Reducing risk with effective 'SIL' vibration monitoring
06 July 2010
Monitoring vibration on critical rotating plant can play a key role in meeting the protection requirements of the latest machinery directives, specifically (Directive 2006/42/EC) which came into force at the end of 2009.This directive demands that machine manufacturers identify the hazards and risks their products present to users. Any risks identified must be reduced to as low a level as is reasonably practicable. The important considerations are; failure of rotating plant can not only be expensive in terms of repair cost and lost revenue through downtime, but also pose a significant health and safety risk. Also, what level of integrity does a vibration protection system need to ensure safe shutdown under all operational conditions?
To help manufacturers and operators meet these latest protection requirements and to minimise the risks, condition monitoring specialists SENSONICS have developed proven and robust vibration protection systems for many industrial sectors. For example their DN2611 SIL (Safety Integrity Level) rated dual channel monitor is ideal for machine casing and bearing vibration monitoring applications. It provides dual level alarms (warning and danger) for each channel and provides a relay interface for plant shutdown and health monitoring.
Current loop outputs for each channel are provided for interfacing with a PLC for trending and further alarm monitoring. The transducer interface can be configured for operation with or without safety barriers. In a simplex configuration the monitor used in conjunction with Sensonics PZS4 accelerometer is suitable for SIL 1 applications, while in a duplex configuration (2 parallel channels) protection can be provided at a SIL 2 level.
Where the probability of failure to trip on demand for each configuration is designed to meet SIL target, the resulting spurious trip performance is also excellent. This ensures a high integrity protection solution with minimal risk of downtime due to spurious events.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 30/07/2014 - New advanced display options for Sentry G3 take machinery protection to a new level
- 10/07/2014 - Seismic safety switch provides high-integrity earthquake protection
- 28/06/2012 - Turbine supervisory success for Sensonics in Asia
- 24/04/2012 - Sensonics monitor provides compact, affordable protection for small to medium machines
- 10/04/2012 - Novel dynamic displacement monitoring technique
- 10/01/2012 - Sensonics continue growth in China
- 23/11/2011 - ATEX approval for Sensonics Shaft Vibration and Thrust Transmitters
- 20/07/2011 - New rear and side view target protection option for Sensonics' Proximity Probes
- 20/04/2011 - High Speed Rail Monitoring points toward more intelligent infrastructure
- 03/02/2011 - Sensonics rises to Cruachan power station upgrade challenge
- 21/01/2011 - Sensonics G3 - online machine monitoring with robustness
- 07/09/2010 - Sensonics' compact Proximity Probe solutions extended for vibration & position
- 11/01/2010 - Sensonics' success in China
- 12/08/2009 - Thrust and rod drop direct to DCS ideal for OEMs
- 08/10/2008 - Romania Continues to Grow Renewable Energy Source