Selectaglaze Helps The Ages to Work Together
20 September 2012
Built on the site of the former Lewisham Bridge Primary School, the new Prendergast Vale College has opened for the start of the 2012/2013 academic year.The College is intended for all ages, from nursery though to age 16, with a capacity of 835 made up of 25 full-time nursery, 210 primary and 600 secondary pupils.
The complex consists of 6 separate units designed to facilitate the integration from nursery through primary to secondary whilst providing separate and secure spaces both inside and outside.
The original school building which received Grade II Listing “as an outstanding example of Edwardian school architecture”, with English Heritage particularly praising its interior, has been carefully incorporated into the overall design and now provides the College’s imposing main entrance, Reception, Library, Art Department and Sculpture Garden, linking seamlessly with its contemporary surroundings.
The building needed sympathetic refurbishment and adaptation for the present day and the imposing single glazed windows presented a significant challenge for the College’s energy efficiency targets. As secondary glazing is a reversible adaptation acceptable to heritage bodies and can markedly improve window insulation levels, HKR Architects together with main contractor Costain’s sub-contractor Lucas Fit Out, consulted with Selectaglaze, the UK’s leading designer and manufacturer of secondary glazing systems. Selectaglaze proposed a range of treatments that complemented the designs of the existing windows whilst providing access for ventilation and cleaning. Low emissivity glass was recommended as it can reduce heat loss through traditional windows by up to 60%. High performance seals were also recommended in order to markedly reduce drafts.
Selectaglaze installed nearly 200 secondary windows, mostly vertical sash, some with arched heads. All were finished in white powder paint.
An additional bonus from the installation of secondary windows is the high levels of noise insulation, typically 40-45dB. The large airy rooms now provide a comfortable, draft-free, quiet environment, conducive to learning.
Founded in 1966, Royal Warrant holder Selectaglaze has developed a wide range of secondary windows for Acoustics, Energy Performance and Security. Copies of the company’s Product Guide and Guidance Notes are free upon request from the Marketing Department on 01727 837271 or via the company’s comprehensive website:
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 01/08/2014 - Supreme Energy Efficiency For County Hall
- 10/07/2014 - All quiet at St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School
- 20/06/2014 - Selectaglaze at the V&A
- 22/05/2014 - The Hallé Orchestra – Silenced by Selectaglaze!
- 15/05/2014 - Selectaglaze helps keep ‘Silence in the Library’
- 06/03/2014 - Selectaglaze on track
- 20/02/2014 - A Winning Performance in the “Golden Mile” – GREAT WEST HOUSE, BRENTFORD
- 18/02/2014 - A Feast For The Eyes
- 10/02/2014 - Selectaglaze - The sECOndary Glazing Specialist
- 07/02/2014 - Selectaglaze - The sECOndary Glazing Specialist
- 08/10/2013 - A Warmer Holme for Jordan’s Mills – Courtesy of Selectaglaze
- 23/09/2013 - English Heritage at the Engine House, Swindon - Selectaglaze Awarded Return Ticket
- 19/07/2013 - Stylish Secondary Glazing from Selectaglaze
- 29/05/2013 - Selectaglaze at The Coronation Festival, Buckingham Palace - 11th – 14th July 2013
- 17/05/2013 - University of Arts London – Student Accommodation at Camberwell Campus
- 30/04/2013 - CPD and Networking Opportunity
- 11/04/2013 - CPD At The Building Centre
- 19/02/2013 - Guidance literature for energy saving in Period Buildings
- 06/02/2013 - Selectaglaze at Radcliffe Infirmary
- 29/01/2013 - Contemporary Comfort in Listed Property
- 04/12/2012 - Making a Noise about Noise
- 15/11/2012 - Tate Liverpool
- 05/09/2012 - "Super Luxury" at Grosvenor House Apartments
- 23/07/2012 - CPD Update oF Selectaglaze's “Understanding and Specifying Secondary Glazing”
- 23/07/2012 - Selectaglaze assists with ground breaking housing scheme for disabled people
- 23/07/2012 - Selectaglaze Help put the "Green" in the UK-GBC
- 23/07/2012 - The silent treatment for award winning eco-friendly library