Evac+Chair International to represent UK manufacturing excellence at Science Museum
24 April 2012
Birmingham-based, Evac+Chair International, has been selected to take part in an exhibition demonstrating the very best of British manufacturing this summer, alongside some of the biggest names in UK manufacturing excellence.Beating competition from hundreds of companies, Evac+Chair International based in Tyseley, Birmingham will feature in the Government’s Make it in Great Britain exhibition alongside Jaguar Land Rover, Rolls Royce and BAE Systems. The exhibition will take place at the Science Museum, London during the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The exhibition is the culmination of the Make it in Great Britain campaign - an initiative launched last year by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills which aims to challenge outdated opinions and transform the image of modern manufacturing.
Evac+Chair is the original manufacturer and the world’s leading supplier of evacuation chairs, designed to allow people who are mobility impaired to safely descend staircases in the event of an emergency, without the need for lifting or great physical strength. The company employs more than 70 people and from its manufacturing base in the heart of Birmingham it produces and distributes more than 7,500 units per year to customers in the UK and more than 30 countries including the USA, Japan, India, New Zealand and South Africa.
Barry Scholes founded Evac+Chair International in 1989. He still works for the company as finance director. He said:
“We are delighted that we are going to be a part of the Make it in Great Britain exhibition, and as a relatively small manufacturing business, we feel very proud to be selected alongside the giants of British manufacturing. It is a fantastic opportunity to showcase UK innovation especially at a time when all eyes will be on the UK is a wonderful thing.
“We are looking forward to helping to show the general public what the manufacturing industry is really all about, and we hope that lots of people from the Midlands will come to the exhibition to support us.”
The opportunity to showcase in the exhibition was open to manufacturing companies nationwide, with organisers keen to raise awareness about the dynamic, advanced and innovative industry that exists in the UK today.
Business Minister Mark Prisk said:
“Manufacturing accounts for 8 per cent of total UK employment and well over half of export goods, yet current perceptions of the industry are out of date and do not reflect that reality. We have selected a really exciting mix of exhibits, and I hope that as many people as possible visit the exhibition and see all of the great examples of British design and manufacturing – it will be spectacular.”
Ian Blatchford, Director of the Science Museum commented:
“We’re incredibly excited to be hosting the Make it in Great Britain exhibition this summer. The Science Museum and its world leading collections demonstrate some of the greatest engineering achievements of the last 200 years. We hope that as many people as possible visit the exhibition, and see at first-hand how innovation in British manufacturing is still thriving today.”
The exhibition will be open from 24 July to 9 September, and is free to visit.
For more information please visit www.bis.gov.uk/makeitingreatbritain.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 18/12/2015 - Last Call for Christmas Evacuation Chair Rentals
- 27/11/2015 - Reserve Your Evacuation Chair for Rent over the Christmas Period Now
- 29/10/2015 - Evacuation Chair for Corporate Events
- 19/08/2015 - Evac+Chair International to exhibit at the Hotel Show in Dubai
- 14/07/2015 - The evacuation chair especially for wheelchair users
- 06/05/2015 - Evac+Chair International wins award at 2015 The Health & Safety Event
- 06/05/2015 - Evac+Chair International and Sigma Fire & Security on show in Dubai
- 06/10/2014 - Evac+Chair wins award for best new exhibitor stand at Safety in Action Sydney, Australia.
- 11/08/2014 - Birmingham receives its second public access defibrillator thanks to Evac+Chair International Ltd and St John Ambulance
- 27/06/2014 - Evac+Chair International announce new division – Sigma Fire & Security
- 29/05/2014 - Evac+Chair International donate a heart-warming gift to a Community Centre in Middlewich
- 22/05/2014 - Fire Stations in Shanghai train to use the Evac+Chair
- 02/05/2014 - Evac+Chair donate a heart-warming gift to St John Ambulance
- 10/02/2014 - Evac+Chair donate a life saving device to a charity
- 11/10/2012 - William Harvey Hospital plays it safe with ParAid Medical
- 09/10/2012 - Wales Air Ambulance suited in style with ParAid Medical
- 05/09/2012 - Disabled Workers could be left stranded in emergencies, according to research by Evac Chair International
- 09/08/2012 - Exceptional export growth for Evac+Chair International
- 24/07/2012 - Evac+Chair International stars in Science Museum exhibition, which opens doors today
- 24/04/2012 - The changing landscape of evacuation plans
- 24/04/2012 - O2 Academy Music Group nationwide sings a safe tune
- 24/04/2012 - Forth Valley College achieves safety with distinction
- 12/09/2011 - Newborn neo-restraints ensure safe transfer to Birmingham Women’s Hospital
- 10/08/2011 - Emergency stairway evacuation chairs
- 27/06/2011 - Global distribution expands to Malta as exports are up for Evac+Chair International
- 04/05/2011 - UK obesity increase prompts new design of Evac+Chair
- 07/12/2010 - New appointments support Evac+Chair in Scotland
- 05/10/2010 - Evac+Chair International achieves highest quality standard
- 14/09/2010 - Cotswold Outdoor ensure safe descent for customers in store
- 13/09/2010 - Evac+Chair International and DM Wood Medical join forces at Health and Safety 10
- 13/09/2010 - Bristol Water improves health & safety with Evac+Chair
- 12/09/2010 - Businesses must make time to train and practise
- 07/07/2010 - Evac+Chair International’s New Home of Luxury
- 21/04/2010 - Birmingham Royal Ballet turns to Evac+Chair International
- 20/04/2010 - MEP highlights innovation and quality as the future for Midlands manufacturing
- 20/04/2010 - Safe escape for Royal Latin School pupils
- 20/04/2010 - Evac+Chair International look forward to Safety & Health Expo
- 11/11/2009 - Evac+Chairs' big screen success with Odeon Group
- 19/10/2009 - Setrvicare® Manager appointed at Evac+Chair
- 01/09/2009 - Evac+Chair is a lifesaving investment for new community Hospital
- 31/07/2009 - Evac+Chair Emergency Escape keeps Worcestershire NHS up to date
- 07/05/2009 - Primary Care Trust ensures safe evacuation for all
- 19/03/2009 - Award winning senior living homes use Evac+Chair
- 20/02/2009 - Twickenham wins with Evac+Chair
- 22/01/2009 - Complete escape soluton for Leeds City Museum
- 16/12/2008 - The Stairway Evacuation Chair that Speaks your Language
- 04/08/2008 - Big Brands install Innovative Disable Evacuation
- 21/05/2008 - Leading health club fit for evacuation
- 21/05/2008 - Management buyout at Evac+Chair International