Good Directions restores clock to old school façade for new housing scheme
13 August 2012
Good Directions Ltd has restored a clock on the retained façade of an old grammar school building in Banbury to mark the site’s £9.7 million redevelopment of the Stanbridge Hall building into a housing scheme for the over-55s.The clock began ticking again during a special ceremony where representatives from the involved organisations met at the site, which in now complete and known as Stanbridge House.
Planners were keen to retain elements of the site’s former use, planning its interior design to reflect previous features, as well as the cleaning and restoring of the original façade, including re-instating the clock. We were asked to manufacture a Skeleton style clock on a white backing to exactly fit the original decorative stonework on the building, with an extended shaft to house the mechanism the other side of the wall. The replacement clock is fitted with our clock resynchroniser so that it can automatically restart after any power failures and re-set at the summer and winter time changes.
Housing 21’s Development Programme Manager, said: "I’m sure local people will share our delight in seeing the old clock working again. Retaining the existing iconic façade has been an important aspect of the development of Stanbridge House and it is pleasing to see how the old and new have come together."
Good Directions has spent nearly 25 years building a reputation worldwide as a market leader in the design, construction, installation and restoration of exterior clocks and clock towers with past projects including Leicester Square ticket office and IRA bombed St Ethelburgas church in London, as well as others at Warwick Castle, Leeds Castle, Harbour House Southampton Docks and St James’ Hospital in Portsmouth.
For other examples of our work please visit: www.exterior-clocks.co.uk
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 20/12/2016 - Two Great British clock manufacturers join forces as Good Directions Ltd acquires Shire Clocks Ltd.
- 19/12/2016 - Mach Engineering manufacturing parts for new Aston Martin powerboat
- 19/06/2015 - Pillar clocks create a real focal point in the street scene
- 10/02/2014 - Commemorative clock now has pride of place in Burley
- 08/10/2013 - Good Directions launch new range of Clock Tables
- 14/08/2013 - Two Great British manufacturers join forces as Good Directions Ltd acquires Neptune Outdoor Furniture Ltd.
- 05/11/2012 - Good Directions Ltd design bespoke clocks for Grand Designs Live exhibition
- 31/07/2012 - New Jubilee pillar clock by Good Directions Ltd unveiled by Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall
- 11/07/2011 - Good Directions Ltd manufactures bespoke clock for new Disney store in London.
- 06/07/2011 - Pupil wins replica clock for designing a new large exterior clock for Darrick Wood school.
- 06/07/2011 - 4m high exterior clock feature manufactured for new park in Azerbaijan.
- 18/05/2011 - Stafford 'Heroes' Clock
- 18/05/2011 - Good Directions new landmark exterior clock for Banbury unveiled by the Mayor.
- 17/05/2011 - Harrods choose Good Directions to manufacture Big Ben replica for new signature room.
- 17/05/2011 - Azerbaijan's Largest Exterior Clock Manufactured by Good Directions Ltd
- 13/05/2011 - Good Directions new landmark exterior clock for Banbury unveiled by the Mayor
- 05/05/2011 - New Town Clock for Bingham by Good Directions Ltd
- 05/05/2011 - World's largest Grandfather clock manufactured by Good Directions Ltd?
- 20/04/2011 - A new pavement clock for Windsor installed with time capsule hidden below.
- 13/09/2010 - Good Directions clock in on time for Daybreak
- 21/07/2009 - Restoring stopped clocks are steps in Good Directions