Archiving the deceased
09 July 2009
Council burial records finally going digital.
Councils all over the country have offices which contain burial and cemetery records for each person buried in public cemeteries. These records have been gathering up massively over time and some cemetery offices are now pushed for space because of the huge backlog of stored records.
When it comes to locating one burial record it is rarely found instantly even with the best filing systems. Most cemetery offices will still hold records in the dated microfilm, microfiche or paper document format which can prove time consuming to manage. As a result many Councils have already completed or are in the process of having all of these records scanned electronically archived on to computer to use as a records database.
Council archives in Manchester and Cheshire have recently put this process in place by having their backlogged burial records scanned and electronically archived and they now simply enter any burial information on to their computers as they come in, this keeps the paper files and old microfilm/fiche out of the loop as well as freeing up valuable office space.
Pearl Scan offer scanning of a range of media such as microfiche, microfilm, documents of any size, bound registers, newspapers, publications and any form of hard copy documentation. Having already worked with numerous councils and libraries to arrange this type of work. Pearl Scans' official ISO 9001:2000 accreditation means that document scanning services are audited externally.
Normally a procedure such as this would involve a collection of the records from the clients' location no matter what condition they are in. They are then take to the high-tech bureau and scanned in using the latest edition scanners. These scanned files are checked through quality control and indexed in whatever format is required e.g. by name, address, date of birth etc. Once they are all compiled into searchable electronic files the CDs are returned with the records on along with free file retrieval software for ease of searching.
Councils are being warned through data protection not to fall too far behind with record keeping, This is now becoming more a matter of ‘when’ will they be digitised rather than ‘if’.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 17/11/2011 - 3 Reasons Why You Should Convert Your Book to eBook
- 27/10/2011 - 3 Myths That Stop Companies From Adopting Digital Document Management
- 25/10/2011 - Save Valuable Space in the Office Using a Document Scanning Service
- 13/10/2011 - Could You Benefit Further From Digital Document Archiving?
- 06/10/2011 - Document Scanning or Document Storage - What Would Benefit My Business More?
- 06/10/2011 - Improve The Security Of Your Files Using Document Scanning
- 19/09/2011 - Take Cloud Hosting Your Documents To The Next Level Using Document Management and Scanning Services
- 06/09/2011 - Document Scanning in Business Reaps Major Benefits for Companies
- 05/09/2011 - Convert Your Books to Kindle
- 05/09/2011 - Business Is a Riot: The Importance of Backing Up and Being Sure
- 10/08/2011 - How Document Scanning Can Help Your Business, Whether You're Big or Small
- 03/08/2011 - Document Scanning Services - Reducing The Risk of Document Loss Every Day
- 02/08/2011 - Digital Leads In Breaking News - Popularity of Digital Newspapers Soars
- 01/08/2011 - From The Cupboard to the Cloud. Where next for document management?
- 13/07/2011 - Modernising The Old - Choosing The Right Book Scanning Company
- 11/07/2011 - The BBC, Moleskine, American Airlines…They’re All Doing It…Why Don’t You?
- 29/06/2011 - How Far Away Are We From The Paperless Office?
- 20/06/2011 - 4 Simple Ways to Improve Your Records Management
- 08/06/2011 - Pearl Scan Bring In New Business Development Manager
- 08/06/2011 - Is the End Night for Paper In Business?
- 31/05/2011 - Aperture Card Scanning
- 25/05/2011 - Find Out More About What People Think About Your Business Than Ever Before
- 03/05/2011 - All Tapped Out – The End of Typewriter Production As Last Typewriter Firm Closes It’s Doors
- 19/04/2011 - Document Storage – Go Digital and Save Thousands
- 18/04/2011 - Everything you need to know about Data Capture
- 05/04/2011 - Electronic Document Management – Why It’s The Future Of Business
- 28/03/2011 - Document Scanning – How Document Scanning Can Help Your Efficiency
- 28/03/2011 - The Paperless Office – Is the future of the office finally here?
- 23/03/2011 - Pearl Scan Upgrade Their Book Scanner for Improved Book, Magazine and Comic Scanning!
- 19/05/2010 - Purchase invoice scanning making an impact
- 23/02/2010 - London offices digitising Microfilm and Microfiche
- 25/01/2010 - Book scanning making learning more convenient
- 12/01/2010 - New Year & new decade means fresh start in offices
- 18/12/2009 - The Secret to saving thousands of pounds around the office annually
- 04/11/2009 - Autumn brightens up with Pearl Scan offers
- 28/08/2009 - Pearl Scan OCR is changing the face of hard copy documents
- 19/08/2009 - Money down the drain still rife amid recession
- 17/08/2009 - Photograph and slide scanning helping to keep archived photographs in use
- 24/07/2009 - Electronic Document Management Systems save space, time and money
- 20/07/2009 - Electronic Training courses - changing the way our society learns
- 12/12/2008 - Document Scanning and Microsoft Sharepoint Improving Businesses
- 06/11/2008 - Electronic purchase invoices save time and money
- 04/11/2008 - Legal e-Bible still helping Solicitors
- 22/10/2008 - The 'Credit Crunch' gets Archived by Scanning Company