Datashred warns data dumping businesses
07 February 2012
Data destruction experts and NAID endorsed national data shredding specialists, PHS Datashred, are warning UK businesses to tighten up security after a National Association for Information Destruction (NAID) study revealed that organisations are still openly dumping confidential information.In London alone, more than 40 percent of bins contain confidential documents despite organisations potentially facing a £500,000 fine from the Information Commissioners' Office (ICO), as well as running the risk of ID theft.
The month-long study used private investigators to research 44 bins belonging to hospitals, law firms, banks, head offices and government agencies.
PHS Datashred Commercial Director, Anthony Pearlgood;
"With recent reports of high profile data dumping incidents from Oliver Letwin and Vince Cable, it’s a shame London businesses haven’t learnt from their mistakes. Failing to protect your business against ID fraudsters is very damaging and could mean the difference between success and failure".
"PHS Datashred always advise organisations to create a confidential data policy and educate staff. If you don’t have one in place your organisation is already in the high risk category for being a victim of data theft. Train staff on how to deal with confidential data properly and monitor their behaviour".
"Store data safely and destroy it properly – shred all confidential documents. Arrange for a properly accredited company to help collect and securely destroy information. Ensure you know where your data is heading. Even better, have your data destroyed on site, using a Mobile Shredding vehicle and watch the destruction".
The National Association of Information Destruction is a US based non profit industry organisation representing 1,800 secure data destruction service providers around the world. NAID Europe represents more than 120 member locations in Europe and more than 30 in the United Kingdom.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 05/09/2012 - PHS Datashred awarded prestigious customer service accreditation
- 05/09/2012 - PHS Datashred on track for Whizz Kidz
- 03/09/2012 - PHS Datashred scoop national recycling award
- 07/02/2012 - Datashred halts Jigsaw fraudsters - do you?
- 07/02/2012 - Datashred predict shredding boom for 2012
- 07/02/2012 - Employee annoyances
- 13/12/2011 - PHS Datashred’s expansion plans
- 08/12/2011 - Ward Hadaway looks to PHS Datashred for confidential waste disposal
- 28/11/2011 - The rules of reporting of data disclosures
- 28/11/2011 - London businesses must clean up data dumping act
- 02/06/2011 - PAS 141 gets warm welcome from confidential data experts
- 02/06/2011 - Datashred can help public sector in wake of data protection warning
- 02/06/2011 - Datashred asks, are you sure your data is secure?