Custom stainless steel autoclave for contact lens manufacturing
07 December 2017
Astell supplies custom-built 247 litre circular chamber autoclave to be used in optometry industry manufacturing.The customer specified our ASB280 ‘Swiftlock’ front loading autoclave which has a capacity of 247 litres. To it were fitted a selection of options to make it suitable for processing sealed blister packs containing contact lenses.
These include a stainless steel integral steam generator to provide efficient steam production, external jacket to enhance temperature control, and a specially designed internal fan to maintain a constant steam/air mix throughout the heating and sterilization phase of cycles.
These options also have the benefit of providing faster heating and cooling times compared to more basic machines of a similar size. Finally, the unit was equipped with orbitally welded stainless steel pipework, hygienic connections and stainless steel frame and external panels to suit the customers manufacturing environment.
Working with our customer, we produced modified sterilization programs able to meet the requirements of a fully loaded chamber of liquid filled blister packs, these concentrate on ramped heating and air flow to avoid bursting the sealed blister packs and progressive cooling after sterilization to avoid distortion of the product through sudden temperature change.
Further enhancements were provided in the form of upgraded software for Astell’s colour touchscreen controller, enabling the sterilizer to meet the guidelines of FDA 21 CFR Part 11 for electronic signatures.
The software requires any changes made to be authorised by electronic signature which is then stored and can be recalled to provide a clear picture of user input and changes for any given point in time.
The autoclave was fully tested before delivery, undergoing two days of chamber mapping and factory acceptance testing to the customer's specification, and we are pleased to report the machine is operating to its design requirements.
For more information on the Swiftlock range of front loading autoclaves or how we can build a machine to meet your requirements, please visit astell.com.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 24/07/2018 - Reduce water consumption with Astell’s Autofill benchtop autoclaves
- 08/06/2018 - Integrated hoist for Astell vertical autoclaves adds loading safety and versatility
- 08/06/2018 - Astell enjoys successful Scientific Laboratory Show 2018
- 07/06/2018 - Astell enjoys successful Scientific Laboratory Show 2018
- 16/04/2018 - Two 153 litre units are destined for a new laboratory facility in Oxfordshire.
- 15/02/2018 - Astell Scientific’s circular chamber autoclaves with sliding door offer potential cost and space savings
- 22/01/2018 - Astell Scientific launches dedicated Effluent Decontamination Systems website
- 04/01/2018 - Astell Scientific releases Remote Access /Network Connected autoclaves
- 23/11/2017 - New video tutorials for Astell’s touchscreen controller
- 20/10/2017 - Astell's new autoclave software for FDA 21 CFR Part 11 standard
- 21/09/2017 - How to load an autoclave
- 14/08/2017 - Astell and JW Lees - A drinks industry autoclave case study
- 09/08/2017 - Tips for cleaning and maintaining your sterilizer
- 25/07/2017 - Astell releases new product catalogue
- 25/07/2017 - Enhanced efficiency for Astell SQUARE ECO autoclaves
- 27/06/2017 - Eco-friendly Benchtop autoclaves by Astell Scientific
- 16/06/2017 - Key questions to ask when buying a new autoclave - Power and installation requirements
- 16/06/2017 - High power requirements vs. low power requirements on Sterilizers
- 15/05/2017 - Key questions to ask when buying a new autoclave - Sterilizer heating methods
- 11/05/2017 - Astell Scientific Benchtop autoclaves
- 04/05/2017 - Research-grade autoclaves by Astell Scientific
- 04/05/2017 - Double door, pass-through and double ended autoclaves
- 20/04/2017 - Key questions when buying a new autoclave - Circular or square chamber?
- 18/04/2017 - Key questions when buying a new autoclave - Circular or square chamber?
- 21/03/2017 - Expert advice for service and maintenance of your autoclave
- 13/03/2017 - Key questions when buying a new autoclave - Capacity and cycle time
- 10/03/2017 - Autoclaves then and now
- 20/02/2017 - Key questions when buying a new autoclave - What's the load?
- 10/02/2017 - USB port as standard on all Astell circular autoclaves
- 09/02/2017 - Autoclave validation and calibration services from Astell Scientific
- 20/01/2017 - Astell Helps the Fight Against Cancer
- 15/12/2016 - Astell Scientific’s new website compliments fresh product range and branding
- 10/11/2016 - Astell roll out latest colour touchscreen controllers for new autoclave range
- 20/10/2016 - A brand new look for Astell Scientific
- 22/09/2016 - Sterility Now with Astell Scientific
- 06/09/2016 - New autoclave range from Astell Scientific
- 11/03/2014 - No Drain? No Problem! – The Compact sterilizing solution that doesn’t need a Drain!
- 10/02/2014 - The Duaclave from Astell
- 03/05/2013 - Astell Goes Stateside
- 11/03/2013 - Can’t Touch This!