Megger say Goodbye to their most Popular Product
06 October 2008
The AVO Model 8 became the most popular professional multimeter in the market since its launch in 1951 but difficulty in obtaining the components has forced Megger to remove it from the market after 57 years of production.
Launched to in 1951 the AVO Model 8 quickly became the most popular professional multimeter of the 20th Century but after 57 years the final Model 8 will leave Megger’s Dover factory in October, where it has been produced since its introduction.
Despite rising prices over the years, forced by the labour-intensive production methods needed to manufacture analogue instruments, demand for the AVO Model 8 has continued to this day, albeit at much reduced levels. The decision to discontinue this iconic product has, however, been forced by the lack of availability of the components needed for its production.
“This is, in some ways, a sad moment,” said Nick Hilditch of Megger, “but it has to be said that measurement technology has moved on a long way since the AVO 8 was designed. Our latest multimeters offer much more than the AVO 8 ever could and, of course, they’re much more competitively priced.”
“One thing hasn’t changed, however,” he continued. “When the AVO 8 was launched, we were at the forefront of developments in portable instrument technology, and today we still retain that position. Our development laboratories in Dover and the USA continue to come up with innovative instruments that satisfy our customers’ needs efficiently and cost effectively.”
The last production batch of the AVO Model 8 is currently available to be purchased.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 13/08/2012 - Megger pinpoints cable faults with accuracy and ease
- 13/08/2012 - Megger acquires SebaKMT
- 13/08/2012 - Megger rewards online excellence
- 13/08/2012 - Measure phase angle quickly and easily with Megger
- 28/03/2011 - Megger catalogues contractor kit comprehensively
- 03/03/2011 - What happened at Newbury?
- 09/02/2011 - Megger’s new multimeter combines safety with versatility
- 11/01/2011 - Check voltage and more with Megger two-pole testers
- 05/01/2011 - Megger earth testers have the clamp of convenience
- 10/11/2010 - Testing to address the transformer threat
- 10/11/2010 - Megger helps keep SS Shieldhall shipshape
- 14/09/2010 - Time is running out for Megger’s money making events
- 07/09/2010 - MEGGER SUPPORT IS THERE WHEN YOU NEED IT!
- 23/07/2010 - Megger ups the ante in oil testing
- 15/07/2010 - Megger socialises online
- 06/07/2010 - Winding resistance quickly and safely with Megger
- 18/03/2010 - Megger’s EGIL simplifies breaker analysis
- 18/03/2010 - New catalogue from Megger is packed with opportunity
- 01/03/2010 - Megger provides contractors with more Business In A Box
- 13/11/2009 - Megger backs a winner with Central Trade Skills
- 04/09/2009 - Megger introduces on site training
- 28/08/2009 - Own Meggers' last ever AVO
- 31/07/2009 - Megger supports IEC 61850 for protective relay testing
- 29/06/2009 - Megger helps trainees with their tests
- 24/04/2009 - Megger measures low resistance anywhere
- 16/04/2009 - Megger has the definitive test for transformer insulation
- 27/03/2009 - Megger delivers versatility in easy relay testing
- 04/03/2009 - Megger Transformer maintenence minimises failure cover risk
- 16/12/2008 - Fancy a Business in a Box?
- 12/12/2008 - Megger Keeps the Western Locomotive Running
- 25/11/2008 - Measurement of Moisture in Oil Made Easy by Megger
- 07/11/2008 - Megger's TDR Plugs Revenue Leaks
- 14/10/2008 - The Transformer
- 13/10/2008 - Megger’s PowerDB Turns Results into Revenue
- 19/08/2008 - Condition Assessment without a Laptop
- 19/08/2008 - Transformer testing with speed and accuracy
- 17/07/2008 - Earth Testing made Easy
- 16/07/2008 - The case of the flying Megger meters!
- 14/07/2008 - Megger Helps Students Pass
- 20/05/2008 - Megger makes testing easier with Bluetooth