Humidity matters at Jersey air traffic control
17 December 2015
Jersey Air Traffic Control has recently installed four Condair steam humidifiers at its centre in Jersey Airport, which is responsible for the coordination of air traffic in the busy skies above the Channel Islands.Air traffic control is a demanding role, with aircraft and passenger safety its primary goal, and the humidifiers help provide a comfortable and productive environment for air traffic controllers and engineering staff by combatting the visual discomfort created by dry air.
The Channel Islands are popular destinations for commercial airlines and private aircraft pilots alike, and high volumes of air traffic pass through its air space. In 2014, there were over 100,000 aircraft departures and arrivals at the three airports of Jersey, Guernsey and Alderney, and almost 2.5M travellers passed in and out of them. The Condair humidifiers serve the iconic Control Tower, which controls the flight arrivals and departures from Jersey Airport itself, and areas in the air Traffic Control Centre, both of which were built in 2010 to accommodate the increasing attraction of flying to and from the islands.
Air traffic control in the Channel Islands is a highly responsible role. It has a high visual and mental workload, using purpose-designed interactive screens as essential tools, frequent interaction with aircrew and important decisions being made. Shift work, early starts and late finishes can also have an effect. Les Smallwood, Senior Air Traffic Control Officer at the centre, explains, “The human element is important. In a job where errors could be critical, an environment that is comfortable and considers people’s well-being also supports their working needs. The humidifiers are a part of this.”
The need for humidification first became apparent amongst staff wearing contact lenses. Les Smallwood continues, “We use air conditioning to maintain an environment of 21°C but this was drying the air. People’s eyes were becoming uncomfortable, especially for those wearing contact lenses. We used mobile humidifiers at first, to prove the point, before investing in a permanent solution with the Condair humidifiers”. Les confirms that air traffic control staff and the airport’s building services team are pleased with the results.
The largest capacity humidifier, a 30kg/h resistive steam humidifier, supplies the air handling system for the first floor of the Air Traffic Control Centre, which includes air traffic control offices and rest areas, to maintain around 50%RH. Three Condair CP3 Mini in-room humidifiers are used to do the same in the Control Tower itself and in the Air Traffic Engineering offices, whose staff are responsible for the good operation of radar, navaids, electronic equipment and associated services.
Condair resistive steam humidifiers feature a unique scale collection tank for easy and straightforward maintenance. The Condair CP3 Mini units are compact and discreetly-designed electrode boiler humidifiers, wall-mounted in the areas concerned to deliver up to 4kg/h of pure steam directly into the space. Routine maintenance is quick and kept simple by the easily exchanged boiling cylinders.
Jersey Health and Safety Inspectorate’s Display Screen Equipment at Work ACoP, confirms the importance of maintaining of a level of relative humidity that is adequate to prevent the discomfort and sore eyes that are characteristically associated with dry air, as part of an ergonomically-optimised working environment. This echoes the same guidance given in the UK Health & Safety Executive’s DSE ACoP and other European directives.
Dry air can be caused by air conditioning and also arises during cooler winter months when indoor relative humidity drops as it is heated. Even in a mild and agreeable climate like Jersey’s, it can be a particular problem for computer screen users, as the air around a screen can be drier and more prone to electrostatic effects than its surroundings, due to the increased temperature locally. Humidifiers effectively address these issues.
Maintaining a relative humidity of 40-60% has also been shown to reduce susceptibility to infection by preventing the drying of the moist lining of the mouth, throat and nose, and airborne viruses have been shown to survive for a shorter time at this level. Conveniently, the level of relative humidity that suits people’s health also provides the ideal environment for IT systems and electronic equipment.
Condair group is the world’s leading specialist in humidification and evaporative cooling, with energy efficient, hygienic and innovative technologies for commercial, industrial and heritage applications. Condair is represented in the UK by Condair plc, which offers humidification system design, manufacture, supply, installation, commissioning, maintenance and spares. Condair plc is the new name for JS Humidifiers following the organisation’s rebranding in October 2014. You can find out more by visiting the company’s website at www.condair.co.uk.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 19/10/2020 - Condair expands service team in the north
- 07/08/2020 - Condair appoints new service engineer in Scotland
- 06/08/2020 - Ashrae humidity guidelines for reopening schools & unis
- 05/08/2020 - New small and efficient humidifier from condair
- 03/06/2020 - Condair supports who humidity petition
- 03/06/2020 - New Condiar condensing gas-fired humidifier
- 14/05/2020 - Scientists call on the World Health Organization (WHO) to review the link between humidity and respiratory health in wake of COVID-19
- 23/03/2020 - New Condair Sales Manager
- 04/03/2020 - UK's Indoor air is not coronavirus ready
- 17/01/2020 - Humidity keeps the spiders healthy at London Zoo
- 12/11/2019 - Condair configure - New humidifier selection tool
- 27/06/2019 - Dry air is flu's best friend
- 24/04/2019 - Condair expands dehumidifier range
- 22/03/2019 - Condiar achieved workplace wellbeing charter
- 07/02/2019 - Condair at Data Centre World 2019
- 23/01/2019 - Tony Fleming appointed Condiar's new head of sales cluster northern europe
- 11/01/2019 - Condair Humidifiers at the National Army Museum
- 20/12/2018 - New outdoor steam humidifiers from Condair
- 11/10/2018 - New dehumidifier sales manager at Condair
- 23/08/2018 - New humidification CPD seminar for FMS
- 07/02/2018 - Condiar at Data Centre World 2018
- 24/01/2018 - Condair launches "Humidity Fights Flu" campaign
- 16/01/2018 - New Condair Ro for better humidity Control
- 04/08/2017 - Condair jetspray humidifies at Fujifilm
- 03/07/2017 - Condair opens new Hamburg factory
- 14/06/2017 - Condair service team expansion
- 22/05/2017 - New Dehumidifier range from Condair
- 24/02/2017 - New close control adiabatic humidifier
- 12/01/2017 - Evaporative cooling app from Condair
- 13/04/2016 - Condair humidifies drupa halls
- 01/02/2016 - New Condair Electrode Steam Humidifier
- 12/08/2015 - Condair Humidifies Polestar Sheffield
- 19/05/2015 - New Condair RS Steam Humidifier
- 06/05/2015 - Wellcome Trust Condair HP Humidifier
- 05/03/2015 - Humidification on Ice
- 12/12/2014 - New online Humidifer Selector
- 06/10/2014 - CONDAIR- the new name for JS Humidifiers
- 18/09/2014 - JS Humidifiers introduce Condair ME Evaporative Humidifier
- 15/05/2014 - Humidifying Facebook
- 25/04/2014 - Rolling Road Humidification at Jaguar Land Rover
- 07/01/2013 - Condair Launch 3D Bim Humidifier Models
- 22/05/2012 - New In-Room Spray Humidifier
- 22/03/2012 - New Condair CP3 From JS Humidifiers
- 16/02/2012 - Js Humidifiers keeps hops tip top at Timothy Taylor Brewery
- 25/10/2011 - JS Humidifiers achieves Bronze Investors in people
- 22/09/2011 - JS Competes in Little Britain
- 13/09/2011 - Condair MK5 from JS Humidifiers
- 12/08/2010 - DARREN BRYANT JOINS JS HUMIDIFIERS
- 16/06/2010 - NEW STEAM-TO-STEAM HUMIDIFIER
- 25/03/2010 - Humidifying bugs at ZSL London Zoo
- 30/12/2009 - JS humidifies leading Data Centre
- 21/10/2009 - Armouries Museum and Firearms Centre keep cool with JS
- 02/07/2009 - Please breath responsibly
- 01/07/2009 - JS humidifies snake rooms
- 23/04/2009 - Accreditation first for JS Humidifiers
- 20/02/2009 - Air handling units steam up with JS Humidifiers
- 13/11/2008 - The Jetspray Humidifier Gets an Upgrade
- 06/11/2008 - The Evaporative Humidifier is Launched
- 03/11/2008 - Installing Humidifers and Making a Profit
- 31/10/2008 - Free Legionnaire’s Disease Inspections
- 30/10/2008 - Humidifiers with Tiny Footprints