Counting Scales and Checkweighers imporve Processes
15 July 2010
The Austrian metal fittings company, Blum is investing heavily in a programme of continuous improvement for its processes.Part of the drive towards improving processes involves counting and checkweighers scales from METTLER TOLEDO.
These devices are helping Blum to increase operational efficiency, avoid incorrect deliveries, and eliminate the costs associated with overfilling.
Based in Vorarlberg, Blum's success story began more than 50 years ago. Today, Blum is a global player, having made its name as a manufacturer of kitchen-based hinge, lift, and pull-out systems. Blum focuses on products and services that simplify day-to-day tasks for its customers.
When it comes to manually picking orders for metal fittings, it is crucial that customer orders are put together accurately. Customers should receive nothing more or less than the products they have ordered.
This is where Blum relies on scales from METTLER TOLEDO. The first scale checks whether the right number of metal fittings have been picked for the order. This involves the colorWeight® display of the IND449check+ scale terminal responding to underfilling or overfilling as follows: if products are underfilled or overfilled, Blum’s display lights up red.
Once the target weight is achieved, the display changes colour to grey. In the next operating step, the picked product is sealed and packaged into shipping cartons. At this stage, the second scale counts the packs to ensure the right number is sent with each carton. As soon as the carton contains the right number, the backlighting of the IND449check+ terminal display changes to green.
An investment in process improvement
Johann Schmidinger, Quality Control Manager at Blum, has his own views on this investment in process improvement: "As far as we're concerned, the benefits of investing in METTLER TOLEDO checkweighers and counting scales are threefold. Firstly, costs incurred from overfilling can be significantly reduced; secondly, incorrect deliveries can be prevented; and thirdly, the operational efficiency of users can be maximised."
The scales can be operated intuitively and thus greatly reduce the amount of work involved. Operators no longer need to stare at illegible digits, but can tell at a glance whether the target value has been achieved. This increases the efficiency of costly manual labour.
Completeness checks with colorWeight®
Find out how you too can increase operational efficiency whilst eliminating the costs associated with overfilling, with the free online value calculator click on the link to find out more www.mt.com/ind-colorweight-calculator
ABOUT METTLER TOLEDO UK
METTLER TOLEDO is the leading supplier of quality weighing and measuring solutions. The organisation is the world’s largest manufacturer of weighing technologies for use in laboratory, industrial and food retailing environments.
METTLER TOLEDO also holds key market positions for various analytical instruments and is a principal provider of automated chemistry systems, used in the discovery and development of new drugs and chemical compounds. In addition, METTLER TOLEDO is also the world’s largest manufacturer of metal detection and X-ray product inspection technologies, for use in the production and packaging sectors.
The business maintains a premier position in many in many in-line process monitoring applications.
From its headquarters in Leicester, METTLER TOLEDO offers product, technical and application expertise as well as comprehensive service, support and calibration capabilities.
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 04/04/2012 - Verify your moisture analyser in minutes!
- 04/04/2012 - Discover how to Increase Productivity by Meeting BRC Standards
- 06/07/2010 - Green Weigh to Recycle your Weighbridge
- 06/07/2010 - METTLER TOLEDO Develops Ultra Compact High Precision Weigh Module
- 28/04/2010 - Avoid Wastage with Lean Manufacturing Solutions
- 17/03/2010 - Good Weighing Practice
- 22/02/2010 - Mettlers' X-Ray demo van takes to the road
- 22/02/2010 - New X-Ray Combi version from Mettler
- 18/02/2010 - Mettler help maximise production efficiency and ensure compliance
- 17/02/2010 - Mettlers' one-stop-shop for innovative weighing & measuring solutions
- 29/01/2010 - Mettler help avoid non-compliance while maximising production efficiency
- 27/01/2010 - Mettlers new Scales Terminals offer easy integration
- 27/01/2010 - Mettlers' 2010 Desk Calendar released
- 30/11/2009 - Mettler's at home in hostile environments
- 25/11/2009 - Mettler launch Compact Scales with introductory offer
- 17/09/2009 - Peace of mind is a piece of cake with Mettler Toledo
- 17/09/2009 - Mettler offers webinar to improve profitability
- 16/09/2009 - The evolution of Pallet dimensioning
- 07/08/2009 - Mettler launch 'Industrial Weighing' catalogue
- 07/08/2009 - Mettler launch 'Weighing Components' catalogue
- 07/08/2009 - TLX MultiCapture™ from Mettler, meeting customer specific needs
- 06/08/2009 - New floor scales from Mettler
- 06/08/2009 - New IND560x Terminal from Mettler
- 06/08/2009 - Mettlers' Good Weighing Practise™
- 31/07/2009 - CIWM membership underlines Mettler Toledos' sound waste management credentials
- 24/06/2009 - Error free results with Mettler Toledo Moisture Analyser
- 24/06/2009 - High performance checkweighing for maximum OEE
- 02/04/2009 - Mettler Toledo Webinars bring customer presentations to impressive new levels
- 30/10/2008 - Mettler Toledo Puts Product Inspection Under the Spotlight at PPMA 2008
- 10/09/2008 - MettlerToledo Inspects the Goods
- 22/08/2008 - Polymer Manfacturer Choose Mettler Toledo
- 22/08/2008 - Polymer Manfacturer Choose Mettler Toledo
- 09/07/2008 - Mettler Toledo Cargoscan's Pallet Measuring System Keeps Large Pallets Moving At DHL's London Gateway
- 08/07/2008 - Mettler Toledo Safeline Takes to the Road with New Cutting Edge X-ray Technology Systems
- 08/07/2008 - Driving forward innovations in checkweighing