Compulsory school cooking lessons: the solution to childhood obesity?
06 November 2012
Chef Jamie Oliver and England footballer Steven Gerard are just two of the celebrities that joined medical and nutrition experts in campaigning to David Cameron earlier this year urging him to make school cookery lessons compulsory for all children aged five to 14 to help fight childhood obesity.Education secretary Michael Gove has been heavily criticised for failing to do enough to tackle obesity in schools and encourage good diet and exercise.
Cookery writer and judge on BBC series The Great British Bake Off commented in an interview with The Telegraph in July: “Cookery should be in schools. When everybody leaves school, whether boys or girls, what do they have to do in the home? Produce a meal. And they haven’t been taught to do it. It should be absolutely essential.”
Currently cooking is part of design and technology in the national curriculum which is compulsory in all maintained schools in key stages one to three (ages five to 14) however Gove’s determination to devolve more decisions to head teachers, could mean that some schools fall short of the recommended 24 hours of compulsory food and cooking education during a school year.
Whatever government decides, those head teachers that commit to the minimum 24 hours school cooking lessons and properly maintain their school teaching kitchens and equipment to aid learning are likely to significantly improve the health and wellbeing of their pupils. However food education goes beyond the school curriculum. Although legislation introduced by the Labour government to improve nutritional standards for school dinners had a positive effect, government is powerless to dictate the content of school packed lunches and what food children eat outside of school.
Far too many children are regularly given crisps, chocolate and fizzy drinks as part of their packed lunch, so despite schools’ efforts to improve food education, parents must also take action to help in the fight against childhood obesity.
If your school teaching kitchens are in need of refurbishment to help improve the quality of cooking lessons in your school, contact us on 01843 604896.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 11/04/2014 - Hospital Furniture Manufacturer Launches New Responsive Website
- 11/04/2014 - Bailey Furniture Systems completes £48,000 Hertfordshire faith school refurbishment
- 11/04/2014 - Vet chain gets the David Bailey treatment
- 17/12/2013 - School library furniture that inspires learning
- 03/09/2013 - David Bailey fits out Maternity Ward where Prince George was born
- 23/07/2013 - David Bailey completes two new hospital furniture contracts with Kier Construction
- 29/05/2013 - Top marks for Claycots Primary School’s fitted furniture
- 29/05/2013 - David Bailey Furniture’s perfect delivery
- 10/12/2012 - David Bailey’s ‘first’ as convent school furniture supplier
- 06/11/2012 - It’s time for standardisation of healthcare building design
- 08/10/2012 - Safety in the classroom
- 13/08/2012 - Fitting furniture for school refurb and redevelopment
- 03/07/2012 - David Bailey wins £1 million fitted hospital furniture contract for new development
- 10/04/2012 - Sovereign HarbourGPs give thumbs up to new Medical Centre furniture
- 10/04/2012 - Celebrating 30 years as UK fitted furniture manufacturers
- 05/04/2012 - Sovereign Harbour GPS give thumbs up to new Medical Centre Furniture
- 05/04/2012 - Celebrating 30 Years as UK Fitted Furniture Manufacturer
- 08/02/2012 - David Bailey’s reputation reaches Afghanistan
- 02/11/2011 - Take a Virtual Tour of David Bailey's Education Furniture
- 27/07/2011 - NHS recommends David Bailey for sexual health clinic refurbishment
- 23/06/2011 - David Bailey to aid wounded troops in Afghanistan
- 28/04/2011 - David Bailey Furniture stars in ITV Medical Drama
- 07/02/2011 - New child-safe hinge for school furniture
- 06/12/2010 - FOR PETS IN NEED OF VETERINARY FURNITURE
- 14/09/2010 - David Bailey offers veterinary furniture direct
- 23/07/2010 - Medical furniture manufacturer refurbishes new dental college
- 23/12/2009 - David Bailey provides new Technology College furniture
- 25/11/2009 - David Baileys' double Hospital refurbishment in Channel Islands
- 04/11/2009 - David Bailey sentenced to Prison furniture refurbishment
- 27/08/2009 - St. Helier Hospital gets the David Bailey treatment
- 03/08/2009 - David Bailey launches new website
- 11/05/2009 - Healthy growth means expansion for David Bailey
- 15/04/2009 - David Bailey refurbishment at Great Ormond Street Hospital
- 25/03/2009 - Special School furniture installation approved by Head Teacher
- 16/01/2009 - Specialist Educational Furniture specified for Primary and Secondary School installation
- 16/12/2008 - Primary School gets Safety Make Over
- 09/10/2008 - Queen Alexandra Hospital gets the David Bailey
- 02/06/2008 - Furniture manufacturer takes giant step to reduce Carbon Footprint
- 02/06/2008 - Healthline furniture fits out new Oncology unit
- 02/06/2008 - A painfree installation for St Thomas' Hospital