21st Century Technology catches up with Access Control in Data Centres
10 October 2014
Game changing technology and bullet-proof physical security with indisputable audit trails. A strong step towards unifying compliance and security programs – right up to the server cabinet door.
There have been several breaches of security at high profile institutions in recent times, and almost every day brings a new story of how a building has been compromised and critical data or hardware destroyed or stolen.
It is believed that breaches of security at data centres comprise over 40% of data loss, sabotage and attack.
More than ever before data centre security and physical IT assets are at risk. Whether it is from perceived outside threats or from internal team members, threats to the data and the customers’ critical data continue to grow. A 2011 Gabriel Group Survey* states that over 60% of today’s malicious security breaches are at the hands of company insiders.
Data centre operators have long understood the need for physical access control on server cabinets. In corporate facilities, where data centres are potentially exposed to a significant number of employees, mission-critical servers must be protected from thumb drive data theft and from theft of a server itself. Those same considerations apply to colocation facilities, which must also reassure customers that their servers are individually secure within a generally secured facility.
Certainly, there are many ways of securing data centres, and many solutions have evolved over time to address access control at doors and server cabinets.
Physically securing private information in data centres has proven challenging however, as the necessary technology has lagged far behind network security technology. The network security industry is a steady stream of innovative response to high-tech threats. For most data centres, physical security rests with technology from the last millennium.
In practice, even those enterprises that are highly concerned about addressing risks related to physical access have been unable to elevate alerts and audits to the level possible for network security. This is primarily a matter of deficient technology, as 100% accurate alerting and auditing solutions for physical access have typically extended no further than a data centre’s front door.
The problem is because those solutions evolved separately to address individual access points, rather than addressing the overall needs of the data centre. In contrast, this new Biometric system is designed with an eye toward overall facility needs, and is unique in its ability to serve as a single, networked platform to completely secure every access point throughout a data centre – right up to the server cabinets themselves!
A new Biometric operated handle provides, for the first time, unique finger print technology stored and processed in the handle on the cabinet with an “Indisputable Audit Trail” to protect valuable data and is compliant with the various data privacy rules and regulations such as: PCI, SOX, SSAE 16 and HIPPA.
The need to protect sensitive data has never been higher, from the perspective of both good business practice and regulatory compliance – and that applies to physical as well as to network access.
Physical security does not guarantee compliance, and compliance does not guarantee physical security. But the availability of a single, networked platform that can deliver biometric access control to every access point within an enterprise, with an indisputable audit trail, is a strong step toward unifying compliance and security programs – right up to the server cabinets themselves.
There are already in excess of 500 of these new Biometric systems installed, none of which have been breached.
Who is bringing this technology into the market?
This is a partnership between two of the leading manufacturers in their field in the physical data centre security and data cabinet market.
EMKA is one of the leading manufacturers of locking technology for data cabinets and has a turnover of €230m.
Their product range comprises 15,000 articles that are developed, manufactured, processed and assembled at nine production sites in Germany, France, England, Spain, Bosnia, USA and China. The company has 1,400 employees in 46 countries worldwide.
Digitus is a leader in physical data centre security.
Digitus understand the importance of being proactive when it comes to securing data centres. Almost every day brings a new story of how a building has been compromised and critical data or hardware destroyed or stolen. It has been their mission to provide the most advanced access control solutions on the planet, and with their proven biometric and card access technology, have provided customers from military installations to large colocation facilities the peace of mind that their data is secured with the most advanced access technology available today.
They believe that data centre security is too important to be expensive.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 20/06/2018 - Chest Handles from EMKA - robust and functional
- 30/05/2018 - EMKA Fire Protection Gasket UL general purpose and DIN EN for Rail Industry
- 17/05/2018 - EMKA 1095 program – bow/bridge, tubular and chest handles for industry
- 23/04/2018 - EMKA Gaskets supplement EMC protection
- 12/04/2018 - EMKA Hygiene gaskets for HVAC and Food industries
- 22/03/2018 - EMKA specialist gasket profiles for enclosures, cabinets, vehicles, HVAC
- 14/03/2018 - The EMKA Pin Hinge solution to specialist enclosure doors and panels
- 27/02/2018 - EMKA Hinges for flush cabinet doors offer smooth appearance and better security
- 02/02/2018 - EMKA Rod Lock systems maximise cabinet sealing and door utility
- 15/01/2018 - EMKA 1390 lifthandle fits exceptionally small spaces on specialist enclosures and cabinets
- 19/12/2017 - Multi-point security 1190 lifthandle and escutcheon program from EMKA
- 06/12/2017 - Most comprehensive swinghandle system from EMKA for cabinets large or small
- 29/11/2017 - EMKA IP65 swinghandle range includes vandal resistance and electronic operation
- 20/11/2017 - Swinghandles, lifthandles, escutcheons from EMKA
- 26/10/2017 - EMKA heavy duty latches for 3 point cabinet locking systems
- 18/10/2017 - EMKA save time – save money with clip fix enclosure locking program
- 28/09/2017 - Quarter-Turn locks from EMKA – important accessories complete installations
- 18/09/2017 - New EMKA Catalogue – small and medium quarter-turn latches/locks
- 22/08/2017 - EMKA IP40/IP65 cabinet swinghandle system with swappable cylinders and internal/external rods
- 07/08/2017 - Large Quarter-Turn locks from EMKA for specialist cabinets and enclosures
- 11/07/2017 - New locks, handles, hinges and gasket website @ EMKA compliments 2017/2018 catalogue
- 19/06/2017 - Enclosure Hardware Security Issues A White Paper by Andy Billingham, Managing Director – EMKA (UK) Ltd
- 08/06/2017 - New Catalogue
- 01/06/2017 - Specialist enclosure locks, handles, hinges and gasket for HVAC panels
- 18/05/2017 - EMKA quick assembly IP69K quarter-turn latch
- 25/04/2017 - EMKA vehicle door sets
- 13/04/2017 - Toward Zero Security Breaches with EMKA/Digitus Biometric Technology
- 24/03/2017 - Cabinet and Enclosure Hardware Developments at EMKA in the 21st Century
- 09/03/2017 - New stainless steel Precision Casting for EMKA enclosure hardware
- 03/03/2017 - EMKA at The International Air-Conditioning, Heating, Refrigerating Exposition
- 13/02/2017 - New compression locking hinge for HVAC installations
- 03/02/2017 - EMKA PROflex Inspection Windows
- 20/01/2017 - The latest in EMKA Biometrics: Dual Format Authentication
- 15/12/2016 - New EMKA true 180° hinge fits industry standard rivet nuts
- 12/12/2016 - New EMKA wing knob compression latch
- 02/12/2016 - EMKA define the latest industry requirements in Biometric Access
- 21/11/2016 - EMKA – Taking Security to the Server Rack
- 25/10/2016 - New EMKA stainless steel AISI 316 hinges for specialist cabinets
- 11/10/2016 - New Products
- 06/09/2016 - New colour printing on enclosure hardware from EMKA
- 25/08/2016 - Packaging Air Conditioning Systems
- 15/08/2016 - EMKA cabinet hardware for multi-compartment control panels
- 28/07/2016 - Door panelware and security for server racks - EMKA
- 11/07/2016 - Stainless Steel Hardware for Stainless Steel Enclosures – from EMKA
- 29/06/2016 - The “Rack Pack” from EMKA – “everything but the 19 inch Rack”
- 10/06/2016 - EMKA describe hardware package for small housings and boxes
- 16/05/2016 - “Everything but the wall mounted enclosure” from EMKA
- 18/04/2016 - New 1000 Program Polyamide housing for EMKA quarter-turn locks
- 12/04/2016 - New EMKA friction hinge with adjustable torque
- 05/04/2016 - EMKA – new ¼ turn lock for transport vehicles takes plug-in cylinders
- 19/02/2016 - EMKA 180° hinges adjust in 2 or 3 dimensions
- 05/02/2016 - New EMKA 125° pin hinge with stud fixing and retained pivot for cabinets and enclosures
- 21/01/2016 - New EMKA quick fit IP69 fully insulated enclosure lock
- 07/01/2016 - New EMKA guide to Electronic Locking Systems
- 21/12/2015 - EMKA guide for closed cell self-adhesive sponge rubber
- 11/12/2015 - Bespoke sealing profiles from EMKA
- 24/11/2015 - EMKA specialist handles for thick doors
- 12/11/2015 - EMKA clip-in pull handles – for a quick sliding action
- 10/11/2015 - Fire protection silicone gaskets from EMKA
- 05/11/2015 - EMKA long and variable length handles and hand rails
- 27/10/2015 - EMKA increase safety and sealing with 1130 program flush compression handles
- 27/08/2015 - EMKA 1011 self-gripping gasket profile strips seal against ingress of dust and water
- 24/08/2015 - EMKA 120° hinge for larger door returns – also in stainless steel
- 18/08/2015 - EMKA 1069 - 120° hinge for specialist cabinets with prominent/lay-on doors
- 05/08/2015 - EMKA screw-on, lift-off hinges for recessed/flush doors
- 09/06/2015 - EMKA multi-point rod locking – a complete system for specialist panel builders
- 18/05/2015 - EMKA modular program ¼ turn locks IP50 to IP69
- 30/04/2015 - Adaptable IP65 swinghandle system from EMKA
- 16/04/2015 - Adjustable and vibration proof compression latches from EMKA UK
- 13/04/2015 - Enclosure Security and Vehicle Components – EMKA production technologies revealed in new whitepaper
- 17/03/2015 - EMKA standalone electronic security for data centre server racks
- 03/03/2015 - Exhibition Announcement EMKA at Data Centre World, Stand No. H50
- 16/02/2015 - EMKA combination swinghandle for data centre security
- 12/02/2015 - Going Green – Good for the Planet, Good for the Customer
- 05/02/2015 - EMKA Addresses Data Security Regualtions With Server Cabinet Lock Systems
- 23/12/2014 - EMKA join the Data Centre Alliance as Corporate Partners
- 05/12/2014 - EMKA’s advanced wireless stand-alone data cabinet security system
- 03/12/2014 - EMKA AGENT E wireless swinghandle gets added RFID swipe card security
- 12/11/2014 - EMKA – LAN Based Control Cockpit – real time cabinet security software for Electronic Locking and Monitoring System
- 22/10/2014 - New 3500 program biometric locking system from EMKA offers greater personnel and data protection
- 08/10/2014 - EMKA to launch BioLock Biometric Locking System for server racks
- 04/09/2014 - EMKA videos illustrate the engineering behind cabinet hardware
- 07/08/2014 - EMKA launch video profile of how to produce "Everything but the Enclosure"
- 24/07/2014 - EMKA Double Red Compression Latch Handle secures cabinets, doors and covers
- 30/06/2014 - EMKA video series new releases - quality finishes ensure sealing and longevity
- 20/06/2014 - EMKA Protector Vandal Resistant Swinghandles now with double cylinder lock and padlockable options
- 30/05/2014 - New EMKA 2014 Catalogue - locks, handles, hinges, gasket and electronic cabinet security
- 25/04/2014 - EMKA IP65 Protector Vandal Resistant Swinghandles - New Electronic Operation
- 11/04/2014 - The Technology of Extruded Gasket Profiles
- 08/04/2014 - Informative New Videos from EMKA
- 25/03/2014 - EMKA Gaskets and Extruded Profiles for Specialist Vehicle Sealing
- 20/02/2014 - Vehicle Locking Accessories from EMKA
- 16/01/2014 - NEW EMKA protector vandal resistant swinghandles – mechanical implementation
- 11/11/2013 - Emka New Stainless Steel Hinges Meet the needs of Specialist Cabinet Builders
- 16/10/2013 - EMKA extruded Gasket range reaches 732 sealing profiles
- 01/10/2013 - Vehicle component catalogue now available from EMKA
- 07/08/2013 - EMKA Protector anti-vandal IP65 Swinghandle Latches
- 23/07/2013 - EMKA launch Stainless Steel padlockable handles
- 08/07/2013 - Quicker fitment of round rod locking systems
- 12/06/2013 - Exterior recessed Motorhome and personal Door Lock from EMKA
- 31/05/2013 - Gasketing Covers and Tank Strap Supports from EMKA's CV range
- 16/05/2013 - EMKA 1325 IP65 Cabinet Locking System launched at Hanover
- 16/05/2013 - Vandal resistant Swinghandle for access control from EMKA
- 09/05/2013 - Program 3000 Single Point Electronic Latch from EMKA
- 09/05/2013 - EMKA Rod Control System is smoother and quicker
- 09/05/2013 - New EMKA Program 6000 Toggle Latches for commercial and specialist vehicles
- 08/04/2013 - New EMKA 1325 Cabinet Locking System to IP65 launched at Hannover
- 25/03/2013 - New EMKA 1317 IP65 Vandal Resistant Swinghandle for mechanical or electronic access control
- 11/03/2013 - New Program 3000 Single Point Electronic Latch from EMKA
- 26/02/2013 - New EMKA Rod Control System is smoother and quicker
- 16/01/2013 - EMKA Compression Latch offers visual security
- 16/01/2013 - New EMKA Compression Latch offers visual security
- 21/12/2012 - Hardware for Electrical Cabinets
- 04/12/2012 - Roller Shoe for Flat Locking Rods
- 23/11/2012 - New EMKA Compression Swinghandle for Caravans and Specialist Vehicles
- 13/11/2012 - High Speed Dust Cap from EMKA for Quarter-Turn Locks
- 24/10/2012 - EMKA 1121 Lock Cam Ramp
- 16/10/2012 - New Commercial Vehicle Components and Accessories Catalogue from EMKA
- 13/08/2012 - EMKA – Developing Hardware Solutions for HVAC Cabinets
- 31/07/2012 - Concealed Hardware – The Ultimate Solution for Outdoor Enclosures
- 20/07/2012 - A new look at 19” Rack Access Control
- 29/06/2012 - Commercial vehicle door handles for cabs and passenger access
- 19/06/2012 - New luggage compartment handles and latches
- 31/05/2012 - New EMKA latch range for commercial vehicles
- 17/05/2012 - Luggage Stowage Nets – New from EMKA
- 17/05/2012 - EMKA launch new range of commercial vehicle accessories
- 17/05/2012 - EMKA’S “keep it simple” pin hinge
- 17/05/2012 - EMKA hinges get the “fit” right EMKA hinges get the “fit” right
- 26/04/2012 - EMKA introduce new cup and can drinks holder
- 13/04/2012 - New emergency safety hammers from EMKA for installation in commercial vehicles
- 13/02/2012 - It all hinges on EMKA
- 20/01/2012 - EMKA announces the Reell deal
- 06/01/2012 - EMKA 180 degree stainless hinge suits larger cabinet doors
- 05/01/2012 - Budget locks from EMKA
- 05/01/2012 - Global electronic access and environmental monitoring for colocation data centres
- 04/01/2012 - Swinghandles – Development through customer/manufacturer design interaction - how new products have evolved from a basic idea
- 11/11/2011 - Lots of latches spring from EMKA
- 11/10/2011 - Hardware accessories for commercial vehicles - from EMKA
- 26/08/2011 - EMKA 2011 - New Products, New Industries
- 29/07/2011 - Stainless swinghandles from EMKA
- 26/07/2011 - Everything in stainless steel from EMKA
- 31/05/2011 - EMKA 1056 hinges make assembly easier
- 17/05/2011 - Pre-assembled gasket rings and frames from EMKA
- 15/04/2011 - Electronic access locking and monitoring systems from EMKA
- 05/04/2011 - Stainless hinge from EMKA suits 20mm returns
- 25/03/2011 - Everything but the Enclosure - now on our blog
- 22/02/2011 - IP sealing - gasket profiles for enclosures from EMKA
- 14/01/2011 - EMKA IP65 compression anti-vibration latching
- 22/12/2010 - An EMKA perspective on locking trends
- 06/12/2010 - EMKA pin down costs with polyamide hinges
- 29/10/2010 - Radio controlled security swinghandles from EMKA