Megger supports IEC 61850 for protective relay testing
31 July 2009
Protective relay installations that are based on IEC 61850, the new international communication standard for electricity substations, can now be tested easily and conveniently with Megger’s popular and versatile MPRT test set.To provide a comprehensive and dependable test solution for installations and relays that use this important new standard, Megger has introduced an IEC 61850 option for the MPRT, together with the new MGC (Megger Goose Configurator) software package.
The MGC software allows users to import parameters from configuration files in SCL (Substation Control Language) format, and use them to configure the MPRT test set to subscribe to pre-selected GOOSE (Generic Object Oriented Substation Event) messages. Data from the received messages is assigned to the binary inputs of the test set, so that the messages effectively take the place of hard-wired connections to the binary outputs of the relays.
This arrangement provides for both manual and automatic relay testing, using either the integral Touch View Interface (TVI) of the MPRT test set, or Megger’s AVTS software relay testing software.
The MGC software can also be used to assign the binary outputs of the MPRT to GOOSE messages to allow the simulation of circuit breaker status. In addition, the TVI can be used to perform high-speed trip and reclose timing tests, and fully automatic testing is supported using test files created in Megger’s AVTS relay testing software package.
Among the many other functions available with the IEC 61850-enabled MPRT test set are high speed trip and reclose timing testing via the AVTS Dynamic Control feature, and manual high-speed timing tests using the Touch View Interface, for which the MPRT fully satisfies the timing requirements of the IEC 61850-5 standard, Type 1A, Class P
All existing Megger MPRT protective relay test sets can be upgraded to provide IEC 61850 support, while retaining their full functionality for testing conventional relay installations.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 13/08/2012 - Megger pinpoints cable faults with accuracy and ease
- 13/08/2012 - Megger acquires SebaKMT
- 13/08/2012 - Megger rewards online excellence
- 13/08/2012 - Measure phase angle quickly and easily with Megger
- 28/03/2011 - Megger catalogues contractor kit comprehensively
- 03/03/2011 - What happened at Newbury?
- 09/02/2011 - Megger’s new multimeter combines safety with versatility
- 11/01/2011 - Check voltage and more with Megger two-pole testers
- 05/01/2011 - Megger earth testers have the clamp of convenience
- 10/11/2010 - Testing to address the transformer threat
- 10/11/2010 - Megger helps keep SS Shieldhall shipshape
- 14/09/2010 - Time is running out for Megger’s money making events
- 07/09/2010 - MEGGER SUPPORT IS THERE WHEN YOU NEED IT!
- 23/07/2010 - Megger ups the ante in oil testing
- 15/07/2010 - Megger socialises online
- 06/07/2010 - Winding resistance quickly and safely with Megger
- 18/03/2010 - Megger’s EGIL simplifies breaker analysis
- 18/03/2010 - New catalogue from Megger is packed with opportunity
- 01/03/2010 - Megger provides contractors with more Business In A Box
- 13/11/2009 - Megger backs a winner with Central Trade Skills
- 04/09/2009 - Megger introduces on site training
- 28/08/2009 - Own Meggers' last ever AVO
- 29/06/2009 - Megger helps trainees with their tests
- 24/04/2009 - Megger measures low resistance anywhere
- 16/04/2009 - Megger has the definitive test for transformer insulation
- 27/03/2009 - Megger delivers versatility in easy relay testing
- 04/03/2009 - Megger Transformer maintenence minimises failure cover risk
- 16/12/2008 - Fancy a Business in a Box?
- 12/12/2008 - Megger Keeps the Western Locomotive Running
- 25/11/2008 - Measurement of Moisture in Oil Made Easy by Megger
- 07/11/2008 - Megger's TDR Plugs Revenue Leaks
- 14/10/2008 - The Transformer
- 13/10/2008 - Megger’s PowerDB Turns Results into Revenue
- 06/10/2008 - Megger say Goodbye to their most Popular Product
- 19/08/2008 - Condition Assessment without a Laptop
- 19/08/2008 - Transformer testing with speed and accuracy
- 17/07/2008 - Earth Testing made Easy
- 16/07/2008 - The case of the flying Megger meters!
- 14/07/2008 - Megger Helps Students Pass
- 20/05/2008 - Megger makes testing easier with Bluetooth