ETC Enigmas keep watch over co-ed school
10 September 2010
Scalewatcher ENIGMA units from Environmental Treatment Concepts are significantly reducing energy costs at St Edmunds' School.The Canterbury school is an independently run co-educational day and boarding school. The school caters for pupils from the age of three to eighteen, providing integrated educational opportunities from Pre-Prep School, through to Senior School, all on the same campus and sharing the same facilities, where appropriate. The school has 200 girls and 350 boys, approximately 18% of which are boarders.
Standing on its' present site since 1855, the schools' buildings have evolved and changed as development has demanded, however some have stood for many years. The school has four main plant rooms with both gas and oil systems providing domestic water and heating. Over time, hard water limescale has built up in the hot water systems resulting in inefficient temperature recovery, leading to repeated complaints about insufficient hot water and low temperatures in the winter months.
Having heard about Environmental Treatment Concepts' ability not only to prevent limescale build up but also to reverse the effects of scaling, school Bursar, Mary Stannard, called upon the company to provide a solution. A site survey was carried out by an ETC applications engineer with maintenance manager Robin Fishwick, to identify problem areas and decide where their Scalewatcher ENiGMA units would be most effectively sited to treat the various systems.
Following installation, temperature data loggers were located at the girls’ dormitory enabling comparisons between old and new cylinders. Results showed that the cylinders were recovering temperature much more rapidly, even in winter. The older cylinders achieved an increased temperature of 5°c within six months, matching the temperatures of the newer cylinders. More importantly, no further complaints have been received from the pupils about the lack of hot water.
Moreover, the heat exchangers in the mixed dormitory were recovering temperature 60% faster. The maintenance manager had even considered switching off the primary during the day, considerably reducing oil consumption.
Records kept by the ETC engineer concluded that within six months of installation the two older heat exchangers recovered their heat in just 3 hours, compared to 12 hours previously, resulting in at least a 25% reduction in gas consumption.
The descaler installed in the boys' dormitory to treat water for the showers also had a positive result as the showerheads only need descaling once a year compared to every term previously.
The effectiveness of the Scalewatcher ENiGMA units can also be seen in the laundry room where the water softeners to the hot water system have been disconnected with no noticeable problems, providing subsequent savings in salt and regenerated water.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 22/05/2017 - Nottingham Trent University gas water heaters
- 12/05/2017 - Maidstone prison hot water calorifier
- 27/03/2017 - Pingles leisure centre swimming pool conditioning
- 27/03/2017 - Queen Elizabeth Hospital Barbados
- 24/03/2017 - Lucas Power Systems Water Spray Booth
- 24/03/2017 - KNP Paper Mill - The Netherlands Water Treatment Plant
- 13/03/2017 - Controlling Legionella and Legionella Pneumophila in water systems
- 13/03/2017 - Cash Back for John Lewis through Energy Savings
- 10/03/2017 - Greek Poultry Farm Evaporative Cooling Panels
- 10/03/2017 - Goole Hospital Water System
- 20/02/2017 - Gallaher Steam Humidifiers
- 20/02/2017 - Fapajal paper - Portugal vacuum pumps
- 20/02/2017 - Leading Leisure Centre - Jersey, Channel Islands Swimming Pool Treatment
- 20/02/2017 - Eastney Health Centre - Portsmouth
- 14/02/2017 - Dutch poultry farm Bell Waterers/Nipple Drinkers
- 14/02/2017 - Dyped medical equipment - The Netherlands
- 14/02/2017 - David S Smith Packaging - Newmarket
- 14/02/2017 - Dairy Crest Milk Processing Plant - Evaporators
- 14/02/2017 - Cannon Rubber - Steam Boiler
- 13/02/2017 - Dairy Crest milk processing plant evaporators
- 13/02/2017 - Crowtree Leisure - Desuper Heat Exchanger
- 13/02/2017 - Chrysanthemum Nursery - Steam Boiler
- 13/02/2017 - CS Interglass - Water Cooled Rools
- 13/02/2017 - Commercial Union - Gas Boiler System
- 10/02/2017 - Courtaulds - Vapour Condenser
- 10/02/2017 - Residential Home Hartlepool - Laundry Equipment
- 10/02/2017 - Chassisjet - High Pressure Water Equipment
- 10/02/2017 - Calypso drinks - chilled water system
- 06/02/2017 - Britannia Airways - Hot Water Boiler
- 06/02/2017 - Buckland Paper Mill - Blowdown Vessel
- 06/02/2017 - Beatrix Gold Mine - South Africa
- 06/02/2017 - Baff Laundry - USA Boiler Water Services
- 31/01/2017 - Avonmore Meats Angelery & Steam Boiler
- 31/01/2017 - Avon Council Nursing Homes
- 31/01/2017 - Aspen Design Steam & Combination Ovens
- 31/01/2017 - Applegate Nurseries
- 31/01/2017 - Allington House Water System
- 28/11/2013 - ENiGMA - Chemical Free Struvite Deposit Control
- 17/10/2013 - Controlling Crustacean infestations in pipelines
- 08/10/2012 - ENiGMA benefits to Reverse Osmosis systems
- 08/10/2012 - Energy savings mean cash back for Waitrose
- 05/10/2012 - ETC ENiGMA success in Avon Council nursing homes
- 03/10/2012 - ETC ENiGMA improves nursery heating performance
- 02/10/2012 - ETC ENiGMA reduces limescale at Hampshire Hotel
- 19/09/2012 - Electronic Water Descaler makes a meal out of restaurant hard water
- 29/03/2012 - Maltby Colliery coalface equipment cooling
- 09/03/2011 - Does your boiler and fittings comply with sub-section 40 of the 1955 Factories Act?
- 25/11/2010 - ENiGMA cleans up at Portugal Copper Mine
- 31/08/2010 - CRC promoting sustainability - the legacy of our time
- 30/12/2009 - Saving Energy and Water through effective Electronic Water Conditioning
- 07/12/2009 - ETC success through R&D
- 26/11/2009 - Effectiveness of ENiGMA testing
- 22/10/2009 - Hot water flows freely again at Chilworth Manor Hotel
- 15/10/2009 - Continuing John Lewis & ETC relationship to cut carbon footprint
- 05/08/2009 - Effective solution for Southern Water struvite problem
- 31/07/2009 - Going 'green' in the Algarve
- 29/06/2009 - Sustainability & hard water, or the missed opportunity to have a real impact on the S word
- 25/06/2009 - Contact Lens manufacturer makes clear decision on limescale prevention
- 15/05/2009 - Trusts under fire over refusal of limescale recognition
- 06/05/2009 - Hard water limescale is a major factor of end user increased energy costs
- 05/05/2009 - Project SLAM – Prevention is better than cure
- 30/04/2009 - ENiGMA reduces Kings School heating costs by 58%