Legionnaires’ disease – tackling the risk
14 August 2013
Help is on hand for hotels, spas and restaurants serious about tackling the risk of Legonnaires’ disease.TM Electronics has developed the TC Wall Port: a new low-cost wall accessory working with discrete sensors to monitor boxed-in TMV’s, concealed pipes and covered water tanks up to 20 meters away. A perfect solution for convenient and cosmetic water temperature monitoring.
What is Legionnaires’ disease? A potentially fatal disease caused by the legionella bacterium, which may be present in tepid water and is spread by inhalation of fine water droplets or spray.
What are the health and safety regulations? The HSE’s code of practise L8, requires all businesses to implement a full legionella risk assessment, and to maintain an effective water temperature testing regime.
What is an effective testing regime? Water outlets must be monitored throughout a building – typically once a month – to ensure safe water temperatures.
What is a safe water temperature? Hot water in a building should be stored above 60°C and distributed above 50°C, and cold water distributed below 20°C.
What is the risk for hotels, spas and restaurants? A Philadelphia hotel was the location of the first reported outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in 1976. A Barrow local authority arts centre was the source of one of the worst UK outbreaks, killing 7 people in 2002. And in recent years, restaurants in both America and Spain have been affected – one outbreak being traced back to an ornamental fountain in a restaurant lobby.
Large hotels, hospitals, museums and offices pose a higher risk due to the sheer size and complexity of their heating and hot water systems. But high-risk installations in buildings of any size include showers, spa baths, water features and rooms with low/infrequent use.
Trust the experts. UK manufacturer, TM Electronics, leads the field in temperature measurement equipment for legionella prevention, supplying the hospitality sector with robust, waterproof thermometers, specialist surface/immersion probes and low-cost kits and accessories.
MD, Tom Sensier, says: “Our reliable fast-response thermometers and discrete sensors combine perfectly with the ingenious TC Wall Port - as small and unobtrusive as a phone socket - making your testing regime much quicker and easier than ever before.”
What is a TC Wall Port? A thermocouple test port (52 x 52 mm) for spot checks on water outlets with difficult or impaired access. Temperatures are taken by ‘plugging’ in a standard thermocouple thermometer - much simpler than dismantling boxing or working at height to access covered tanks.
How does it work? - Discrete fine-wire sensors (available in a variety of lengths) are attached to the temperature test point (such as a pipe or tank) and left in-situ. The wires are fitted into conduits or run neatly to the TC Wall Port which is screwed to the wall.
Paperless recording. For a paperless recording system - less vulnerable to human error - the front cover of the test port is recessed to take an ID or barcode label which can be scanned by TME’s MM7000 Bluetooth Barcode thermometer. This combination allows 1,000s of locations and temperatures to be logged, stored and downloaded to PC/PDA, using free open-source software.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 30/03/2017 - TME Thermometers Announce New UK Trade Show Offers for 2017/2018
- 28/10/2016 - Fantastic follow-up for TME at Lunch! 2016
- 28/10/2016 - Legionella water testing – healthcare delegates applaud practicality
- 06/10/2016 - NEW hot and cold water temperature aids for legionella risk management
- 26/05/2016 - Wish You Could Have Your Cake and Eat It?
- 26/05/2016 - Think you can’t afford high performance food thermometers?
- 14/04/2016 - New Low Cost Temperature Testing Fights Food Bacteria
- 16/02/2016 - Colourful New Probes Fight Food Bacteria
- 10/12/2015 - NEW Thermometer with Integral Timer simplifies Legionella Water Tests
- 28/09/2015 - TME’s Legionella Temperature Range at IHEEM 2015
- 01/09/2015 - TME: Best-selling thermometers at Lunch!
- 28/07/2015 - Nuts to greenhouses – Smart testing solutions from TME
- 30/06/2015 - New efficient, sustainable temperature measurement solutions at IT Food Summit 2015
- 22/06/2015 - Top 5 Thermometer Buys for the Professional Kitchen
- 10/04/2015 - British thermometers catch the eye at Anuga FoodTec
- 16/03/2015 - New Generation ThermoBarScan offers instant feedback on temperature measurements
- 12/03/2015 - UK Thermometer Business celebrates 25 Years of Innovation at Anuga
- 12/03/2015 - Casual Dining visitors bowled over by barcode thermometers
- 23/01/2015 - TME Celebrate 25th Anniversary at Casual Dining 2015
- 20/06/2014 - School Thermometer Offers from TME at LACA 2014
- 16/05/2014 - New Temperature Logging System Steals the Limelight
- 25/04/2014 - Breaking News! 10% discount on all TM Electronics products at Hotelympia 2014!
- 07/04/2014 - New Temperature Technology Delivers the Best Results
- 03/04/2014 - TME Thermocouples comply with new BSI Standard
- 25/03/2014 - Free School Meals Plan - Special Offers on Catering Thermometers
- 04/03/2014 - TME Catering Thermometers at Hotelympia 2014 – Good Advice Guaranteed
- 04/03/2014 - New Food Kit gives start-ups a helping hand
- 04/03/2014 - TME reports 80% rise in online orders following launch of new website
- 30/01/2014 - TME Food Thermometers at FOODEX 2014 – Good Advice Guaranteed
- 21/11/2013 - New solution for cold/hot food monitoring saves time and hassle
- 19/08/2013 - Temperature measurement experts launch new solution for Cold/Hot Food Monitoring
- 19/08/2013 - Food Temperature Monitoring – Great New Ideas from TM Electronics
- 21/05/2013 - Legionella experts launch new solution for difficult to access temperature points
- 25/03/2013 - Legionnaires’ disease – Hotels tackle the risk
- 15/03/2013 - TME show new catering thermometer range at Bournemouth Hotel & Catering Show
- 20/09/2012 - New Deal on Legionella Monitoring for LEA Schools
- 20/09/2012 - TME’s New Deal for Cost Sector Caterers
- 20/09/2012 - TME set to outrun the competition at this year’s Restaurant Show
- 10/07/2012 - Legionnaires’ disease – protecting schools and colleges
- 10/07/2012 - TME thermometers – faster than the competition
- 21/06/2012 - Streamlined Food Temperature Monitoring from TME
- 21/06/2012 - Temperature Hot Spots from TME
- 16/02/2012 - TME Thermometer Pollat Hotelympia 2012 - Win a £200 DEBENHAMS Shopping Spree
- 16/02/2012 - Waterproof and Fast- TME showcases improved Sous Vide Temperature Kit with ThermaSprint Technology at Hotelympia 2012
- 16/02/2012 - Preventing Legionnaires' Disease Help for Hotels & Guesthouses at Hotelympia 2012
- 16/02/2012 - Preventing Legionnaires Disease: Help for Care Homes
- 16/02/2012 - All the best connections from TME
- 12/01/2012 - From Goods Inwards to Dispatch– NEW ‘1 for all’ temperature system from TME
- 12/01/2012 - Rapid response, interchangeable temperature probes
- 05/01/2012 - Chefs in a hurry? Visit TME at Hotelympia 2012
- 05/01/2012 - Schools choose TME Kit for in-house testing
- 05/01/2012 - Bag yourself a Sous Vide Temperature Kit for just £135
- 04/01/2012 - New Year Offers from TME
- 01/06/2011 - Speciality meat probes from TM Electronics - MEATUP 2011 - Stand 515
- 01/06/2011 - TM Electronics (UK) Ltd is proud to support MEATUP 2011
- 29/03/2011 - Success for TME’s 2-in-1 Dual Purpose Surface/Immersion Probe
- 28/03/2011 - TME Recommends New Thermometer Range for Facilities Managers
- 14/03/2011 - TME Recommends New Thermometer Range for Food Retailers
- 14/03/2011 - Protect your stock with TME’s New Cold Storage Temperature Kit
- 19/05/2010 - TME Exhibit New Bluetooth Barcode Thermometers at 2010 Facilities Show
- 05/02/2010 - Win a prize, bag a bargain, try before you buy at Hotelympia 2010
- 26/03/2009 - New Barcode Thermometer for Water Temperature Monitoring
- 22/07/2008 - Totting up the Temperature