Bsria Reacts To Lord Adonis Heading New National Infrastructure Commission
18 November 2015
BSRIA reacts to Lord Adonis heading Chancellor’s new Commission
Reacting to the announcement of Lord Adonis heading up the Chancellor’s new National Infrastructure Commission made at the Conservative Party Conference, Julia Evans, Chief Executive, BSRIA, said:
“This new Commission is welcome and we are pleased that this well-defined, crucial, role has been created for the construction industry, where Lord Adonis will be able to offer advice on infrastructure. The fact that it is a cross-party role is essential too.
BSRIA is encouraged that the Infrastructure Commission will initially focus on updating the energy network, as well as transport connections between cities in the north of England. It is clear that without big improvements to the UK’s construction and energy systems, Britain will grind to a halt.
However neither government or the Commission must duck the important construction decisions that need taking now. We still need to get on and build the necessary level of houses required for the UK immediately. And we hope the role will also look at the necessary skills needed within the construction industry to deliver such housing.
Mr Osborne said that: ‘It would be a disaster for this country if we stop building now’, and BSRIA wholeheartedly agrees with this comment. Updating the UK's infrastructure is critical to sustainable growth and productivity, and we've long called for an independent body to assess our long-term needs.”
A former Labour transport minister and policy chief, Lord Adonis is resigning the labour whip, and will sit as a crossbencher in the Lords as he takes on his new role. He will remain a Labour Party member and will become an independent peer to take on his new role.
The Commission will start work immediately and will produce a report at the start of each five-year Parliament containing recommendations of projects. It will set out a programme of action on what the government should be building.
Funding for these projects will come from selling off land, buildings and other government assets.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 29/01/2016 - BSRIA Instrument Solutions applauds the BOHS breathe freely initiative
- 26/01/2016 - BSRIA signs endorsing partnership with New York build 2016
- 21/01/2016 - BSRIA tested and validated a new isolation room design which challenges the traditional approach to infection control.
- 19/01/2016 - BSRIA staging essential Information Management in FM event
- 15/01/2016 - BSRIA concerned with consultation which may result in VAT hike for renewables
- 15/01/2016 - Dramatic Health & Safety Enforcements to come into force on 1 February 2016
- 07/01/2016 - BSRIA responds to cut in solar subsidies announcement
- 17/12/2015 - MWA chief warns £millions of energy is being lost with growing number of wrong specifications
- 14/12/2015 - BSRIA launches White Paper on Future Building Trends - Impacts - Solutions
- 14/12/2015 - BSRIA delighted to be supporting edie2016 Live exhibition
- 10/12/2015 - BSRIA Head of Sustainable Construction Group has been made a Fellow of RICS
- 10/12/2015 - BSRIA looks forward to outcome of Paris Summit on Climate Change
- 07/12/2015 - BSRIA launches Inspire publication with chance to vote for your favourite engineer
- 24/11/2015 - BSRIA launches legionella topic guide
- 20/11/2015 - Life Cycle Costing - 24th - 25th Nov - last chance to book 1 or 2 day option
- 19/11/2015 - BSRIA supports industry initiative in Australia for solution to performance gap
- 18/11/2015 - BSRIA seminar to explain the difference between Soft Landings & GSL
- 16/11/2015 - Bsria Comments On Cameron Promising A ‘great British Take-off’ Speech
- 13/11/2015 - Bsria Helps The Saudis Stay Cool
- 02/11/2015 - Smart Data, Silver Lining Or Black Cloud At Bsria’s Flagship Event
- 22/10/2015 - 30% off BSRIA's sets of building services guides - now until 30th Oct
- 13/10/2015 - Bsria Test House Manager On Judging Panel At Rac Cooling Awards
- 28/09/2015 - Bsria Raises A Glass To Scottish Renewables Company That Has Been Awarded Department For Transport Grant
- 28/09/2015 - BSRIA Briefing 2015 - Smart data, silver lining or black cloud?
- 28/09/2015 - Compliance in FM
- 25/09/2015 - Bsria Study Shows Large Hyper Data Centres Are Changing The Market For Precision Cooling
- 25/09/2015 - Bsria Launches World Heating Market Reports
- 25/09/2015 - BSRIA is concerned by a report that says ‘Britain is not training enough bricklayers’.
- 14/09/2015 - Autumn training schedule including new Manchester course dates
- 11/09/2015 - BSRIA delighted to announce appointment of Dr Arnold Teekaram as corporate quality assurance manager
- 11/09/2015 - BSRIA concerned with new apprenticeship levy
- 11/09/2015 - BSRIA disappointed with feed-in tariffs next in line for government axe
- 08/09/2015 - Bsria Appoints Dedicated Press Officer
- 04/09/2015 - BSRIA launches its findings of the global bathroom market (2015)
- 25/08/2015 - BSRIA launches white paper on achieving carbon targets
- 24/08/2015 - BSRIA welcomes Obama's clean power plan speech
- 19/08/2015 - Bsria Disappointed That Energy-saving Materials No Longer Qualify For Reduced Rate Vat
- 19/08/2015 - Bsria Unimpressed With Government’s Small Scale Solar Energy Subsidies Announcement
- 06/08/2015 - BSRIA appoints new Business Development Manager in the US
- 06/08/2015 - BSRIA comments on £100 million boost for small house builders
- 06/08/2015 - BSRIA comments on government's gender pay gap announcement
- 06/08/2015 - BSRIA reaction to 2015 Summer Budget
- 06/08/2015 - BSRIA Chief Executive appointed judge for H&V News Awards 2016
- 07/07/2015 - Residential Workshop - Overheating in homes
- 07/07/2015 - Post Occupancy Evaluation: operational performance of a refurbished office building
- 03/07/2015 - Heat pump market continues to grow
- 01/07/2015 - BSRIA has concerns over investor confidence in renewable technologies
- 18/06/2015 - A building owner’s guide to implementing BIM
- 11/06/2015 - Innovation? Build a trust bank...
- 11/06/2015 - Renewable energy - the vital missing link
- 11/06/2015 - BSRIA signs endorsing agreement with Light and Building 2016
- 10/06/2015 - Bsria signs endorsing agreement with low carbon England
- 03/06/2015 - Bsria welcomes the appointment of Amber Rudd
- 18/05/2015 - Bsria comments on the 2015 Election
- 11/05/2015 - BSRIA training to launch in Manchester
- 07/05/2015 - Legionnaires' Disease Risk Assessment - part of new legionella set
- 06/05/2015 - New Life Cycle Costing - Theory and Practice course 1st - 2nd July
- 05/05/2015 - BSRIA signs endorsing agreement with Buildings and Energy Efficiency Event
- 30/04/2015 - BSRIA Chief Executive appointed to Building Regulations Advisory Committee (BRAC)
- 27/04/2015 - Housing starts continue to rise first quarter 2015, but is it Enough?
- 14/04/2015 - Legionnaire's Disease Risk Assessment - part of new legionella set
- 09/04/2015 - New Model Format for Building Services Specifications guide complements Design Framework (BG6)
- 01/04/2015 - Soft landings takes off in International Markets
- 18/03/2015 - Consultation document on Decs - Will Transparency be Lost?
- 13/03/2015 - Legionnaires' Disease - Risk Assessment (BG57/2015)
- 13/03/2015 - Smart Cities, Smart Energy
- 13/03/2015 - Introduction to Economic and Environmental Appraisal
- 13/03/2015 - BSRIA Blue Book available as an App
- 13/03/2015 - R22 Phase Out - replace or modify?
- 03/03/2015 - Anne King Awarded Honorary Membership of Bsria
- 27/02/2015 - Bsria Response to Geneva Climate Talks