A new pavement clock for Windsor installed with time capsule hidden below.
20 April 2011
It was an exciting moment as many people watched the replacement clock Good Directions manufactured for the Royal Borough of Windsor being lowered into the pavement in Thames Street, the exact spot where the original clock had been placed over fifty years previously.The original clock was installed on May 15, 1950, by former Windsor Mayor and owner of Dysons, Sir Cyril Dyson. Sadly the clock was removed many years ago and its wareabouts is now unknown but the council wanted to re-instate an important part of Windsor's heritage and so approached us to manufacture a replacement.
Dyson's grandaughter Caroline Fox, whose father Geoffrey Dyson took over the family business until it closed in the 1980s, proudly watched as Mayor Cllr Catherine Bursnall, unveiled the new clock. Mrs Fox, from Maidenhead, said: "It is very emotional, I feel my dad right here, it is an extremely proud moment for the family. My first memories of the clock are lying down when I was about four and listening to it tick. Everyone knew my father because Dysons was the one with the clock in the pavement and people would always walk by looking at it. At the time, I think it was the only one in the world."
This time round the landmark also has a hidden feature as just before the clock was lowered into place a time capsule was put into the ground below the clock, so should it ever be removed again there will be an interesting reminder of what Windsor was like in 2011. A fitting addition to a clock in a pavement, one which we have been proud to be a part of.
To view other examples of our bespoke and standard clocks please visit: http://www.exteriorclock.com/ or for our complete product range visit http://www.good-directions.co.uk/. For more information please call us on 01489 797773.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 12/01/2018 - Pillar clock marks The Queen’s Sapphire Jubilee
- 12/01/2018 - Classic clocks for Tower in Poundbury
- 12/01/2018 - Bespoke Bezel Clock for CBeebies Hotel
- 12/01/2018 - Bespoke clock for school
- 12/01/2018 - Clock at AA Headquarters
- 20/12/2016 - Two Great British clock manufacturers join forces as Good Directions Ltd acquires Shire Clocks Ltd.
- 19/12/2016 - Mach Engineering manufacturing parts for new Aston Martin powerboat
- 19/06/2015 - Pillar clocks create a real focal point in the street scene
- 10/02/2014 - Commemorative clock now has pride of place in Burley
- 08/10/2013 - Good Directions launch new range of Clock Tables
- 14/08/2013 - Two Great British manufacturers join forces as Good Directions Ltd acquires Neptune Outdoor Furniture Ltd.
- 05/11/2012 - Good Directions Ltd design bespoke clocks for Grand Designs Live exhibition
- 13/08/2012 - Good Directions restores clock to old school façade for new housing scheme
- 31/07/2012 - New Jubilee pillar clock by Good Directions Ltd unveiled by Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall
- 11/07/2011 - Good Directions Ltd manufactures bespoke clock for new Disney store in London.
- 06/07/2011 - Pupil wins replica clock for designing a new large exterior clock for Darrick Wood school.
- 06/07/2011 - 4m high exterior clock feature manufactured for new park in Azerbaijan.
- 18/05/2011 - Stafford 'Heroes' Clock
- 18/05/2011 - Good Directions new landmark exterior clock for Banbury unveiled by the Mayor.
- 17/05/2011 - Harrods choose Good Directions to manufacture Big Ben replica for new signature room.
- 17/05/2011 - Azerbaijan's Largest Exterior Clock Manufactured by Good Directions Ltd
- 13/05/2011 - Good Directions new landmark exterior clock for Banbury unveiled by the Mayor
- 05/05/2011 - New Town Clock for Bingham by Good Directions Ltd
- 05/05/2011 - World's largest Grandfather clock manufactured by Good Directions Ltd?
- 13/09/2010 - Good Directions clock in on time for Daybreak
- 21/07/2009 - Restoring stopped clocks are steps in Good Directions