleased with the finished solution and SureSet also hold the project in very high regard.
Durlston Castle will remain a landmark for many years to come and now that the grounds encompass a fully permeable surface which is resistant to oil, stains and weeds and which will not fade or deteriorate over time, it will also be many years before there will be any need for further refurbishment.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 31/10/2012 - St.Georges Place Canterbury
- 31/10/2012 - Hedland Hotel
- 19/04/2012 - Suave Wine Bar, Westbury
- 02/11/2011 - SureSet Launches a New Surfacing Solution for Pot Plants
- 02/11/2011 - SureSet Appoints Agent in Ghana
- 02/11/2011 - A Fusion of Colour Adds More Choice to SureSet Range
- 02/11/2011 - SureSet Announces New 15 Year Guarantee
- 20/04/2011 - SureSet Adds Stunning New Finishes to Recycled Range
- 20/04/2011 - SureSet Paving Brings Children’s Centre Design Concept to Life
- 20/04/2011 - SureSet Paves the Way for Dorset Footbridge
- 08/12/2010 - Northumbria University
- 07/12/2010 - SureSet Launches New Range of Permeable Paving Slabs