Do Forklift Attachments Need Certification?
17 February 2020
As a forklift attachment provider, we know just how important it is to make sure that operations are carried out legally and safely. But what requirements are in place for staff training and certification?All reputable suppliers of attachments will ensure products are not only thoroughly tested to ensure safe operation, but are supplied with a full CE certification (where applicable) to ensure absolute compliance.
When a forklift attachment is used, the operator must be aware of how to properly use it in accordance with the latest health and safety requirements. This is due to attachments altering the performance and handling of a forklift truck, including the centre of gravity, visibility and capacity.
So what are the standard ‘rules’ when it comes to operating an attachment?
The first step is to ensure the company operating the attachment follows the instructions provided and ensure that where applicable, they are fully CE marked.
The second step is to ensure that the attachments are working safely within the limits, as specified on the product rating label.
And lastly, the operator must ensure that the forklift attachment and forklift are compatible, both in terms of lifting capacity, and truck stability (if in doubt, consult the forklift truck manufacturer for guidance).
While it’s not expected that forklift attachment providers offer on-site product training as standard, any reputable supplier should be able to provide training to ITSSAR and NPORS accredited levels where required.
What else do you need to be aware of when buying a forklift attachment?
- Thorough Examination
- Attachments should be CE marked in accordance with the Machinery Directive (Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament)
- They should also come supplied with a product rating label fitted
- Forklift truck manufacturers should be consulted where required to ensure the attachment is compatible with the attachment being used (for stability and lifting capacities)
- You should carry out a Risk Assessment under HSE for the operation of the attachment
If you have any questions about your forklift attachment requirements, our expert design and technical team is here to help. Simply contact us to get started.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 13/11/2020 - Turning a forklift into an effective snow clearing machine
- 19/07/2020 - Summer Specials | Forklift Access Platforms
- 13/01/2020 - Tipping Skips
- 09/12/2019 - Keeping up with winter maintenance
- 03/12/2019 - Keeping up with winter maintenance
- 03/12/2019 - Due to popular demand, Contact Attachments has unveiled a dedicated online-only buying site for its wide range of standard and bespoke Tipping Skips.
- 06/08/2019 - Contact Attachments Launches Summer Price Rollback
- 05/12/2018 - Contact prepares to plough through winter
- 13/11/2018 - Centenary sees donations pledged for winter products
- 11/09/2018 - Leading firm clears the way for transportation company
- 03/10/2017 - Contact's new rim grip streamlines heavy handling jobs
- 06/07/2017 - Contact's adjustable four forklift recoups customer's damaged goods
- 05/06/2017 - Contact's roll boom solves handling problem
- 08/05/2017 - Contact's forklift cage stands the test of time
- 05/04/2017 - Contact's telehandler product adds to height safety
- 03/03/2017 - Contact Attachments handles drum problem for global supplier
- 03/02/2017 - Contact attachments helps firm transform its telehandler
- 06/12/2016 - Contact Attachments helps customer reach new heights
- 02/11/2016 - Contact Attachments called upon for nuclear disposal project
- 06/10/2016 - Contact attachments sail through latest project
- 05/09/2016 - Contact rustles up solution for snacks supplier
- 06/07/2016 - Contact offers expertise overseas
- 06/05/2016 - Contact boasts bespoke solution for waste specialist
- 05/04/2016 - Contact cuts lead times to cater for customer
- 01/03/2016 - Contact aids flood defence efforts for environment agency
- 02/02/2016 - Tipping skips prove popular choice for Contact Attachments' customers
- 21/01/2016 - Contact Attachments supplies safety access platforms
- 01/12/2015 - Exporting sees contact attchments meet international demands
- 26/11/2015 - Contact attachments product stands the test of time
- 28/10/2015 - Contact Attachments comes out on top
- 08/09/2015 - Contact Attachments’ Jib Does The Job
- 13/07/2015 - Contact attachments rolls out manual handling alternative
- 17/06/2015 - Major contract calls upon contact
- 05/05/2015 - Contact attachments lifts the load for Formwork Company
- 16/04/2015 - Contact Attachments loads the way for valve company
- 16/03/2015 - Contact Attachments unloads pressure of moving debris
- 12/02/2015 - Contact Attachments Lifts Business's Loading Issues
- 25/11/2014 - Leading Forklift Attachment Firm Set To Plough Through Winter
- 22/10/2014 - Leading Attachment Firm is at Forefront of Height Safety
- 26/09/2014 - Local Firm Enables Business to Reach New Heights
- 26/09/2014 - Leading Forklift Firm Drumming Up Support for Chemical Supplier
- 03/09/2014 - Local Firm Enables Business to Reach New Heights
- 03/09/2014 - Leading Forklift Firm Drumming Up Support For Chemical Supplier
- 22/07/2014 - Forklift Firm's Platform Provides Safety Peace of Mind
- 12/06/2014 - Leading Attachment firm unveils new website
- 16/05/2014 - International Successes help mark 40th Birthday in style
- 25/03/2014 - Pipeline Partnership Elevates Success
- 06/03/2014 - Leading Forklift Attachment Firm Provides Speedy Disposal Solution
- 10/01/2014 - Business Partnership is a Sweeping Success
- 10/12/2013 - Leading Firm Ensure's Safety with Salt Spreader
- 10/12/2013 - Leading Firm Ploughing into Action for Winter
- 03/10/2013 - Contact Attachments Celebrates New Catalogue Launch
- 03/09/2013 - Forklift Firm Turns Trucks Into Cranes
- 13/08/2013 - Forklift Attachment is Drumming out Manual Waste Management
- 16/07/2013 - Innovative Wheelie Bin Handlers ensure firms don't waste time
- 10/06/2013 - Forklift Firm Skips into Action
- 03/05/2013 - New Product is Platform of Success for Forklift Firm
- 12/04/2013 - Forklift Firm Helps Customers Tip into Action
- 11/03/2013 - Forklift Firm Helps Customers Reach New Heights
- 07/02/2013 - Leading Firm has Forklift Drum Attachments up for grab
- 29/01/2013 - Leading Firm Ploughs into Action in preparation for Winter Snow
- 29/01/2013 - Salt Spreaders ensure No 'Slip-Ups' throughout the Big Freeze
- 08/01/2013 - Wheelie Bin Handlers ensure firms don't waste time
- 29/11/2012 - Salt Spreaders ensure no ‘SLIP-UPS’ throughout the Big Freeze