The silent treatment for award winning eco-friendly library
23 July 2012
Windows are an important architectural element of many traditional libraries but being single glazed they provide minimal thermal insulation and poor acoustics.Due to technological and design advances in recent years, Secondary Glazing now provides an attractive and practical solution to these issues, particularly for Listed buildings.
A secondary window is a reversible adaptation and, with sensitive design, it can provide a sympathetic addition to any building. This will offer far more significant noise insulation than standard double glazed units and the use of thermally efficient glass will reduce heat loss by more than half. Security of collections is also becoming more important and secondary glazing, accredited to Secured by Design or to Loss Prevention standards, will provide a significant but discrete barrier.
The company’s challenge at Enfield Town’s Library was to help bring the original 1912 building up to today’s demanding standards of thermal and noise insulation while maintaining the Listed character of its Edwardian façade. To achieve this, Selectaglaze treated a total of 27 sash windows with a combination of vertical sliding counter-balanced units and Lift-Out units, thus enhancing the building’s green credentials and at the same time keeping the noise of the town traffic at bay.
Established since 1966 and a Royal Warrant Holder since 2004, Selectaglaze is at the forefront of product development and design. The extensive range of systems has undergone rigorous third party assessment and tests covering acoustics, thermal efficiency, and resistance to intruder or blast.
Selectaglaze’s product literature and data sheets covering performance and test results are available, free, on request from: email@example.com or telephone 01727 837271. Alternatively, visit the company’s comprehensive website: www.selectaglaze.co.uk
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 01/08/2014 - Supreme Energy Efficiency For County Hall
- 10/07/2014 - All quiet at St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School
- 20/06/2014 - Selectaglaze at the V&A
- 22/05/2014 - The Hallé Orchestra – Silenced by Selectaglaze!
- 15/05/2014 - Selectaglaze helps keep ‘Silence in the Library’
- 06/03/2014 - Selectaglaze on track
- 20/02/2014 - A Winning Performance in the “Golden Mile” – GREAT WEST HOUSE, BRENTFORD
- 18/02/2014 - A Feast For The Eyes
- 10/02/2014 - Selectaglaze - The sECOndary Glazing Specialist
- 07/02/2014 - Selectaglaze - The sECOndary Glazing Specialist
- 08/10/2013 - A Warmer Holme for Jordan’s Mills – Courtesy of Selectaglaze
- 23/09/2013 - English Heritage at the Engine House, Swindon - Selectaglaze Awarded Return Ticket
- 19/07/2013 - Stylish Secondary Glazing from Selectaglaze
- 29/05/2013 - Selectaglaze at The Coronation Festival, Buckingham Palace - 11th – 14th July 2013
- 17/05/2013 - University of Arts London – Student Accommodation at Camberwell Campus
- 30/04/2013 - CPD and Networking Opportunity
- 11/04/2013 - CPD At The Building Centre
- 19/02/2013 - Guidance literature for energy saving in Period Buildings
- 06/02/2013 - Selectaglaze at Radcliffe Infirmary
- 29/01/2013 - Contemporary Comfort in Listed Property
- 04/12/2012 - Making a Noise about Noise
- 15/11/2012 - Tate Liverpool
- 20/09/2012 - Selectaglaze Helps The Ages to Work Together
- 05/09/2012 - "Super Luxury" at Grosvenor House Apartments
- 23/07/2012 - CPD Update oF Selectaglaze's “Understanding and Specifying Secondary Glazing”
- 23/07/2012 - Selectaglaze assists with ground breaking housing scheme for disabled people
- 23/07/2012 - Selectaglaze Help put the "Green" in the UK-GBC