Dura Composites & wnm limited Provide a Safe GRP Solution to Corrosion Issues for Nigerian Oil & Gas Company’s Brine Mixing Pit
21 March 2016
Dura Composites & wnm limited have provided a safe, durable and corrosion-resistant alternative to traditional steel for a vital Brine Mixing plant at a major Nigeria based hub for West African deep sea oilfield operations.Fabricated from glass reinforced plastic (GRP) profiles and grating, the resulting structure provides a safe working environment, and is designed for the future thanks to its inherent strength, durability and anti-slip properties.
Prior to installation, the mixing pit at the facility in Onne, Rivers State, Nigeria was found to have significant issues caused by the degradation of various steel components. Steel corrosion (rusting, or oxidation) is an electrochemical reaction that occurs when iron atoms lose electrons in the presence of oxygen and water. In this case, the effects of the salts being used within the mixing pit (calcium chloride and calcium nitrate) had led to severe corrosion, which is widely acknowledged as the largest single cause of plant and equipment breakdown in the process industries, and which results in an unsafe working environment that can lead to plant closures.
Dura Composites’ exclusive Nigerian distributor wmn Ltd (whose client owns the plant), were responsible for the supply and install of the materials.
CADDura Composites’ industry leading GRP products are manufactured using high quality fibreglass produced from the latest pultrusion processes, and offer high strength, low weight, chemical and fire resistant properties. Dura Composites uses the latest CAD design techniques to produce a bespoke design using profiles which are delivered to the site in manageable sections for final assembly on location. Stairways, access platforms, walkways and step-over platforms can be fitted with fibreglass floor grating to provide a gritted flooring finish which offers the highest degree of slip resistance ever measured for a walking surface, even in the wet and oily conditions found at the Nigerian oilfield.
Commenting on the successful install wmn Ltd’s CEO Mr. Akin Akinola said; “The before and after images from this project speak for themselves. The mixing pit itself is a 500 barrel structure of approximately 5 metres in diameter and constitutes a vital part of the operations at this facility. As Dura Composites’ distributor in Nigeria, we were confident that their GRP material would provide the perfect solution to the corrosion and structural issues with the pit and are delighted with the resulting structure we have produced. The new mixing pit is not only corrosion resistant, durable and has a high load capacity, but most importantly, it will provide our clients with a safe working environment for many years to come”.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 23/03/2017 - Dura Composites Adds Value to Architects and Specifiers with the launch of BIM objects for its Dura Slab and Dura Grating Ranges
- 23/03/2017 - Dura Slab FRP Structural Stair Treads Win Top Award for Design Innovation in Recognition of their Durability and Ease of Installation
- 20/07/2016 - Dura Cladding Chosen by DBP Home Improvements for New Purpose Built Showroom in North Wales
- 29/06/2016 - Dura Deck Low Maintenance Composite Decking Selected for Dramatic Viewing Platform at Sandown Ski Centre
- 17/05/2016 - Dura Composites Cements Distributor Partnership with 4KBM Qatar at Successful ‘Project Qatar’ Exhibition 4K Qatar2
- 17/02/2016 - Dura Cladding Chosen for New Eco-Office Concept Boasting Quality Business Accommodation with Low Running Costs
- 09/02/2016 - Are you building schools for the future?
- 07/12/2015 - Building Material of the Future Helps Protect the Materials of the Past – Dura Composites FRP Solutions Play Pivotal Role in Helping Maximise Lifespan of Historic Brunel Viaduct
- 27/11/2015 - Dura Composites focuses on Middle East growth with new distributor partnership with 4K in the UAE
- 24/11/2015 - Dura Composites Shortlisted for Prestigious Rail Industry Award
- 24/11/2015 - Dura Composites Launches a Guide To Choosing Trench Covers in Electrical Substations.
- 20/11/2015 - Dura Composites Unveils Online Cladding Cost Calculator to Help Construction Professionals Plan Accurately and Provide Realistic Cost Information to End Clients
- 06/10/2015 - Visit our stand at the Big 5 in Dubai to discover the latest composite innovations for the construction industry
- 14/09/2015 - New survey finds 1 in 4 households in the UK are now choosing decking and other low maintenance alternatives over grass lawns
- 27/08/2015 - Landmark London Development ‘One The Elephant’ Uses Dura Slab Structural Floor Risers to Improve Safety and Operational Performance
- 13/08/2015 - Dura Composites Helps Marina Businesses Innovate and Solve Key Challenges with New Sector Specific Guide
- 30/07/2015 - New Online Cladding Visualiser Tool from Dura Composites Helps Clients to Picture the Possibilities
- 24/07/2015 - Lockable Dura Grating Pit Covers Ensure Livestock Safety for Yorkshire Farming Community & Trackside Engineers
- 29/05/2015 - Needham Market is First Train Station in the World to Install Ground Breaking Award Winning Composite Platform Designed to Minimise Passenger Disruption and Reduce Costs
- 17/04/2015 - Dura Cladding Project Transforms Kerb Appeal and Warmth of 4 Bed House
- 12/02/2015 - Dura Composites Leads Nigerian Initiative To Improve Knowledge of Composite Building Products
- 17/05/2011 - Dura Living presents its range of luxury outdoor furnishings.