Ransomes help celebrate 50 year reunion
08 July 2009
Students reunite after 50 years to celebrate epic journey from Edinburgh to London on Ransomes Mower
Five former students, who cut a swathe 50 years ago when they rode a Ransomes Matador mower non-stop from Edinburgh to Londons' Hyde Park in just four days, got back together recently to commemorate their epic journey. Ransomes Jacobsen, based on Ransomes Europark in Ipswich, who still manufacture the Matador, hosted a two-day event to help them celebrate their remarkable achievement.
Back in 1959, Tom Hudson, Mike Smith, Mike Savage, Hugh Tansley and John Wilson, who were students at Hatfield Technical College and former employees of the De Havilland Aircraft Company, wanted to test the reliability of small petrol engines, so they hatched a plot to see if they could drive a small petrol-engined mower from Edinburgh to London.
They contacted Ransomes, Sims and Jeffries, the forerunner of todays' Ransomes Jacobsen company, and Mark Grimwade was tasked with assisting the students. The mower was slightly modified with a larger sump added to the 288cc Villiers engine to provide enough lubrication for the non-stop 400 mile trip. Mark and a team of four apprentices tested a couple of prototypes, running them around Ipswich for 90 hours, which was the estimated time it would take to travel at 3 mph down the A68 and A1.
With the trials successfully completed, the date for Operation Matador was set for Easter 1959. The five students left Edinburgh Castle with Tom Hudson driving the first leg and the others crammed into a Bedford Dormobile, which was to be their mobile home for the next four days. The gift of a haggis was placed in the grass box of the mower to be presented to the Keeper of the Royal Parks in London - a Scotsman - at the end of the journey.
Four days and three nights after they left Edinburgh, the students rode into Hyde Park to be greeted by a high-powered reception committee of Royal Parks' staff, Ransomes top management and dealer representatives, a BBC television crew and the press. The haggis was handed over to the Keeper of the Royal Parks and a ceremonial strip of Hyde Park grass was mown to Ransomes perfection.
Mike Smith contacted Ransomes Jacobsen and they readily agreed to support the reunion and a plan was hatched help the team members celebrate their remarkable achievement of 50 years ago.
Earlier this summer, the Operation Matador team, all now in their early 70s, arrived at the College Lane Campus of the University of Hertfordshire in St Albans, with a replica of the Ransomes Matador mower complete with the number plate and signage of 50 years past. There they were met by old friends and former students before presenting Vice Chancellor Professor Tim Wilson with a memento of their journey.
They then travelled to Hyde Park, where they re-enacted the completion of their journey by mowing a ceremonial strip of grass and presenting a haggis and personal memento to the Assistant Parks Manager, David Jordan. Later that day they returned to Ipswich for a nostalgic and celebratory dinner.
The following morning they visited Ipswich Towns' Portman Road stadium, where they met head groundsman Alan Ferguson, who uses the latest version of the Ransomes Matador to maintain the pitch. Next stop was a tour of Ransomes Jacobsens' European headquarters and manufacturing plant followed by a round of golf on the companys' three-hole golf course and a buffet lunch with the Directors and other staff.
David Withers, Managing Director of Ransomes Jacobsen said, “We are absolutely delighted to be in a position to help the Operation Matador team celebrate their epic achievement of 50 years ago. It would be difficult to replicate what they achieved, even today, and it was a remarkable feat.
“It says a lot about the quality of the equipment we built back then, a tradition that we carry on today. After 50 years, I’m delighted that all of the team are still with us and that we’re still producing quality turf care equipment in Ipswich and still producing the Matador mower, albeit with some technological enhancements from the original. The team here at Ipswich really enjoyed meeting the guys and I hope we contributed to a very happy and nostalgic reunion.”
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 09/10/2014 - Newly Launched ISEKI SF450 Rotary Mower for Landscape Group's Olympic Legacy Contract
- 30/07/2014 - Midlothian Council Opt For Ransomes Parkway 3 Mowers For Grounds Maintenance Operations
- 30/07/2014 - Ransomes Remote Controlled Spider Mower Ensures Safe Maintenance For Environment Agency Staff
- 30/07/2013 - Rospa Gold Award for Ransomes Jacobsen
- 30/07/2013 - MEGA compact utility vehicles for SALTEX
- 05/09/2012 - Mega Dealers induction day at Ransomes Jacobsen
- 13/08/2012 - Cushman and Turfco Top Dresser Combination Spreads the word at Douglas Golf Club
- 03/07/2012 - Foremost Golf and Golf Car UK sign strategic agreement to support club managers and professionals
- 03/07/2012 - Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk committed to Ransomes Jacobsen equipment
- 08/05/2012 - Ransomes Jacobsen appointed Mega Truck Importers for the UK
- 16/04/2012 - Continental Landscapes select Ransomes equipment for prestigious Leeds City Council contract
- 12/12/2011 - Golf & Turf Machinery becomes a division of Platts Harris Ltd
- 03/10/2011 - David Withers promoted to President of Jacobsen
- 20/09/2011 - Historic Mower in part exchange for the very latest Greens Mowing Technology
- 13/09/2011 - Ransomes Highway 3 Triple Mowers perform for North East Derbyshire Dirstict Council
- 06/09/2011 - A chance to win one of 6 Ipads and a topdresser in Turfco's 50th Anniversary giveaway.
- 15/06/2011 - Another continental landscapes' flagship contract relies on Ransomes equipment
- 09/06/2011 - The latest Jacobsen Hybrid Greens Mower for Oswestry Golf Club
- 17/05/2011 - Former Vice-Chairman of Fegga joins Ransomes Jacobsen
- 17/05/2011 - Ransomes Jacobsen sign preferred supplier agreement with RFU at Twickenham Turf maintenance fleet for the home of England rugby
- 28/03/2011 - John Quinton promoted to UK and Ireland Sales Manager
- 09/02/2011 - Versatile Iseki compact tractor for Newcastle's St James' Park Stadium
- 11/01/2011 - Another Non-Exclusive Iseki dealer joins Ransomes Jacobsen
- 10/11/2010 - SPECIALIST TURF MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT REQUIRED AT NINE HOLE LINKS COURSE IN HOLLAND
- 09/11/2010 - PREFFERED SUPPLIER STATUS WITH MYERSCOUGH COLLEGE FOR A FURTHER FIVE YEARS
- 02/11/2010 - TH WHITE’S SUCCESSFUL AERATION SEMINAR AND DEMO DAY AT MILL RIDE GOLF CLUB
- 12/10/2010 - MALLORCAN GOLF CLUB’S NEW E-Z-GO GOLF CAR FLEET
- 11/10/2010 - NEW JACOBSEN ECLIPSE HYBRID GREENS MOWER FOR SUTTON GREEN GOLF CLUB
- 07/10/2010 - OPEN HOUSE AT RANSOMES JACOBSEN IS A RESOUNDING SUCCESS
- 14/09/2010 - Ransomes supply Iseki compact tractors for Perth and Kinross council
- 13/09/2010 - Brickhampton Court receives the Jacobsen cut
- 24/08/2010 - EASTBOURNE’S DEVONSHIRE PARK TENNIS FACILITIES UTILISE JACOBSEN’S QUIET TECHNOLOGY
- 24/08/2010 - FIRST JACOBSEN ECLIPSE 322S IN THE NORTHEAST OF ENGLAND
- 13/08/2010 - OPEN HOUSE AT RANSOMES JACOBSEN
- 16/06/2010 - BARTRAM’S DEMO DAYS PROVE POPULAR
- 31/12/2009 - Golf Club members welcome new Ransomes fleet
- 08/12/2009 - Ransomes to showcase hybrid Greens Mower at BTME 2010
- 04/12/2009 - New Jacobsen equipment for Netherlands largest Golf Complex
- 23/11/2009 - Ransomes Jacobsen equipment maintains Golf Course at five star Luton Hoo Hotel
- 11/11/2009 - Real Club De La Puerta De Hierra, Madrids' oldest club, chooses E-Z-Go RXV Golf Cars
- 09/11/2009 - New fleet includes upgraded Jaconsen G-Plex III greens mower at Sittingbourne Golf Club
- 09/11/2009 - Membership increase trend continues at Aldwickbury Park Golf Club
- 08/10/2009 - New range of Ransomes Jacobsen equipment for Bunclody Golf & Fishing Club
- 17/09/2009 - New E-Z Go Golf Car fleet for Rio Real Golf & Wellness resort
- 14/08/2009 - First Ransomes HR-3300T out front Rotary Mower for Northern Ireland
- 14/08/2009 - Europes' highest Golf Club, Grandvalira, chooses Ransomes
- 05/08/2009 - Tiger Woods Dubai contracts Ransomes turf machinery
- 04/08/2009 - Ransomes Jacobsen package of grounds care equipment for Reaseheath College
- 03/08/2009 - Ampleforth College subject of large Spider sightings
- 03/08/2009 - Ransomes Jacobsen play host to IOG members
- 31/07/2009 - Ransomes supports Junior Golf in Suffolk
- 22/07/2009 - Saldana Golf Club goes 'green' with Golf Cars
- 22/07/2009 - 'Thank you' to Genesis Orwell Mencap during visit to Ransomes Jacobsen
- 10/07/2009 - Ransomes keep new mower under wraps for Saltex
- 26/05/2009 - New Golf Course maintenence equipment at Ellesmere Port Golf Centre
- 22/05/2009 - E-Z-Go Golf Cars for Spanish Valle Romano Golf resort
- 21/04/2009 - Dai Williams retires after 50 years at Ransomes
- 21/04/2009 - Investment continues despite economic downturn
- 03/04/2009 - E-Z-Go adds support to Club Managers Asscociation of Europe
- 25/03/2009 - Ransomes Jacobsen mower cruising on board Celebrity Solstice
- 24/03/2009 - Ransomes launch Turf Groomer™ for walk-behind greens mowers
- 20/03/2009 - Longer lasting Aeration Tines from Ransomes Jacobsen
- 26/02/2009 - Ransomes Jacobsen introduce the new Iseki SXG15 Mower
- 25/02/2009 - Ransomes Jacobsen launch global website
- 17/02/2009 - Eric Kulaas wins 2008 IGCEMA, Edwin Budding Award sponsored by Ransomes Jacobsen
- 16/02/2009 - Ransomes and Iseki turf equipment for University of Northumbria
- 28/01/2009 - Portfolio addition for Ransomes' Chris Buckle
- 27/01/2009 - Ransomes Jacobsen launch more than just a promotional clothing catalogue
- 21/01/2009 - Ransomes finance helps fight credit crunch
- 08/01/2009 - Spider keeps grass in check for Sheffield City Council
- 12/12/2008 - Successful Use of Latest Turfco Overseeder at Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium