02 February 2012
World's first commercial wave power plant chooses Novotechnik 'touchless technology' non contacting angle sensors supplied by Variohm EuroSensorTowcester – UK – January 2012: Voith Hydro Wavegen, the Inverness based marine renewable wave power specialists recently completed installation of the world's first commercial wave power plant.
Located in Mutriku in Northern Spain the 300 kW plant is based upon Wavegen's Nearshore Oscillating Water Column (OWC) technology which employs Novotechnik RFC4800 series 'touchless technology' non contacting angle sensors supplied by Variohm EuroSensor.
Recognising the considerable benefit of this renewable and abundant energy source, the Basque Energy Board (EVE) commissioned Wavegen's Nearshore OWC to be built into a new breakwater that was required to provide sea defence protection for the harbour at Mutriku. The technology has enormous worldwide potential for ocean facing coastlines and small islands.
The civil structure at Mutriku has 16 integrated Wells turbines that are located above a large chamber with an opening that is submerged under the water. As the ocean swell rises and falls so does the water level in the chamber. Rising water compresses the chamber air which is forced through the turbine generator. The falling water then sucks the air back through the turbine into the chamber. The Wells turbine is driven in the same direction irrespective of the air direction. The electricity generated is conditioned and exported to the grid – enough to power 250 homes.
The RFC4800 angle sensor is used to provide position feedback for a large butterfly damper located between the chamber and the turbine. Driven by an electrical actuator (painted blue in the photograph of the turbines), the damper is used to isolate the turbine for shut down purposes as well as throttle the turbine airflow in extreme sea states .
The RFC4800 uses a magnetic field to determine measurement angle. With no moving parts, the completely non contacting design includes a magnetic position marker typically attached to the customer’s shaft that interacts with the sensor electronics, providing an analogue output proportional to angle position.
For the Wavegen application, the position sensor element is fixed to the turbine frame and the corresponding magnetic position marker is located directly on the end of the actuator shaft. This arrangement, with no bearings to wear and with each element IP69 sealed allows extremely high reliability and long working life – the MTBF rating for the electronics is 50000 hours. The magnet and sensor elements are easily installed and as the 12-bit resolution (0.09 degrees) analogue output is absolute, there is no need to recalibrate the valve position after a power shutdown.
"It’s a critical piece of equipment as the butterfly position is inherent to the safe operation of our turbine." Says Adam Young – Wavegen's Business Development Engineer. "As you might imagine, given the conditions in which this equipment operates (salt laden air, cyclic positive and negative pressure) and in a commercial plant, it’s imperative that the equipment is robust and functions reliably."
Novotechnik's RFC4800 series angle sensors are used widely for extreme environment applications in agricultural and construction equipment as well as marine and automotive areas. With very high resilience to shock and vibration, the sensors are well suited to space restricted installations in moving vehicles, and the transmissive properties between magnet and sensor means that operation can be possible through non-magnetic barriers such as gearbox casings.
A choice of three models is available for supply voltages of 5 VDC, 12 VDC or 12/24 VDC. Optional output formats include 0 – 10 VDC, 0.5 – 4.5 VDC, a ratiometric voltage based upon a pre-calibrated percentage of the input, and 4 – 20 mA. The standard electrical angle is 360 degrees but optional 30 to 360 degree specials can be supplied as well as redundant output versions. IP67 environmental protected models are also available.
Voith Hydro Wavegen’s other successes in marine renewable energy include the world’s first commercial scale grid connected wave energy plant on the island of Islay, off the Scottish west coast. Called LIMPET, it was commissioned in 2000 and is still operated today as a test facility for Wavegen's research and development work. It has clocked up over 70,000 operating hours delivering electricity to the grid.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 23/11/2016 - No batteries or gears: Contelec’s new absolute single-turn/multi-turn contactless sensor has improved design
- 07/11/2016 - Heavy duty rotary position feedback: Contelec Vert-X 48E non-contacting magnetic sensor suits extreme environment applications
- 20/09/2016 - Variohm EuroSensor adds puck and magnet option to Euro-X Hall Effect angle sensor range
- 12/09/2016 - Hexagonal bolt temperature probes provide ideal solution for Comlab multi-band receivers
- 09/08/2016 - Fast delivery for standard or bespoke strain gauges
- 25/04/2016 - Linear position sensors for professional mountain bike set-up: Variohm EuroSensor VLP and ELPM used by UCI Mountain Bike World Champion
- 12/04/2016 - Durable rotary position sensing: Novotechnik’s Hall-effect single- and multi-turn rotary sensors provide multiple options
- 31/03/2016 - Novotechnik RFC-4800 touchless technology angle sensor now with CANopen
- 08/03/2016 - VTP11 rotary sensor offers 8 mm D-shaft mounting and well-proven resistive element technology
- 22/02/2016 - Wachendorff industrial encoders are integrated in conveyor and web length measurement systems
- 16/02/2016 - Variohm EuroSensor adds intrinsically safe pressure and level switching and sensing components
- 26/01/2016 - Linear position sensors provide high accuracy steering for agricultural vehicle guidance systems
- 19/01/2016 - Crucial evidence: DesignFlex pressure switches aid improved DNA sampling process
- 15/12/2015 - ZEMIC strain gauges added to Variohm EuroSensor product range
- 10/12/2015 - New high-specification temperature probe offers extended performance at competitive cost
- 23/11/2015 - Long travel linear position measurement: Variohm supply draw wire sensors to Hunger Hydraulics for lifting bridge application
- 09/11/2015 - Variohm EuroSensor adds 8 mm D-shaft option to motorsports-proven Hall Effect angle sensor range
- 03/11/2015 - Position sensors with 10m range: Variohm EuroSensor adds new Celesco SK series cable extension sensors
- 19/10/2015 - Pressure and temperature measurement combined: Variohm EuroSensor's EPTTE3100 provides a cost effective and space saving solution
- 12/08/2015 - Ginetta Cars upgrade dynamometer rig with Variohm EGT sensors
- 01/07/2015 - Improved sailing performance with DesignFlex enabled Sip-and-Puff
- 03/03/2015 - High precision single-/dual-axis inclinometer offers wide choice of options
- 12/02/2015 - Wachendorff revise and improve incremental encoder range
- 04/02/2015 - UN/ECE R10 electromagnetic compatibility for automotive and mobile vehicle sensors
- 07/01/2015 - Contactless angle sensor range adds multi-turn capability, with 16-bit resolution version available
- 26/11/2014 - Non-Contacting Sensor for Electro-Hydraulic Actuators
- 13/10/2014 - Variohm EuroSensor’s custom designed temperature probes meet SPA’s high quality standards
- 06/10/2014 - For Applications Where Safety Is A Concern: High-Precision Multiple Section Potentiometer for Industrial Use
- 06/10/2014 - Small, lightweight, gearless, and now also featuring digital interfaces: Advancement in gearless Multiturn Sensors
- 06/10/2014 - Variohm’s new 9660 Hall Effect rotary position sensor is ideal for harsh environment angle measurement
- 26/09/2014 - Multiple use of sensors: Garford’s Robocrop precision guided weed control equipment applies position, pressure and temperature sensor technologies from Variohm
- 30/06/2014 - Variohm announce new platinum thin film RTD sensor line
- 12/06/2014 - Variohm EuroSensor provide Novotechnik RFC series ‘touchless’ two-part sensor for the Big Bale Transtacker
- 25/03/2014 - Variohm EuroSensor launch new low-cost pressure sensor for OEM applications
- 06/03/2014 - Wachendorff adds CAN bus I/O node functionality to CANopen absolute encoder
- 16/01/2014 - Super-Flat Non-Contacting Rotary Sensor
- 13/01/2014 - Molten Rock choose Variohm for all-terrain wheelchair power steering position feedback
- 05/12/2013 - Southern Manufacturing Show 2014 MiniTec UK - Stand F50
- 05/12/2013 - Southern Manufacturing Show 2014 LG Motion Ltd - Stand F48
- 26/04/2012 - New boiler probe has integrated connector
- 26/04/2012 - It's about The Challenge – Variohm Holdings launch new website
- 26/04/2012 - Life Racing's fast paddle gearshift system benefits from reliable rotary position sensor
- 27/02/2012 - Variohm EuroSensor now offers Lifetime Warranty on popular Meggitt Wilcoxon Research vibration sensor range
- 01/02/2012 - Variohm EuroSensor adds new triaxial accelerometer to vibration sensor range
- 04/01/2012 - Contactless measurement principles in the fast lane
- 04/01/2012 - ZEMIC high capacity BM24R load cell arrives with OIML approval for use in washdown and harsh environments
- 15/12/2009 - Cryostat temperature measurement is critical for Variohm EuroSensor
- 04/12/2009 - Cost optimised linear position sensors from Variohm have open housing and two part design
- 23/11/2009 - Novotechnik conductive plastic technology suits harsh environment applications at realistic pricing levels
- 27/10/2009 - Variohm non-contact angle sensors open new applications
- 22/06/2009 - Twenty20 Floodlights use Variohm Position Sensors
- 12/05/2009 - The use of optical encoders for high accuracy positioning of cranes