15 November 2012
Tate Liverpool is the home of the national collection of modern and contemporary art in the North of England.Attracting more than 12 million visitors since opening in 1988, Tate Liverpool is one of the most visited UK galleries outside London. The gallery is housed within a five storey Grade I Listed warehouse, converted by architect James Stirling, in the historic Albert Dock on the city’s World Heritage waterfront.
Tate Liverpool’s commitment to sustainability has recently seen improvements to the gallery’s conferencing areas on the fourth floor and the fourth floor galleries which host special exhibitions and displays year-round. As part of their brief, Building Surveyors Drivers Jonas Deloitte needed to ensure that the gallery’s environmental conditions were optimised to protect the works of art on display. The large traditional single glazed windows overlooking the docks capture light throughout the day and so offer superb viewing conditions but also need to provide the required environmental conditions for the display of art works. To help find a solution, Drivers Jonas Deloitte consulted with the UK’s leading secondary glazing specialist, Selectaglaze and the company’s local partner, Fenestral. With a wealth of experience within Listed and historic buildings Selectaglaze and Fenestral were uniquely placed to understand the very special nature of Tate Liverpool’s requirements.
Following trials the preferred solution was a pair of white powder painted hinged casements arched to follow the window line. With flush hinges, white gaskets and concealed locking the frames provide minimalist lines. Tate Liverpool requested special protection against damaging UV light, which was achieved with 6.8mm clear laminated glass together with an additional specialist UV film. Multipoint locking and high compression seals ensure tight seals and so help maintain temperature and humidity within the gallery. The hinged panels allow easy access for cleaning and maintenance. After a full assessment by Tate Liverpool staff who supervised the process, the work was undertaken outside gallery opening hours and caused no disruption to the art work on display.
Founded in 1966, Royal Warrant holder Selectaglaze has gained a reputation as a leading secondary glazing specialist offering high performance noise insulation, improved building energy performance, environmental control and certified security. Fenestral has 20 years’ experience in the maintenance and refurbishment of window systems and also offers professional consultancy and a range of specialist window products. Fenestral has partnered Selectaglaze for over 15 years.
Selectaglaze Guidance Notes and comprehensive Product Guide are free upon request to the Marketing Department on 01727 837271 or via the company’s website:
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 01/08/2014 - Supreme Energy Efficiency For County Hall
- 10/07/2014 - All quiet at St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School
- 20/06/2014 - Selectaglaze at the V&A
- 22/05/2014 - The Hallé Orchestra – Silenced by Selectaglaze!
- 15/05/2014 - Selectaglaze helps keep ‘Silence in the Library’
- 06/03/2014 - Selectaglaze on track
- 20/02/2014 - A Winning Performance in the “Golden Mile” – GREAT WEST HOUSE, BRENTFORD
- 18/02/2014 - A Feast For The Eyes
- 10/02/2014 - Selectaglaze - The sECOndary Glazing Specialist
- 07/02/2014 - Selectaglaze - The sECOndary Glazing Specialist
- 08/10/2013 - A Warmer Holme for Jordan’s Mills – Courtesy of Selectaglaze
- 23/09/2013 - English Heritage at the Engine House, Swindon - Selectaglaze Awarded Return Ticket
- 19/07/2013 - Stylish Secondary Glazing from Selectaglaze
- 29/05/2013 - Selectaglaze at The Coronation Festival, Buckingham Palace - 11th – 14th July 2013
- 17/05/2013 - University of Arts London – Student Accommodation at Camberwell Campus
- 30/04/2013 - CPD and Networking Opportunity
- 11/04/2013 - CPD At The Building Centre
- 19/02/2013 - Guidance literature for energy saving in Period Buildings
- 06/02/2013 - Selectaglaze at Radcliffe Infirmary
- 29/01/2013 - Contemporary Comfort in Listed Property
- 04/12/2012 - Making a Noise about Noise
- 20/09/2012 - Selectaglaze Helps The Ages to Work Together
- 05/09/2012 - "Super Luxury" at Grosvenor House Apartments
- 23/07/2012 - CPD Update oF Selectaglaze's “Understanding and Specifying Secondary Glazing”
- 23/07/2012 - Selectaglaze assists with ground breaking housing scheme for disabled people
- 23/07/2012 - Selectaglaze Help put the "Green" in the UK-GBC
- 23/07/2012 - The silent treatment for award winning eco-friendly library