Can dual sourcing or multi sourcing beat supply chain uncertainty?
14 September 2020
Dual sourcing_Supply ChainIt’s fair to say Coronavirus has been a wake up call for many companies relying on Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS) providers to supply their business. In the early stages of the crisis, as China was being locked down, it became clear to some that their supply of components could be compromised in many unexpected ways.
They were dependent not only on a single supplier whose work had stalled - but also on a vast hinterland of second and third-tier suppliers of which they had no previous knowledge, but who had also ground to a halt.
As Richard Wilding, Professor of Supply Chain Strategy at Cranfield University says in this article, Covid-19 ‘has been a test of risk management processes and resilience in supply chains’. And it’s a test that many organisations seem to have failed in the early throes of the Covid crisis.
It does seem like there had been complacency surrounding the security of the global supply chain that everyone from customers to corporate entities have been reliant on for so long. But who could really have foreseen or prevented the kind of shut down we experienced at the start of Covid and since?
Even the most extreme supply chain crises of the past 20 years could not prepare us for this. Not the disruption from the volcanic ash cloud in 2010, or the KFC logistics issues that led to a fried chicken shortage across the UK in 2018.
Dual sourcing or multi sourcing: what's the answer?
It’s easy to be flippant, of course, but as we’ve seen, the stakes for businesses when the international systems fail are incredibly high. So, what’s the answer? For some companies relying on EMS providers, the answer is to introduce policies of dual sourcing or even multiple sourcing of services to ensure greater protection from the failure of supplier services.
We’ve talked before about the pros and cons of single and dual sourcing, but investigating the prospect of dual or multiple sourcing seems a sensible move right now as global uncertainty continues to ramp up.
And luckily, with more agile digital tools available, maintaining and switching between multiple secure, supplier connections is no longer the costly, disruptive and time-consuming task it once was.
The flexibility to choose
Having the flexibility to switch at will between a number of supply options, then, might be seen as the ultimate insurance policy for companies dependent on complex international supply chains - and the ultimate bargaining chip to secure the services at the price you want to pay.
Here are just a few of the benefits companies can lever when they do so:
Dual sourcing or multiple sourcing through different regions can insulate you from the potential shock of natural disasters or geo-political events disrupting your business. You can switch partners when required to protect supplies as events unfold insulating your customers against fluctuations in price and availability
By introducing competition between suppliers you can continually shop for the best price between them
You can scale up and speed production by splitting your business and accessing services from multiple suppliers on demand
Spread the risk to maximise value?
Spreading the risk and managing your partners to maximise value and innovation is obviously a sensible approach for some. But there are unique benefits that can be derived from single sourcing
It might be simpler managing the digital switch between partners these days, but it’s still easier building and maintaining a strong, 'best value' relationship with one supplier rather than two or more.
The idea you can get the best price on production by splitting your business between multiple suppliers is not always the case. Businesses can often maximise volume leverage to achieve the most attracting pricing with a single supplier
No matter how agile you can be, streamlining and integrating systems with a single supplier is easier to achieve. Managing and optimising multiple systems for consistent quality can represent a significant challenge in time and resource.
With a single supplier relationship, you may be able to negotiate to receive small, frequent deliveries and so improve inventory control.
What’s the best approach for you?
Richard Wilding’s advice is that
“Companies should map and continually monitor for vulnerabilities in their supply chains in order to anticipate risks and threats and look to widen sourcing locations even if they involve higher unit costs.”
Which is sound advice, but he also reminds us of a fundamental truth:
“The reality is [a supply chain] is a bunch of collaborations involving people, technologies and natural phenomena, any element of which can have problems. We have come to expect high quality, convenience and good value wherever we are, but that comes at the price of great supply chain complexity.”
Building a strong relationship with a single supplier can answer key concerns about the provision of consistent and quality services over time. The right supplier should be open and transparent with you about their downstream partnerships and give you visibility about their plans to manage the risk of future disruption. This, in turn, will you help realistically judge the risk to your business.
High levels of trust, the strength of interpersonal relationships, and a proven track record of quality delivery can give you confidence that a supplier will always be working to protect you in an unpredictable international marketplace.
But in the end it’s up to each individual business to choose the approach that makes sense for them, given the risk to their business of the failure of their supply chain, the importance of consistent quality to their operations and their need to control costs.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 16/09/2020 - Bells and whistles? Additive manufacturing for PCB designs
- 12/08/2020 - Is the manufacturing industry ready for Generation Z?
- 05/08/2020 - Small problems? 4 challenges & opportunities in PCB development
- 03/08/2020 - How will manufacturing immortality affect the product life cycle?
- 19/07/2020 - How much have attitudes shifted towards women in engineering?
- 03/07/2020 - Why outsourcing is a strategic decision
- 02/07/2020 - Robotic process automation in the manufacturing supply chain
- 12/06/2020 - How can manufacturers ensure business continuity?
- 04/06/2020 - Should UK manufacturers expect a nationwide reshoring initiative?
- 04/06/2020 - What the manufacturing environment might look like as a result of COVID-19 in the medium term manufacturing post-COVID
- 03/06/2020 - Why planning for failure is key to successful electronic assembly
- 03/06/2020 - My journey from university student to commercial graduate
- 14/05/2020 - How to withstand disruptive change in electronics manufacturing
- 28/04/2020 - 3 ways electronics manufacturing is combating the skills gap
- 27/04/2020 - Are virtual exhibitions the answer for UK electronics manufacturers?
- 27/04/2020 - Electronic component market review April 2020
- 06/04/2020 - 5 ways to combat cyber risk in UK electronics manufacturing
- 12/03/2020 - How is COVID-19 impacting the electronics manufacturing supply chain?
- 05/03/2020 - How can digital twinning benefit electronics manufacturing?
- 28/02/2020 - Which factors matter most in your PCB supplier selection strategy?
- 25/02/2020 - Three must-see Industry 4.0 events for UK electronics manufacturers
- 17/02/2020 - Securing an engineering placement - the final steps
- 07/02/2020 - What can electronics manufacturers gain from value engineering?
- 23/01/2020 - How can PCB design engineers combat raw material supply challenges?
- 17/01/2020 - Electronic component market review January 2020
- 03/01/2020 - Five ways to ace your engineering placement application
- 19/12/2019 - Gerber or ODB++ - which is best for your PCB fabrication?
- 16/12/2019 - What will your EMS partner expect to see in your build pack?
- 09/12/2019 - How digital tools can aid your postponement manufacturing strategy
- 25/11/2019 - 8 predictions for electronics manufacturing in 2020
- 14/11/2019 - What impact could CNY 2020 have on UK electronics manufacturing?
- 07/11/2019 - Is additive manufacturing the right choice for your electronic assembly?
- 04/11/2019 - What are 5 of the biggest threats to the electronics manufacturing supply chain?
- 24/10/2019 - Electronics manufacturing market review October 2019
- 18/10/2019 - Is the Smart Factory a realistic goal for UK electronics manufacturers?
- 14/10/2019 - Can SMEs overcome the seismic shifts in UK electronics manufacturing?
- 03/10/2019 - Why are rare earth elements so crucial for electronics manufacturing?
- 27/09/2019 - Is your EMS partner up to speed with WEEE 'Open Scope'?
- 23/09/2019 - How long will it take to address the UK engineering skills gap?
- 12/09/2019 - Combating ESD: the silent assassin in electronics manufacturing
- 04/09/2019 - The rising threat of social engineering for electronics manufacturers
- 22/08/2019 - Are you prepared for changes to the Conflict Minerals Regulation?
- 15/08/2019 - How can electronics manufacturers protect against cyber attacks?
- 13/08/2019 - The 7 steps to selecting a new EMS partner
- 07/08/2019 - Unit cost or total cost of supply: which matters most for UK OEMS?
- 26/07/2019 - How is the OEM/EMS partnership evolving in electronics manufacturing?
- 26/07/2019 - Could outsourcing your electronics manufacturing be the key to growth?
- 15/07/2019 - UK Electronics manufacturing 2019 - which markets are on the up?
- 05/07/2019 - Electronics manufacturing market review July 2019
- 28/06/2019 - Which test is best for your PCBA assembly - ICT or Flying Probe?
- 27/06/2019 - The 4 things every electronics manufacturer needs to know about test
- 19/06/2019 - Is digitalisation the key to the future of electronics manufacturing?
- 12/06/2019 - Is it worth keeping your electronics manufacturing in the UK?
- 30/05/2019 - What are the key questions to ask when auditing a new EMS partner?
- 23/05/2019 - 4 ways electronics manufacturers are growing their businesses in 2019
- 22/05/2019 - JJS Manufacturing returns to Subcon 2019
- 17/05/2019 - Looking to outsource to an EMS partner? Then don't miss Subcon 2019
- 09/05/2019 - What should a New Product Introduction (NPI) report look like?
- 03/05/2019 - What key questions should your EMS partner be asking in the supplier selection process?
- 29/04/2019 - How can electronics manufacturers reduce their environmental impact?
- 26/04/2019 - 8 predictions for UK electronics manufacturing in 2019
- 11/04/2019 - Electronic component market review - April 2019
- 10/04/2019 - Which IPC-A-610 class is best for your printed circuit board assembly?
- 04/04/2019 - Degree or apprenticeship – how I combined the best of both worlds
- 22/03/2019 - The hidden materials handling costs every OEM should be aware of
- 22/03/2019 - How to attract the best new electronics manufacturing talent
- 08/03/2019 - How can OEMs ensure quality supply chain management?
- 14/02/2019 - 4 ways to instantly improve the efficiency of your PCBA production
- 08/02/2019 - Industrial placements - is a sandwich year a good idea?
- 04/02/2019 - Careers for women in engineering - dispelling the myths
- 25/01/2019 - What to expect when you outsource your electronics manufacturing
- 25/01/2019 - Electronic component market review - January 2019
- 25/01/2019 - Southern Manufacturing and Electronics Exhibition
- 10/01/2019 - Six top tips to finding the right engineering degree
- 04/01/2019 - Can your EMS partner mitigate against out-of-the-box failures?
- 21/12/2018 - Three must-see UK electronics manufacturing trade shows for 2019
- 20/12/2018 - How to avoid supply chain disruption this Chinese New Year
- 20/12/2018 - Engineering placements: how to find the scheme that’s right for you
- 28/11/2018 - Manufacturers, just how effective is your induction process?
- 12/11/2018 - 4 questions OEMs typically ask when outsourcing
- 26/10/2018 - How to measure employee engagement within manufacturing
- 22/10/2018 - What to see and do at the 2018 National Graduate Recruitment Fair
- 17/10/2018 - What next - engineering apprenticeship or university degree?
- 15/10/2018 - Electronic component market review - October 2018
- 02/10/2018 - Annual EEF fact card shows solid growth for UK manufacturing
- 21/09/2018 - The Engineering Design Show 2018 - everything you need to know
- 21/09/2018 - The no-nonsense guide to Lean Manufacturing terms
- 18/09/2018 - What do SMT component shortages mean for design and manufacturing engineers
- 14/09/2018 - Looking under the hood of multi-layer ceramic capacitors (MLCCs)
- 06/09/2018 - Why ‘riding out’ the electronic components crisis is no longer an option
- 23/08/2018 - The impact of industry regulations on your manufacturing supply chain
- 20/08/2018 - How investment in staff wellbeing impacts manufacturing productivity
- 09/08/2018 - What’s driving the global demand for electronic components?
- 03/08/2018 - How engineering placements can address the UK manufacturing skills gap
- 23/07/2018 - How do manufacturers overcome growth challenges?
- 16/07/2018 - Is there an end in sight to the electronic components crisis?
- 10/07/2018 - Electronic component market review - July 2018
- 04/07/2018 - How a site visit can help you select the best electronics manufacturer
- 22/06/2018 - How to apply for a graduate scheme in manufacturing
- 24/05/2018 - How to secure a place on an electronics manufacturing graduate scheme
- 17/05/2018 - Plan your visit to the UK sub-contract manufacturing expo Subcon 2018
- 26/04/2018 - Industry 4.0 concerns
- 23/04/2018 - 5 ideas to enhance the induction process within manufacturing
- 16/04/2018 - How to assess top talent when recruiting for key manufacturing roles
- 11/04/2018 - Why Automated Optical Inspection is a must-have for PCB production
- 11/04/2018 - Have you got your outsourcing survival kit?
- 27/03/2018 - Are ineffective e-mails causing your manufacturing teams stress?
- 22/03/2018 - Drives & Controls 2018 - Tips to Planning Your Visit
- 27/02/2018 - The vital role of solder paste printing in New Product Introduction By Richard Barratt, 22 Feb, 2018
- 23/02/2018 - The Complete Guide to Outsourcing your Electronics Manufacturing
- 09/02/2018 - Should you outsource product design to an independent contractor?
- 22/01/2018 - simple ways to motivate your electronics manufacturing staff
- 22/01/2018 - Southern Manufacturing 2018: your eight-point guide to a great show
- 16/01/2018 - Is UK manufacturing ready for the fourth industrial revolution?
- 15/01/2018 - Why you want your EMS partner to be annoying and boring
- 08/01/2018 - How to select X-ray inspection equipment for electronics manufacturing
- 14/12/2017 - 9 ways to keep up with changes in manufacturing technology
- 05/12/2017 - Is your EMS provider “the one” for you?
- 17/11/2017 - Blockchain for manufacturing: what are the opportunities?
- 10/11/2017 - 5 simple elements to guarantee outsourcing success
- 03/11/2017 - What does an OEM really gain from outsourcing their manufacturing?
- 31/10/2017 - JJS to exhibit at Advanced Engineering 2017 1&2 November, NEC, Birmingham
- 24/10/2017 - Advanced Engineering 2017 - getting the most from your visit
- 24/10/2017 - Test solutions your EMS partner should offer
- 17/10/2017 - JJS to exhibit at the Engineering Design Show 2017
- 17/10/2017 - 8 factors a CEM should know about their suppliers
- 10/10/2017 - Current Market Conditions
- 10/10/2017 - Outsourcing Product Design
- 05/10/2017 - Engineering Design Show 2017 - planning your visit