Megger Keeps the Western Locomotive Running
12 December 2008
The right test equipment from Megger helped to keep the Western Locomotive a safe ride.
The Western Locomotive Association (WLA), which has its home at the Bridgenorth headquarters of the Severn Valley Railway, is finding a Megger MIT420 insulation and continuity tester to be the ideal tool for checking the condition of the electrical equipment in its two Class 52 diesel-hydraulic locomotives – D1013 Western Ranger and D1062 Western Courier.
Built in the 1960s and finally retired by British Rail in 1977, Class 52 locomotives with their unusual diesel-hydraulic transmission, are recognised as an important milestone in locomotive development. They have a strong following among enthusiasts, and the WLA is dedicated to keeping their own examples in full operational order.
In ageing electrical equipment, however, insulation deterioration is inevitable. The situation is particularly severe with preserved locomotives as their relatively intermittent use means that the equipment is rarely warm enough to disperse condensation and moisture.
For these reasons, the WLA’s engineers need to perform insulation tests on a regular basis, a task that is made all the more challenging by the amount of wiring in each locomotive – a full 7 km! Until recently, the tests were carried out using borrowed equipment but, when the opportunity came for the engineers to acquire an insulation tester of their own, Megger’s MIT420 was their unanimous choice.
“The MIT420 is compact and easy to operate with one hand,” said Ian Jackson of the WLA, “which is particularly important given the cramped conditions we often have to work in on the locomotives. It’s also robust and easy to use. A really big benefit, though, is its 1,000 V test range. Testing at this voltage allows our engineers to find many potential faults that might otherwise have been missed.”
The MIT420 is now in regular use, and has played an important role in the ten-year overhaul that the D1062 has recently undergone prior to its return to service. The tester will continue to be in great demand, however, as the WLA’s other locomotive, D1013, is about to be retired pending its own refurbishment.
“We’ve always seen Megger instruments as the industry leader of test equipment,” said Ian Jackson, “and our experience with the MIT420 certainly confirms this. It’s accurate, dependable and, like our locomotives, it’s a real tribute to British engineering. What more could anyone ask for?”
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 13/08/2012 - Megger pinpoints cable faults with accuracy and ease
- 13/08/2012 - Megger acquires SebaKMT
- 13/08/2012 - Megger rewards online excellence
- 13/08/2012 - Measure phase angle quickly and easily with Megger
- 28/03/2011 - Megger catalogues contractor kit comprehensively
- 03/03/2011 - What happened at Newbury?
- 09/02/2011 - Megger’s new multimeter combines safety with versatility
- 11/01/2011 - Check voltage and more with Megger two-pole testers
- 05/01/2011 - Megger earth testers have the clamp of convenience
- 10/11/2010 - Testing to address the transformer threat
- 10/11/2010 - Megger helps keep SS Shieldhall shipshape
- 14/09/2010 - Time is running out for Megger’s money making events
- 07/09/2010 - MEGGER SUPPORT IS THERE WHEN YOU NEED IT!
- 23/07/2010 - Megger ups the ante in oil testing
- 15/07/2010 - Megger socialises online
- 06/07/2010 - Winding resistance quickly and safely with Megger
- 18/03/2010 - Megger’s EGIL simplifies breaker analysis
- 18/03/2010 - New catalogue from Megger is packed with opportunity
- 01/03/2010 - Megger provides contractors with more Business In A Box
- 13/11/2009 - Megger backs a winner with Central Trade Skills
- 04/09/2009 - Megger introduces on site training
- 28/08/2009 - Own Meggers' last ever AVO
- 31/07/2009 - Megger supports IEC 61850 for protective relay testing
- 29/06/2009 - Megger helps trainees with their tests
- 24/04/2009 - Megger measures low resistance anywhere
- 16/04/2009 - Megger has the definitive test for transformer insulation
- 27/03/2009 - Megger delivers versatility in easy relay testing
- 04/03/2009 - Megger Transformer maintenence minimises failure cover risk
- 16/12/2008 - Fancy a Business in a Box?
- 25/11/2008 - Measurement of Moisture in Oil Made Easy by Megger
- 07/11/2008 - Megger's TDR Plugs Revenue Leaks
- 14/10/2008 - The Transformer
- 13/10/2008 - Megger’s PowerDB Turns Results into Revenue
- 06/10/2008 - Megger say Goodbye to their most Popular Product
- 19/08/2008 - Condition Assessment without a Laptop
- 19/08/2008 - Transformer testing with speed and accuracy
- 17/07/2008 - Earth Testing made Easy
- 16/07/2008 - The case of the flying Megger meters!
- 14/07/2008 - Megger Helps Students Pass
- 20/05/2008 - Megger makes testing easier with Bluetooth