Flooding and How You Can Reduce Damage
19 July 2012
What do you think will be the underlying memory for people when they think of Summer 2012? The Queens Jubilee? England’s performance at Euro 2012? The Olympic Games? With the last of these still yet to begin, it’s hard to tell what the main event of summer 2012 will be but for many people, this summer will be remembered for the weather and the flooding that has hit many parts of the UK.Climate change is never too far away from the news but whilst rising temperatures and warmer winters have been the talk from experts, recent years has seen worldwide misery and destruction when it comes to the weather. 2004 saw the Boxing Day Tsunami which according to United Nations figures saw resulted in over 186,980 deaths.
In 2005, Hurricane Katrina tore through many parts of the United States with at least 1,836 people losing their lives in the Hurricane and subsequent floods. And in the UK in recent years, more misery in the form of torrential rainfall that has seen homes, businesses and lives destroyed throughout many parts of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Whilst the adverse weather seen in the UK is nowhere near the scale of those witnessed in other parts of the world, lives have still been lost and the clean-up operation, for many, is just now underway.
The UK Business Insurance Broker, Northern Counties Insurance, has produced these helpful tips which home owners and businesses can follow to help them both before and after a loss should they be hit by flooding.
Pre Loss tips include:
• Ensure that (where possible) all electrical equipment and stock is stored at least 4 feet above ground
• Turn off all electrical equipment (excluding burglar alarms)
• Turn off the supply to central heating units if these are at ground level (if possible)
• Whenever and wherever possible move vehicles to higher ground
• Sand bag the premises if there is a high exposure to potential flooding • Consider constructing gullies to funnel water to drains
• Clear all drains and gutters on and around the premises of leaves and any other obstructions to allow an unrestricted flow of water
• Move high value items away from unmanned premises
These are just a few of the things you could consider before falling victim to adverse weather to help reduce the loss and misery you might experience following flooding. So what action can you take once a loss has occured?
Post Loss tips include:
• Remove debris where possible. However if the debris is in any way contaminated, you may need to contact the emergency services first.
• Save items of value for inspection
• If stranded, contact the emergency services immediately
• If possible allow ventilation to the premises
• Consider up to £500 of emergency repairs to mitigate future losses
• Take all appropriate and reasonable measures to protect the premises from future flooding
• Contact your insurance broker or insurance company immediately so they can help make sure your claim is dealt with as quickly and as favourably as possible
Hopefully the weather like we have seen so far in 2012 will be a freak occurrence that doesn’t hit us again, but should storms and flooding continue hopefully these tips for avoiding flood damage will go some way to help you out.
And if you are in any doubt as to what cover you may (or may not) have when it comes to flooding on your home insurance or business insurance, please feel free to contact us on 0800 046 1446 or visit www.ncinsurance.co.uk
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 10/04/2017 - Cyber Risk Calculator Launched to Help Businesses Calculate Data & Cyber Risks
- 10/01/2017 - Supply Chain Risk Management
- 05/01/2017 - 2017 Forecast for Motor Traders
- 21/12/2016 - Top tops for staying safe in the storms this Winter
- 16/12/2016 - Top Tips for Starting a New Business
- 09/08/2012 - Commercial Kitchens Fire Safety Advice
- 09/08/2012 - Directors and Officers Insurance - 10 Reasons Why You May Need It
- 24/07/2012 - What takes 45 seconds and can cost up to 2500 pounds?
- 24/07/2012 - The Secret to Donation Success for UK Charities
- 24/07/2012 - Why Are More Injury Claims Made When They Are Less Accidents?
- 19/07/2012 - Why Rain Equals Pain for UK Home Owners
- 19/07/2012 - How to Help Stop Your New Business Failing
- 09/11/2011 - Budding Nursery Owners Reveal Their Worst Nightmares
- 09/11/2011 - Commercial Insurance Specialist Joins Northern Counties
- 09/11/2011 - Insurance Claims Specialist Appointed to Head Leading Brokers Claim Division
- 09/11/2011 - Staff the Key to Success for Region’s Business Insurance Broker
- 13/10/2010 - UK Businesses Offered Risk Free Way to Increase Profits
- 13/10/2010 - North East set to become UK Charity Insurance Capital
- 13/10/2010 - Staff Key to Success for North East's Leading Insurance Broker
- 15/12/2009 - Nursery Insurance and the questions to ask when buying
- 09/12/2009 - Nursery Insurance – how to get the very best deal
- 30/10/2009 - Top tips for buying community group insurance
- 27/10/2009 - Trustee Indemnity Insurance - how to protect charities trustees
- 27/10/2009 - Secrets finally revealed to cheaper motor trade insurance
- 26/10/2009 - Why you need trustee Indemnity Insurance
- 26/10/2009 - Essential tips for buying small charity insurance
- 23/10/2009 - The changing face of charitable gifts
- 22/10/2009 - Amazing facts that affect our children everyday
- 22/10/2009 - Risk Management advice for UK charities
- 20/10/2009 - What makes something the best in the world?
- 19/10/2009 - Why smarter charity promotion is needed
- 19/10/2009 - Online help for small charities hits the UK
- 15/10/2009 - Nursery insurance and why expert advice is essential
- 15/10/2009 - Is the gift of giving falling as christmas approaches?
- 14/10/2009 - Identifying risks in the charity world
- 14/10/2009 - How much should nurseries be paying for insurance?
- 14/10/2009 - Essential tips for running a small charity on a budget
- 13/10/2009 - Church insurance and why religion is becoming a risky business
- 13/10/2009 - Community group insurance experts explain the secrets to success
- 06/10/2009 - Charity insurance - the secrets to getting yours for less
- 06/10/2009 - Charity insuranceb brokers NCI explain why charities must embrace technology
- 06/10/2009 - Charities and their fight for survival
- 06/10/2009 - Charity insurance experts explain why charities are becoming twits
- 02/10/2009 - Charity Insurance – the questions to ask when looking for cover