Lift and escalator installations at London Paddington
28 May 2012
Stannah iskey to Paddington progressThe old taxi rank at Paddington Station closed on 12th February 2012 and in its place a brand new elevated taxi rank, created above Platform 12, opened for business.
UK lift company Stannah have played a crucial role in the new facilities supplying and installing escalators and lifts for essential access to the main concourse and platforms on the lower level.
After 6 months of accelerated work the deadline was met and the new taxi facility opened on 12th February 2012. This enabled Crossrail to commence their main station works on time, in line with the demanding schedule of works.
The area will be the subject of further finishing cosmetic works in the summer of 2012.
Stannah engineers worked their final shift for over 24 hours in order to meet the deadline. Failure would have delayed the switch on of new traffic lights so preventing the new taxi rank to open and thus holding up Crossrail.
Andy Swift, Project Manager, Paddington Integrated Project C272 for Carillion, praised the hard work of everyone involved in meeting the deadline:
‘Through the very low temperatures over the final weekend it truly was a great team effort that allowed us to overcome the challenges which we went through over the last few months and without everyone being dedicated and determined to achieve this goal we wouldn’t have made it.
Over the final few weeks it was clearly noticeable on site that the momentum was building up and determination to deliver on time was evident. Well done everyone’.
Ken Price, Operations Manager for StannahMajor Projects and Ian Carter, Escalator and Moving Walkway Department Manager, added:
‘We were determined and delighted to meet the absolutely crucial deadline but are aware that there is further work to do to achieve the final finish to the whole area around the 2 escalators and 2 lifts. It was an amazing team effort that has enabled the new equipment to fully operational and providing the vital access for the public.’
The duplex 16-person/1200kg,2-stop,hydraulic,bespoke passenger lifts are finished to industry specifications and therefore meet the requirements of the Lifts Directive (95/16/EC) 1995, and EN 81-1/2 safety rules for the construction and installation of lifts.
Manufactured to the highest specification, both lifts are fitted with electronic 3D safety edges to all car doors, alarm push buttons, and two-way communication systems in the cars and at each landing. In-car speech synthesisers also provide lift travel information at each landing. Operating at a contract speed of 0.63 metres per second, they each feature landings with a clear access of 1100mm x 2100mm.
The pair of Stannah escalators run each side of a central stairway to the main station concourse.The units are heavy duty transport escalators manufactured and installed to Network Rail specification set out by Butler & Young Lift Consultants for contractor Carillion and client, Crossrail Limited.
This specification includes full VVVF drive system (variable voltage, variable frequency) that enables slow speed control when traffic is low, thus conserving energy and in turn complying with BREEAM requirements.
All the Stannah lifting equipment at Paddington is supplied with guarantees and will be maintained by the Dartford branch of Stannah Lift Services, covering London and the South East branch as part of the nationwide service and maintenance contract with Network Rail.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 16/03/2018 - Lift portfolio management responsibility?
- 12/03/2018 - Huzzah! Stannah lift spurs access in Tudor Museum
- 12/03/2018 - Stannah passenger/goods lifts remaster access and goods movement in massive regeneration of EMI’s The Old Vinyl Factory
- 05/02/2018 - A Celebration of Alan and Brian Stannah’s MBEs
- 05/02/2018 - Stannah passenger lifts defend access in National Army Museum refurbishment
- 12/09/2017 - Stannah Business Analyst completes the Andover Triathlon for Piggles Trust
- 11/09/2017 - All systems go at Waterloo Station
- 11/09/2017 - The Severn Bridge Project – a Stannah 150 story
- 11/09/2017 - Historic Stannah Piccolo Lift Plays Vital Role in Modern Nursery
- 11/09/2017 - Open to God – Open to All: A Stannahsaur Supports Equal Access in Oxford Church
- 11/09/2017 - Meet Maxi – A Super-Fit Yam-Yam* Stannahsaur!
- 06/06/2017 - Stannah celebrates 150 years of engineering excellence
- 02/06/2017 - Consult the experts at the Facilities Show
- 17/03/2017 - Shortlisted for the Construction News Awards 2017
- 03/02/2017 - Stannah Passenger Lifts Up Access in Multi Award-winning Listed Conversion
- 05/12/2016 - Winners!
- 15/11/2016 - Shortlisted for 'Specialist Contractor of the Year!'
- 15/11/2016 - Stannah’s NEW Microlift Evo: a Prinny-approved not-so-dumb waiter?
- 15/11/2016 - Stannah Platform Lifts: Smart Choice for Smart Systems
- 15/11/2016 - Stannah platform lift – a good sport in Devon trampoline park
- 20/09/2016 - Out with the old, in with the new at Birmingham Marriott Hotel – thanks to Stannah Lifts
- 20/09/2016 - Stannah keep the party on track
- 20/09/2016 - “Oyez! Stannah brings modern access to historic town hall!”
- 20/09/2016 - Improving on Nature: a Stannah platform lift beats the tides in a Northumberland B&B
- 20/09/2016 - A Piccolo in The Pines: Stannah fits the bill in a new residential care home
- 30/03/2016 - UTC wins Royal Navy Challenge by achieving the impossible! - Stannah was right behind them.
- 01/03/2016 - Stannah’s adjacent-entry Xtralift – first choice for leading Tormead Girls School
- 17/02/2016 - NEW – Stannah Stairiser CR: The slimmest platform lift on the market – updated!
- 05/02/2016 - Stannah's small footprint Piccolo lift supports big strides in human performance
- 02/02/2016 - Stannah says 'Go!' in a Newcastle physio practice
- 21/12/2015 - Food, treats and warmth - a bundle of Christmas cheer!
- 11/12/2015 - Another Green Apple Award for Stannah!
- 11/12/2015 - Get on board with Stannah graduations
- 19/11/2015 - Stannah's in The Breakfast Club!
- 19/11/2015 - Stannah ‘Go Aloft!’ to mark their commitment to the Being Brunel project
- 19/11/2015 - Stannah achieves new heights with Which? Trusted Traders endorsement
- 29/10/2015 - Stannah - making all the moves in a new Community Centre
- 24/08/2015 - Stannah UK-wide managers join forces for The Silver Line!
- 06/05/2015 - Boosting access in inner-city housing regeneration
- 17/04/2015 - Stannah and the Countess of York – a refreshing union
- 10/04/2015 - Stannah see the Light
- 13/03/2015 - Announcing our Microlift winner!
- 27/02/2015 - Yatta! Stannah passenger lift fast tracks access in new YO! Sushi eatery
- 17/02/2015 - Stannah outfits modern U.K. home with platform lift
- 12/02/2015 - Supporting service in a leading London Business Members' Club
- 10/02/2015 - Vertical-access success in a listed rail station
- 23/12/2014 - Stannah Xtralifts bring XtraAccess in a va-va-voom car park
- 26/11/2014 - A Microlift double- family celebration
- 29/10/2014 - Working with Network Rail to create vertical access in Nottingham Rail Hub
- 10/07/2014 - Stannah 2000kg goods passenger lift – supporting King’s College Hospital with a goods-accompanied lift solution
- 26/06/2014 - Stannah Levelmaster low-rise platform goods lift – solving stock flow in a split-level storeroom
- 19/05/2014 - Stannah's Microlift 50B - 21st century service in a listed guest house
- 16/05/2014 - Moving goods over several floors and looking for a helping hand?
- 15/05/2014 - NEW Stannah slimline Stairiser SR – biggest welcome yet for wheelchair users!
- 25/04/2014 - Another first for Bristol’s favourite visitor attraction
- 25/04/2014 - Double win for Stannah in the rail industry
- 11/04/2014 - Stannah scores a golden six in RoSPA Health and Safety Awards 2014
- 24/03/2014 - Lift expertise on show at Stannah National Sales Conference
- 06/03/2014 - Stannah modernise car park lifts in Taunton
- 06/03/2014 - Stannah – modernising hospital lift stock
- 06/03/2014 - Stannah's Midilift SLplus - providing access solution in a listed building
- 22/10/2013 - Passenger-moving vertical lifts - make an informed choice
- 13/08/2013 - Delivering major turnkey lift upgrade in Midlands School
- 25/06/2013 - Bridging the gap
- 25/06/2013 - Five in a Row!
- 10/06/2013 - Interacting in The Crystal
- 12/04/2013 - Our range of cabin platform lifts has just got bigger
- 11/03/2013 - Questions about goods lifts? Stannah have all the answers
- 22/01/2013 - Lowriser @ Milton Mount Primary School, Crawley, West Sussex
- 09/01/2013 - Stannah Major Projects @ Edinburgh Waverley, Scotland
- 06/11/2012 - Doing the locomotion with Network Rail . . .
- 10/10/2012 - NEW Stannah LEVELMASTER - platform goods lift
- 08/10/2012 - Oh what a circus!
- 07/09/2012 - Stannah lifts enhance travel experience at Kings Cross Station
- 23/08/2012 - 3 x DD50 Microlifts, Liskeard Villas, Blackheath, London
- 03/07/2012 - Portland Marina – ready and waiting
- 23/04/2012 - Stannah – connecting people in new Dementia Intensive Care Unit
- 16/04/2012 - Triplex passenger lift refurbishment @ University of Bristol
- 16/04/2012 - Stannah – buzzing about Za Za Bazaar
- 16/04/2012 - Stannah add direct access to Georgian splendour
- 12/03/2012 - Stannah to exhibit at The Facilities Show, 15 -17th May at the NEC
- 21/02/2012 - Stannah – pumping new life into the Heart of Hackney
- 16/02/2012 - Stannah – Xtralifting for new Academy
- 03/10/2011 - Megastore lifts have style of their own
- 05/07/2011 - Lowriser - a NEW platform lift from Stannah
- 05/07/2011 - Up and Down at the Junction with Stannah
- 05/07/2011 - Stannah reach the right note for the Royal Opera House Workshop
- 18/05/2011 - Stannah moving walkways take Lincoln superstore to a new level
- 18/05/2011 - Stannah – first choice for Olympic views
- 18/05/2011 - Stannah – tripling access to a £multi-million investment in Kent school
- 14/02/2011 - Scottish local authorities award Stannah £6M+ groundbreaking contract
- 14/02/2011 - Shared values forge new partnership; Stannah and the Brunel Institute
- 11/01/2011 - Stannah - here to help by answering your questions
- 25/05/2010 - Stannah provide freedom at the Hilt
- 06/05/2010 - New Stannah brand embraces the future
- 26/03/2010 - Stannahs' Xtralift increases passenger lift capabilities
- 22/03/2010 - Midilift XLplus is the automatic choice from Stannah
- 18/03/2010 - Stannah give Sue Ryders' stretcher lift a makeover
- 17/03/2010 - Stannah lifts hospital into 21st century
- 10/02/2010 - Travelator lights the way for Bingley shoppers
- 30/11/2009 - Stannah doubles the ‘fáilte’ at O’Neill’s
- 16/11/2009 - Stannah Xtralifts increase capacity
- 04/09/2009 - Stannah Lifts nominated for "Best Sub-Contractor of the Year Award"
- 18/08/2009 - Stannah creeps in on Albert Dock bugs
- 08/06/2009 - Stannah Microlifts at the grange
- 19/05/2009 - Stannah at Kingston Station
- 18/05/2009 - Stannah Lifts gain CHAS accreditation
- 17/04/2009 - ‘On the Waterfront’ featuring Stannah Microlifts
- 13/02/2009 - Stannah Lifts escorts fine diners in top Indian restaurant
- 13/02/2009 - Stannah helps disabled visitors celebrate the joys of Liverpool Cathedral
- 13/02/2009 - Stannah aid MOD in Project SLAMs' massive accommodation upgrade
- 27/01/2009 - Micro-chips lifted by Microlift
- 30/05/2008 - Stannah Microlift - ‘A necessary innovation’
- 08/05/2008 - A bespoke Stannah lift for Sportsworld
- 26/02/2008 - It’s a wrap with a Stannah goods lift
- 20/02/2008 - Stannah add lift to new Waverley Infrastructure Development
- 20/02/2008 - Stannah solve disabled access in Oxley Sports Centre
- 09/10/2007 - Stannah supports message of European Week for Safety & Health
- 08/10/2007 - The whole Stannah commercial product range on CD
- 04/10/2007 - Stannah install a passenger lift in The Withywood Centre
- 04/10/2007 - Stannah install a passenger lifts in Seven Fields.
- 26/09/2007 - Stannah get a taste of the Far East at LOMBOK
- 10/09/2007 - Stannah Lift Services awarded OHSAS 18001 Accreditation
- 24/08/2007 - Stannah’s new Access Lifts Brochure - making access easy
- 19/07/2007 - Stannah at Tonic Restaurant-Bar-Deli in Nottingham
- 18/06/2007 - Stannah elevates the artists at Eastwood Park Theatre
- 13/06/2007 - Stannah provide a helping hand for town house residents
- 13/06/2007 - Your stairlift deserves a little TLC - Jon Stannah offers re-assuring advice to stairlift owners
- 13/06/2007 - ‘Saving the Strain’ - A free Manual Handling Guide from Stannah
- 13/06/2007 - Stannah ensure Peter Rabbit is upwardly mobile!
- 13/06/2007 - Maximising retail space – with Stannah
- 13/06/2007 - Major Lift Refurbishments with Stannah
- 13/06/2007 - Advisory booklet helps lift owners save time and money
- 13/06/2007 - Stannah – NEW ‘lift services’ brochure
- 13/06/2007 - Stannah Access Lifts at Loughborough University
- 13/06/2007 - Stannah make a good move at The Manor House Hotel
- 13/06/2007 - Transparent catering
- 13/06/2007 - Stannah FX – the versatile passenger lift that saves time and money
- 13/06/2007 - Attention to detail
- 13/06/2007 - Stannah add escalators and moving walkways to their portfolio
- 13/06/2007 - Stannah – a family of lift expertise