A Feast For The Eyes
18 February 2014
Selectaglaze at Covent Garden’s MEATmarketRoyal Warrant Holder Selectaglaze Ltd., is best known as the UK’s foremost designer and manufacturer of bespoke secondary glazing systems, having in the past 45 years worked in many of the country’s most famous and historic buildings. But a recent project in London’s Covent Garden is perhaps one of the most eye-catching to date involving a 26 metre screen fitted at the MEATmarket, a quick-eat fast-food burger kitchen housed within the 1904 Grade 2 Listed Jubilee Market Hall and overlooking the covered market stalls, which boast the best and broadest selection of antiques in London.
Originally, the MEATmarket platform had no windows, just PVC strip curtains and netting, which was unattractive and did little to filter out the noise from the busy market below.
Working in conjunction with refurbishment specialist PJ Harte, Selectaglaze was briefed to design, manufacture and install a glazed screen incorporating fixed and horizontally sliding units to seal off the burger kitchen from the Market and improve both the acoustics and the environment.
The screen is nearly 3m high and was designed to fit around the deep ceiling beams and existing pipework. A total of 34 frames with 68 individual panes some shaped and all incorporating safety glass were installed.
The work needed to be undertaken after the burger kitchen had closed so that the day-to-day running of the business was not interrupted; the installation was completed over 6 nights.
The owners subsequently arranged for the glass to be filmed with eye catching graphics to create a real ‘Retro’ feel.
Selectaglaze, founded in 1966 and a Royal Warrant holder since 2004, works with a very wide range of clients and has developed particular expertise in the treatment of period buildings.
The company provides an extensive range of literature and guidance notes covering acoustics, thermal performance and security and also offers a technical advisory service and a RIBA approved CPD Seminar for professional designers.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 01/08/2014 - Supreme Energy Efficiency For County Hall
- 10/07/2014 - All quiet at St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School
- 20/06/2014 - Selectaglaze at the V&A
- 22/05/2014 - The Hallé Orchestra – Silenced by Selectaglaze!
- 15/05/2014 - Selectaglaze helps keep ‘Silence in the Library’
- 06/03/2014 - Selectaglaze on track
- 20/02/2014 - A Winning Performance in the “Golden Mile” – GREAT WEST HOUSE, BRENTFORD
- 10/02/2014 - Selectaglaze - The sECOndary Glazing Specialist
- 07/02/2014 - Selectaglaze - The sECOndary Glazing Specialist
- 08/10/2013 - A Warmer Holme for Jordan’s Mills – Courtesy of Selectaglaze
- 23/09/2013 - English Heritage at the Engine House, Swindon - Selectaglaze Awarded Return Ticket
- 19/07/2013 - Stylish Secondary Glazing from Selectaglaze
- 29/05/2013 - Selectaglaze at The Coronation Festival, Buckingham Palace - 11th – 14th July 2013
- 17/05/2013 - University of Arts London – Student Accommodation at Camberwell Campus
- 30/04/2013 - CPD and Networking Opportunity
- 11/04/2013 - CPD At The Building Centre
- 19/02/2013 - Guidance literature for energy saving in Period Buildings
- 06/02/2013 - Selectaglaze at Radcliffe Infirmary
- 29/01/2013 - Contemporary Comfort in Listed Property
- 04/12/2012 - Making a Noise about Noise
- 15/11/2012 - Tate Liverpool
- 20/09/2012 - Selectaglaze Helps The Ages to Work Together
- 05/09/2012 - "Super Luxury" at Grosvenor House Apartments
- 23/07/2012 - CPD Update oF Selectaglaze's “Understanding and Specifying Secondary Glazing”
- 23/07/2012 - Selectaglaze assists with ground breaking housing scheme for disabled people
- 23/07/2012 - Selectaglaze Help put the "Green" in the UK-GBC
- 23/07/2012 - The silent treatment for award winning eco-friendly library