Unique portable WLL 1000kg Davit Crane sets new standards
19 July 2010
The world’s first lightweight portable davit jib crane capable of lifting a tonne in weight has created quite a splash with the water industry since its launch early this year.The innovative new system designed, developed and manufactured in-house by Chepstow based Reid Lifting, is specifically designed to meet and exceed the rigorous requirements and stringent health and safety regime of the water industry.
The lightweight Porta-Davit is made from aluminum, can be carried and assembled by one or two people, lifted into embedded sockets on site and ready for use within minutes. It can then be dismantled, cleaned and packed away ready for re-use.
It is designed for water and waste treatment plants where pumps, valves and filters need to be lifted for inspection on a regular basis.
Many of the pumps weigh over half a tonne and currently engineers have to rig up expensive, large machines or build permanent structures to carry out this work.
The new Porta-Davit has created considerable interest as well as forward orders and REID is now gearing up for volume production, as applications are being identified across many existing and new markets.
MD Nick Battersby explained:
“There’s nothing on the market with this lifting capability and offering such safety factors. Feedback from exhibitions and client demos has been extremely positive and encouraging with orders from one of the Worlds leading Water companies and custom units from specialist engineering companies in new markets. The water industry in particular struggles with increasingly heavy pumps and filters that have to be lifted and the benefits of such a unique system as ours were immediately recognised. Every system shipped from our factory is load tested to 150% of rated capacity providing our customers with the greatest safety factors in the industry.”
In an interview Ieuan Wyn Jones, Minister for the Economy and Transport in Wales, said the success of Reid Lifting clearly illustrated the importance of investing in research and development to bring new products to the market:
“Innovation is vital for success and its good to see that as a result of this investment Reid Lifting is winning new business, entering new markets and in pole position to maximize this competitive edge during the economic upturn.”
Sales and Marketing Director Phillip Ellis said they have effectively bypassed the worst effects of the recession through investing in R&D and developing new products and markets and winning new export orders in Europe, Middle East and the USA:
“Our focus on International development means we have maintained our revenues over the last 24 months and now have a broader international platform for the future, as well as a recovering UK market.”
A recent large order from their USA & Canada reseller partner Thern Inc of Minnesota, has consolidated Reids' activities in North America, adding to their recent successes in reseller developments across France, the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Norway and the Middle East.
Reid Lifting specialises in the design, development and manufacture of lightweight lifting systems. Its PORTA-GANTRY 5000, capable of lifting 5 tonnes, is another unique market leader with the PORTA-GANTRY range being awarded a Queen’s Award for Enterprise:Innovation.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 31/10/2012 - Instant online quotes from Reid Lifting
- 08/10/2012 - Reid offer £250 reward for photos!
- 27/07/2012 - Boels takes Porta-Gantry to wider European market
- 18/04/2012 - Monmouth MP congratulates Reid Lifting
- 24/02/2012 - Reid to exhibit at WETEX 2012, Dubai
- 08/12/2011 - Reid Lifting expands reseller network into Turkey
- 20/10/2011 - Boels Rental expands its lifting and material activities in Europe in partnership with Reid lifting
- 31/08/2011 - Speedy to be first with Reids' Rapide
- 17/08/2011 - Innovation blossoms at Reid from University partnership
- 22/07/2011 - Reids' customised Porta-Davit selected by NI Water
- 22/07/2011 - REID Lifting helps close last few “snags” at Ajman (UAE) STW
- 13/07/2011 - Where millimeters matter
- 07/07/2011 - Reid launch Porta-Gantry Rapide and Porta-Davit 1000 at IWEX
- 04/07/2011 - Reid PD1000 launches boat from awkward positiion
- 21/02/2011 - Reid gives Water Aid a lift
- 11/01/2011 - Reid Lifting to exhibit with reseller partner Ecolistec of Switzerland at BAU Munich 2011
- 12/09/2010 - Reids' Porta-Gantry re-installs Egyptian sculptures
- 07/09/2010 - “REID’s new PD1000 develops further reach...”
- 08/12/2009 - Reid Lifting launch unique 1 tonne PORTA-DAVIT at Pollutec Paris
- 13/11/2009 - Crowland Cranes meet extreme confined space challenge with REID Porta-Gantry
- 12/11/2009 - CERN specifies Reids' Porta-Gantry system
- 11/11/2009 - REID Lifting signs B Glettenberg GmbH as a reseller across Germany, Austria and Switzerland