SE Controls gains LABC approval for new smoke ventilation solution
12 January 2012
An advanced smoke & heat exhaust ventilation (SHEV) system developed by smoke and natural ventilation specialist SE Controls has received full Registered Detail Certification from the LABC (Local Authority Building Control) following a detailed and extensive performance evaluation process.The new SHEVTEC® Extended Travel Distance System was developed by SE Controls to provide an off the shelf solution for developers to deliver extended travel distances with a single escape staircase while avoiding the expense of costly CFD modelling.
Due to the safety critical nature of its application, the new system took more than two years to develop fully with SE Controls’ designers and engineers making extensive use of advanced computational fluid dynamics techniques to model a wide range of operating scenarios, building layouts and escape situations.
In addition, the LABC certification registration gives local building control officers (BCO’s) the confidence to accept the SHEVTEC Extended Travel Distance System knowing that it has already been rigorously evaluated and tested. The system’s components are all tested and CE marked to the most recent European Standards and SE Controls believes it the only company that can offer such a high performance solution.
The fully compliant and CE marked system also incorporates a range of additional features that enable specifiers, designers and developers to achieve a more cost effective solution without compromising safety. The SHEVTEC Extended Travel Distance System offers further cost savings to developers by reducing the size of smoke shafts to less than half of the 1.5m2 required by an Approved Document B compliant natural ventilation system.
The innovative system has already been installed by SE Controls in a major accommodation project for around 1000 students in Nottingham, which was also monitored and scrutinised as part of the detailed LABC verification process.
Will Perkins, SE Controls’ Managing Director, explained: “This is a significant achievement in smoke ventilation and fire safety as the new system not only provides an effective solution for buildings outside of Approved Document B, but also provides greater freedom for architects, specifiers and developers. Clearly, we are all delighted to be awarded approval by the LABC as it now provides local authorities with a ready made fully compliant solution.”
Recent guidance published by the Smoke Control Association (SCA) covering ‘Guidance on smoke control to common escape routes in apartment buildings, flats and maisonettes’ is the focus of a key seminar being held on 10th April 2012 at FETA’s headquarters in Hare Hatch, Reading. Aimed at BCOs, the Fire Service and other stakeholders, details and booking instructions are available from FETA’s website www.feta.co.uk.
SE Controls specialises in the design, project management and installation of advanced smoke ventilation and natural ventilation solutions to meet the needs of architects, contractors, building services engineers and facilities managers worldwide. Further information on SE Controls’ products, solutions and projects can be obtained by visiting www.secontrols.com or calling +44 (0) 1543 443060.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 06/06/2016 - New ventilation and smoke control BIM objects from SE Controls
- 17/05/2016 - SE Controls helps keeps ‘Dragon’s fire’ under control
- 26/04/2016 - SE Controls keeps shoppers safe at Johannesburg’s new Mall of the South
- 21/03/2016 - SE Controls joins national Made in Britain campaign
- 12/02/2016 - SE Controls seeks new talent and skills at March recruitment fair
- 19/01/2016 - SE Controls gets switched on with Bristol’s Electricity House contract
- 19/01/2016 - SE Controls puts on a safe performance at Buxton Opera House
- 19/01/2016 - SE Controls receives FIRAS accreditation
- 19/01/2016 - ‘Green’ natural ventilation from SE Controls at new King’s Cross Central development
- 19/01/2016 - Fire safety and comfort cooling from SE Controls for new London apartment development
- 30/08/2012 - SE Controls delivers ‘Gold’ standard natural ventilation at Olympic Velodrome
- 13/08/2012 - SE Controls wins ‘historic’ award from The National Archive
- 27/06/2012 - SE Controls provides a creative environment at new university design centre
- 26/04/2012 - SE Controls sponsor the Peter Wilson Lecture
- 23/03/2012 - SE Controls publishes new ‘white paper’ on smoke control in apartment buildings
- 12/03/2012 - SE Controls presents latest smoke control technology at the LABC Conference & Exhibition
- 12/03/2012 - Focus on waste management and recycling pays off for SE Controls
- 08/03/2012 - Tesco superstore shoppers stay safe and cool with SE Controls
- 24/02/2012 - Top MSc student wins low carbon building design prize from SE Controls
- 23/02/2012 - SE Controls tops £12,000 in Macmillan charity fundraising
- 30/11/2011 - SE Controls provides comfort and safety at new hospital
- 24/11/2011 - SE Controls strengthens its team with six new appointments
- 07/11/2011 - Advanced smoke ventilation solution from SE Controls protects Nottingham students
- 07/11/2011 - Triple RIBA Stirling Prize success for SE Controls
- 03/10/2011 - “SE Controls Launch the SHEVTEC® Extended Travel Distance System”
- 03/10/2011 - ‘See SE Controls’ Residential Smoke Ventilation system at the M&E Exhibition, Olympia 11th & 12th October’
- 14/09/2011 - ‘‘Eight Core Competencies to Successful Smoke and Natural Ventilation Solutions’’
- 14/09/2011 - ‘SE Controls Support CAB’s Technical Conference’
- 14/09/2011 - ‘Natural Ventilation Strategy for Highbury College’
- 14/09/2011 - ‘Placing SE Controls on the Map’
- 14/09/2011 - ‘SE Controls Complete Charity Bike Ride’
- 14/09/2011 - ‘SE Controls at M&E Exhibition’
- 14/09/2011 - ‘SE Controls New Tamper Proof Manual Control Point (MCP)’
- 14/09/2011 - ‘SE Controls - Expansion in Recession’
- 20/04/2011 - ‘Standards for Natural Ventilation and Smoke Ventilation’
- 14/03/2011 - ‘New naturally ventilated wing to Kew’s Herbarium’
- 14/03/2011 - ‘SE Controls Charity Support’
- 24/11/2010 - Automated Facade Control
- 24/11/2010 - Smoke Ventilation, Natural Ventilation & Window Automation
- 24/11/2010 - The Partners in Facade Automation
- 05/10/2010 - SE Controls the Automatic Choice for Manual Window Controls