University of Arts London – Student Accommodation at Camberwell Campus
17 May 2013
South House - one of four properties converted into student accommodationPreviously occupied by Southwark Council, this £6.6m project undertaken by The Miller Group involved the major refurbishment and conversion of four 18th Century buildings, three of which are Grade 11 Listed, to provide campus-style halls of residence together with leisure and catering facilities for students attending Camberwell College of Arts.
Conveniently situated next door to the College, the Camberwell Campus offers affordable accommodation for up to 155 students and consists of a combination of single and twin rooms arranged into shared flats and self-contained studios.
The College is one of the world’s foremost art and design institutions and one of six colleges that form the University of Arts London (UAL). There is a huge national shortage of quality affordable student accommodation, particularly in and around London; and to be able to offer potential students this standard and range of living-space plays an important role in attracting high quality applicants to Camberwell.
The development aimed to achieve a BREEAM very good rating and provide a quiet and secure environment for the students. The existing single glazed sash windows could not meet the necessary performance levels but an effective solution to both the insulation and security requirements was found with Selectaglaze’s specialist secondary glazing systems.
These were designed to be sympathetic to the existing windows using matching sliding sash units or full sized hinged casements. Toughened low emissivity glass was specified to maximise thermal insulation, achieving U-values below 2.0, and improve safety. More vulnerable windows were treated with products having a Police Preferred Specification under the Secured by Design initiative and all windows were positioned with a deep cavity to optimise sound insulation. Noise reductions of 45dB are typically achieved.
A total of 350 widows were treated and, as a reversible adaptation to the building, the work is fully acceptable to English Heritage.
Selectaglaze, founded in 1966 and a Royal Warrant holder since 2004, is an original designer of secondary glazing systems working with a very wide range of clients and has developed particular expertise in the treatment of period buildings.
The company provides an extensive range of literature and guidance notes covering acoustics, thermal performance and security and also offers a technical advisory service and a RIBA approved CPD Seminar for professional designers.
For further information, please contact the Marketing Department on 01727 837271; e-mail: email@example.com or visit the company’s comprehensive website at:
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 01/08/2014 - Supreme Energy Efficiency For County Hall
- 10/07/2014 - All quiet at St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School
- 20/06/2014 - Selectaglaze at the V&A
- 22/05/2014 - The Hallé Orchestra – Silenced by Selectaglaze!
- 15/05/2014 - Selectaglaze helps keep ‘Silence in the Library’
- 06/03/2014 - Selectaglaze on track
- 20/02/2014 - A Winning Performance in the “Golden Mile” – GREAT WEST HOUSE, BRENTFORD
- 18/02/2014 - A Feast For The Eyes
- 10/02/2014 - Selectaglaze - The sECOndary Glazing Specialist
- 07/02/2014 - Selectaglaze - The sECOndary Glazing Specialist
- 08/10/2013 - A Warmer Holme for Jordan’s Mills – Courtesy of Selectaglaze
- 23/09/2013 - English Heritage at the Engine House, Swindon - Selectaglaze Awarded Return Ticket
- 19/07/2013 - Stylish Secondary Glazing from Selectaglaze
- 29/05/2013 - Selectaglaze at The Coronation Festival, Buckingham Palace - 11th – 14th July 2013
- 30/04/2013 - CPD and Networking Opportunity
- 11/04/2013 - CPD At The Building Centre
- 19/02/2013 - Guidance literature for energy saving in Period Buildings
- 06/02/2013 - Selectaglaze at Radcliffe Infirmary
- 29/01/2013 - Contemporary Comfort in Listed Property
- 04/12/2012 - Making a Noise about Noise
- 15/11/2012 - Tate Liverpool
- 20/09/2012 - Selectaglaze Helps The Ages to Work Together
- 05/09/2012 - "Super Luxury" at Grosvenor House Apartments
- 23/07/2012 - CPD Update oF Selectaglaze's “Understanding and Specifying Secondary Glazing”
- 23/07/2012 - Selectaglaze assists with ground breaking housing scheme for disabled people
- 23/07/2012 - Selectaglaze Help put the "Green" in the UK-GBC
- 23/07/2012 - The silent treatment for award winning eco-friendly library