Is it worth keeping your electronics manufacturing in the UK?
12 June 2019
The decision to outsource electronics manufacturing to lower-cost, off-shore locations (offshoring) has long been recognised as being key to fuelling business growth, boosting profits and capitalising on greater economies of scale.But the global manufacturing landscape is constantly evolving.
And information gathered in the latest UK EMS Industry Report, suggests that UK electronics manufacturing companies are starting to seriously rethink their offshoring strategies.
For some it's been a process of 'direct reshoring', with companies choosing to relocate all their offshore production capacity back to their home country.
For others there has been a focus on 'indirect reshoring' where the strategic decision has been taken to ramp up operations at home rather than abroad.
And for some manufacturers the choice to 'nearshore', by choosing a manufacturing facility that is located geographically closer to their home country, is proving a more satisfactory middle ground.
So what's behind this trend in returning offshored manufacturing operations back to the UK?
According to the UK EMS Industry Report, there are a variety of factors in play - from reducing the total cost of products, to protecting valuable proprietary assets and building a more highly skilled local workforce.
In this blog post we explore four of the key observations to come out of the report.
1. Analysis of total cost
The hidden costs of an offshoring operation can be costlier than expected and more difficult to estimate.
Back in the 1990s, there was the opportunity to take advantage of the massive cost differentials of lower-priced labour pools in the developing world. But rising wage costs, often in response to shortages of skilled labour, have steadily eroded many of the previous benefits associated with offshoring.
Many companies are also looking at the total cost of global sourcing, including inventory and transport. There's also an increased focus on trimming down the shipping time from manufacture to final market, shortening the supply chain and finding ways to reduce the time that goods spend in transit.
2. Developments in technology
The use of technology has moved on in some pretty significant ways over the last several decades.
The rise of Industry 4.0 and the Internet of Things (IoT) has brought with it an increase in new product development. Reshoring manufacturing operations can help companies ease the process of introducing product improvements, managing upgrades, refining designs, and aiding New Product Introduction (NPI).
The electronics manufacturing industry is seeing a growing demand for high mix, low to medium volume production, in increasingly niche markets.
Highly-complex assemblies with a high mix of technologies, flex-rigid combinations and varying semi-conductor/chip set placements are often better suited to being perfected at a local level before they can be moved to a lower-cost location later on in the product life-cycle.
3. The protection of intellectual property
The sharing or transmitting of proprietary knowledge over longer distances brings with it a greater risk of the theft, misappropriation or duplication.
Being able to safeguard the valuable Intellectual Property (IP) of certain designs, operations or constructions will undoubtedly have had a part to play in the decision for some UK manufacturers to relocate their operations.
4. Managing from a distance
There are the inevitable complexities of managing projects 'from a distance'.
It can be more difficult to relay instructions when there are differences in time-zones or language barriers.
And maintaining offshore production from the other side of the world requires both time and significant financial investment, with the need for robust systems that can maintain checks on quality and resolve issues remotely.
According to official data released by the Office for National Statistics, the British economy had added 145,000 manufacturing jobs in the five years leading up to March 2018. This represents the longest period of sustained employment growth in UK manufacturing since records first began fifty years ago.
Experts suggest that this steady rise may be the result of reshoring, as jobs in low productivity sub sectors slowly return to the UK and companies look to foster a more highly skilled local workforce.
But it's also perhaps a sign of acknowledgement of the strength, skills and innovation that are already available to electronics manufacturers right here in the UK.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 03/07/2020 - Why outsourcing is a strategic decision
- 02/07/2020 - Robotic process automation in the manufacturing supply chain
- 12/06/2020 - How can manufacturers ensure business continuity?
- 04/06/2020 - Should UK manufacturers expect a nationwide reshoring initiative?
- 04/06/2020 - What the manufacturing environment might look like as a result of COVID-19 in the medium term manufacturing post-COVID
- 03/06/2020 - Why planning for failure is key to successful electronic assembly
- 03/06/2020 - My journey from university student to commercial graduate
- 14/05/2020 - How to withstand disruptive change in electronics manufacturing
- 28/04/2020 - 3 ways electronics manufacturing is combating the skills gap
- 27/04/2020 - Are virtual exhibitions the answer for UK electronics manufacturers?
- 27/04/2020 - Electronic component market review April 2020
- 06/04/2020 - 5 ways to combat cyber risk in UK electronics manufacturing
- 12/03/2020 - How is COVID-19 impacting the electronics manufacturing supply chain?
- 05/03/2020 - How can digital twinning benefit electronics manufacturing?
- 28/02/2020 - Which factors matter most in your PCB supplier selection strategy?
- 25/02/2020 - Three must-see Industry 4.0 events for UK electronics manufacturers
- 17/02/2020 - Securing an engineering placement - the final steps
- 07/02/2020 - What can electronics manufacturers gain from value engineering?
- 23/01/2020 - How can PCB design engineers combat raw material supply challenges?
- 17/01/2020 - Electronic component market review January 2020
- 03/01/2020 - Five ways to ace your engineering placement application
- 19/12/2019 - Gerber or ODB++ - which is best for your PCB fabrication?
- 16/12/2019 - What will your EMS partner expect to see in your build pack?
- 09/12/2019 - How digital tools can aid your postponement manufacturing strategy
- 25/11/2019 - 8 predictions for electronics manufacturing in 2020
- 14/11/2019 - What impact could CNY 2020 have on UK electronics manufacturing?
- 07/11/2019 - Is additive manufacturing the right choice for your electronic assembly?
- 04/11/2019 - What are 5 of the biggest threats to the electronics manufacturing supply chain?
- 24/10/2019 - Electronics manufacturing market review October 2019
- 18/10/2019 - Is the Smart Factory a realistic goal for UK electronics manufacturers?
- 14/10/2019 - Can SMEs overcome the seismic shifts in UK electronics manufacturing?
- 03/10/2019 - Why are rare earth elements so crucial for electronics manufacturing?
- 27/09/2019 - Is your EMS partner up to speed with WEEE 'Open Scope'?
- 23/09/2019 - How long will it take to address the UK engineering skills gap?
- 12/09/2019 - Combating ESD: the silent assassin in electronics manufacturing
- 04/09/2019 - The rising threat of social engineering for electronics manufacturers
- 22/08/2019 - Are you prepared for changes to the Conflict Minerals Regulation?
- 15/08/2019 - How can electronics manufacturers protect against cyber attacks?
- 13/08/2019 - The 7 steps to selecting a new EMS partner
- 07/08/2019 - Unit cost or total cost of supply: which matters most for UK OEMS?
- 26/07/2019 - How is the OEM/EMS partnership evolving in electronics manufacturing?
- 26/07/2019 - Could outsourcing your electronics manufacturing be the key to growth?
- 15/07/2019 - UK Electronics manufacturing 2019 - which markets are on the up?
- 05/07/2019 - Electronics manufacturing market review July 2019
- 28/06/2019 - Which test is best for your PCBA assembly - ICT or Flying Probe?
- 27/06/2019 - The 4 things every electronics manufacturer needs to know about test
- 19/06/2019 - Is digitalisation the key to the future of electronics manufacturing?
- 30/05/2019 - What are the key questions to ask when auditing a new EMS partner?
- 23/05/2019 - 4 ways electronics manufacturers are growing their businesses in 2019
- 22/05/2019 - JJS Manufacturing returns to Subcon 2019
- 17/05/2019 - Looking to outsource to an EMS partner? Then don't miss Subcon 2019
- 09/05/2019 - What should a New Product Introduction (NPI) report look like?
- 03/05/2019 - What key questions should your EMS partner be asking in the supplier selection process?
- 29/04/2019 - How can electronics manufacturers reduce their environmental impact?
- 26/04/2019 - 8 predictions for UK electronics manufacturing in 2019
- 11/04/2019 - Electronic component market review - April 2019
- 10/04/2019 - Which IPC-A-610 class is best for your printed circuit board assembly?
- 04/04/2019 - Degree or apprenticeship – how I combined the best of both worlds
- 22/03/2019 - The hidden materials handling costs every OEM should be aware of
- 22/03/2019 - How to attract the best new electronics manufacturing talent
- 08/03/2019 - How can OEMs ensure quality supply chain management?
- 14/02/2019 - 4 ways to instantly improve the efficiency of your PCBA production
- 08/02/2019 - Industrial placements - is a sandwich year a good idea?
- 04/02/2019 - Careers for women in engineering - dispelling the myths
- 25/01/2019 - What to expect when you outsource your electronics manufacturing
- 25/01/2019 - Electronic component market review - January 2019
- 25/01/2019 - Southern Manufacturing and Electronics Exhibition
- 10/01/2019 - Six top tips to finding the right engineering degree
- 04/01/2019 - Can your EMS partner mitigate against out-of-the-box failures?
- 21/12/2018 - Three must-see UK electronics manufacturing trade shows for 2019
- 20/12/2018 - How to avoid supply chain disruption this Chinese New Year
- 20/12/2018 - Engineering placements: how to find the scheme that’s right for you
- 28/11/2018 - Manufacturers, just how effective is your induction process?
- 12/11/2018 - 4 questions OEMs typically ask when outsourcing
- 26/10/2018 - How to measure employee engagement within manufacturing
- 22/10/2018 - What to see and do at the 2018 National Graduate Recruitment Fair
- 17/10/2018 - What next - engineering apprenticeship or university degree?
- 15/10/2018 - Electronic component market review - October 2018
- 02/10/2018 - Annual EEF fact card shows solid growth for UK manufacturing
- 21/09/2018 - The Engineering Design Show 2018 - everything you need to know
- 21/09/2018 - The no-nonsense guide to Lean Manufacturing terms
- 18/09/2018 - What do SMT component shortages mean for design and manufacturing engineers
- 14/09/2018 - Looking under the hood of multi-layer ceramic capacitors (MLCCs)
- 06/09/2018 - Why ‘riding out’ the electronic components crisis is no longer an option
- 23/08/2018 - The impact of industry regulations on your manufacturing supply chain
- 20/08/2018 - How investment in staff wellbeing impacts manufacturing productivity
- 09/08/2018 - What’s driving the global demand for electronic components?
- 03/08/2018 - How engineering placements can address the UK manufacturing skills gap
- 23/07/2018 - How do manufacturers overcome growth challenges?
- 16/07/2018 - Is there an end in sight to the electronic components crisis?
- 10/07/2018 - Electronic component market review - July 2018
- 04/07/2018 - How a site visit can help you select the best electronics manufacturer
- 22/06/2018 - How to apply for a graduate scheme in manufacturing
- 24/05/2018 - How to secure a place on an electronics manufacturing graduate scheme
- 17/05/2018 - Plan your visit to the UK sub-contract manufacturing expo Subcon 2018
- 26/04/2018 - Industry 4.0 concerns
- 23/04/2018 - 5 ideas to enhance the induction process within manufacturing
- 16/04/2018 - How to assess top talent when recruiting for key manufacturing roles
- 11/04/2018 - Why Automated Optical Inspection is a must-have for PCB production
- 11/04/2018 - Have you got your outsourcing survival kit?
- 27/03/2018 - Are ineffective e-mails causing your manufacturing teams stress?
- 22/03/2018 - Drives & Controls 2018 - Tips to Planning Your Visit
- 27/02/2018 - The vital role of solder paste printing in New Product Introduction By Richard Barratt, 22 Feb, 2018
- 23/02/2018 - The Complete Guide to Outsourcing your Electronics Manufacturing
- 09/02/2018 - Should you outsource product design to an independent contractor?
- 22/01/2018 - simple ways to motivate your electronics manufacturing staff
- 22/01/2018 - Southern Manufacturing 2018: your eight-point guide to a great show
- 16/01/2018 - Is UK manufacturing ready for the fourth industrial revolution?
- 15/01/2018 - Why you want your EMS partner to be annoying and boring
- 08/01/2018 - How to select X-ray inspection equipment for electronics manufacturing
- 14/12/2017 - 9 ways to keep up with changes in manufacturing technology
- 05/12/2017 - Is your EMS provider “the one” for you?
- 17/11/2017 - Blockchain for manufacturing: what are the opportunities?
- 10/11/2017 - 5 simple elements to guarantee outsourcing success
- 03/11/2017 - What does an OEM really gain from outsourcing their manufacturing?
- 31/10/2017 - JJS to exhibit at Advanced Engineering 2017 1&2 November, NEC, Birmingham
- 24/10/2017 - Advanced Engineering 2017 - getting the most from your visit
- 24/10/2017 - Test solutions your EMS partner should offer
- 17/10/2017 - JJS to exhibit at the Engineering Design Show 2017
- 17/10/2017 - 8 factors a CEM should know about their suppliers
- 10/10/2017 - Current Market Conditions
- 10/10/2017 - Outsourcing Product Design
- 05/10/2017 - Engineering Design Show 2017 - planning your visit