Smurfit Kappa creates sell-out heritage packaging for Adnams
27 July 2009
1950s beer crate imitation pack emphasises company heritage and environmental stance to attract quality conscious customers.Europes' leading paper-based packaging manufacturer Smurfit Kappa has created novel secondary packaging for Adnams Champion Beer Selection pack. The packaging, which aims to highlight the 137-year history of the company plus its environmentally responsible credentials, had helped it achieve ‘most successful new product’ status in 2008.
Adnams approached Smurfit Kappa to design secondary packaging for a beer gift pack. They intended it to celebrate the opening of the companys' new Southwold flagship store, reflect the history of brewing in Southwold and highlight the brewing credentials of the Suffolk firm. In response to this brief and to capture the heritage of the Adnams brand, Smurfit Kappa recommended the packaging was modeled on a beer crate manufactured in 1956 to celebrate Adnams winning the Champion Beer of Britain.
Adnams supplied Smurfit Kappa with an original wooden beer crate. Its Chelmsford design team then generated and manipulated digital imagery of this crate – to make the box artwork look fully authentic. The resulting crash-lock glued box was manufactured from B Flute and uses a high quality print process, comprising of flexographic printing with two browns on a recycled liner. In keeping with Adnams policy on environmental responsibility, the box is made from 100 per cent recycled cardboard. This mirrors the reduced weight beer bottles and a ‘carbon neutral’ East Green Beer found inside.
Launched in November 2008, the Champion Beer Box has proven Adnams Cellar and Kitchen stores' ‘most successful new product of 2008’ and its Christmas ‘best seller’. The gift pack, containing six bottles of uniquely brewed regional beers (Adnams Broadside, Bitter, Explorer, Lighthouse, Gunhill and East Green products) has been ordered from consumers across the UK and abroad.
Shaun Bailey from Smurfit Kappa Chelmsford said; “Adnams has a quality conscious consumer, who is focused on product superiority and company credentials. We wanted the packaging to tell the story of the brewers' heritage and highlight its environmental stance. The use of the original beer crate design in 100 per cent recycled corrugated cardboard was the perfect vehicle for us to achieve this. We are delighted that our design has contributed to such strong sales.”
Liz Cobbold, Head of Marketing at Adnams said: “When we were building our new energy-efficient brewery in Southwold we found all sorts of historical items. This included wonderful original beer crates boxes from the 1950s. At the time we were briefing Smurfit Kappa on our new Champion Beer Selection box. They were very keen to incorporate such pieces of history into our new box design. We are thrilled with the results. It’s been one of the best selling products that we’ve ever had.”
Smurfit Kappa has a range of wide range of packaging and print services for the brewery, distiller and wine markets. This includes:
• Creating and printing corrugated packaging which holds spirits, beers and lagers.
• Producing solidboard divisions and pads to keep spirits and beer bottles safe in transit.
• Manufacturing and printing composite cardboard tubes and lids which hold spirits, champagne, beers, lagers and wines.
• Designing and producing microflute display packaging cases for beers:
• Creating a range of gift and promotional packaging for spirits, beers, lagers, wines and champagnes
• Manufacturing a range of bag in box packaging for wines
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 13/07/2009 - Smurfit Kappa "Skuffbox" set to revolutionise protective packaging
- 08/06/2009 - Revolutionary Transit Retail Display Unit stacker from Smurfit Kappa
- 04/12/2008 - Leading Packaging Manufacturer Creates Reinforced Mail order Pack for Wine
- 28/10/2008 - Water Resistent Corrugated Cardboard Packaging
- 25/04/2008 - Gold rush for Smurfit Kappa at EFTA print awards
- 09/11/2007 - Smurfit Kappa Wins With its Innovative GroBox Biodegradable Design
- 09/10/2007 - CEO of Smurfit Kappa UK Undertakes Night-Fill at ASDA-Wal-Mart
- 09/10/2007 - Smurfit Kappa Leads in the Corrugated Recycles Campaign