Available in the UK from Ixthus Instrumentation: over forty Strainsert customised force sensors are deployed on the Mars Rover Curiosity
06 September 2012
The USA based premier force sensor manufacturer, Strainsert Company, recently announced that it has supplied over forty customised sensors that have been deployed across NASA's Mars Science Laboratory mission which recently and successfully landed its Mars Rover Curiosity mobile laboratory in the Gale Crater area on the Red Planet.Represented exclusively in the UK by non contact sensor, transducer and measurement experts, Ixthus Instrumentation, Strainsert designed and manufactured mission critical sensors for various functions including the major spacecraft separations (cruise stage, heat shield, descent stage, ballast masts and rover), as well as the retention of the mobility (wheels), high gain antenna, camera mast, robotic arm and mechanisms retaining two spare drill bits.
Strainsert's standard and customised load cells, load pins and force sensors are used for many other demanding applications in research, testing, weighing and control in the aerospace, military, marine and automotive industries. The Company has worked closely with NASA over several decades for major space programs and has developed patented transducer designs for many other challenging application areas that are made possible by an innovative internal strain gauging process where foil strain gauges are actually bonded and sealed inside small bore holes, as part of complete load bearing components.
Ixthus Instrumentation works closely with Strainsert, providing cost-effective solutions for tough load measurement applications where this internal or 'down-hole' strain gauging technique offers considerable protection benefits for high accuracy force measurement from 100 N to 5 MN.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 29/04/2016 - RIFTEK’S new IDK Compact wheel diameter measurement gauge is now available from Ixthus Instrumentation
- 26/01/2016 - New Burster 8661 series dual-range torque sensor available from Ixthus
- 14/09/2015 - Machinery health monitoring in hazardous areas
- 17/07/2015 - Portable high precision sensor measurement tool for test, calibration and fault finding
- 13/03/2015 - Ixthus expands sensor range: VLPSC position sensors have autosensing voltage and current output with simple teach mode for span and zero
- 03/03/2015 - Torque and angle measurement for PTO shafts: NCTE’s new 7500 series torque sensor is available from Ixthus Instrumentation
- 02/07/2013 - Expanded capabilities of Metrix SETPOINT™ machinery condition monitoring and protection system are available from Ixthus
- 02/07/2013 - Available in the UK from Ixthus Instrumentation:
- 02/07/2013 - New high speed laser potion sensor
- 02/07/2013 - Ixthus Instrumentation’s wheel diameter gauge provides fast and accurate rolling circle measurement
- 05/09/2012 - Expanded capabilities of Metrix SETPOINT
- 08/03/2012 - New range of signal conditioners from Ixthus Instrumentation
- 16/01/2012 - New Burster 8661 non contact torque sensor available from Ixthus
- 05/07/2011 - Novel torque transducer technology can be integrated in critical power transmission components
- 15/01/2010 - New Website for Ixthus Instrumentation Ltd
- 21/05/2009 - Ixthus appointed UK distributors for Philtec fibre optic displacement sensor range
- 22/08/2007 - New Eddy current non-contact position measurement
- 21/05/2007 - Laser Works With Every Paint Finish!
- 21/05/2007 - Non Contact Position Measurement