Thermal Transfer Printing
10 October 2014
For those who do not know what 'thermal transfer' means? Today, we're going to tell you all about thermal transfer printing and how they are used, keeping the information as simple as possible
Firstly, you need to understand that thermal printing and thermal transfer printing are two different things. A standard thermal printer applies heat to the paper, turning some parts black to form text or images (note that thermal printers use rolls of paper that are specifically designed for this purpose).
Thermal printers are most commonly found in shops, where they are used for customer receipts; since thermal printing needs no ink or toner, it's a very economical option in this context.
However, labels that are created via direct thermal printing are not designed to last, and that's where thermal transfer printing comes in. Instead of applying heat directly to the paper, thermal transfer printers apply heat to an ink ribbon, which then transfers ink onto the paper.
One downside is that you have to refill your printer with a new ribbon from time to time. Still, if you are making labels for inventory asset tagging, or barcoding the extra expense is well worth it - thermal transfer labels last a lot longer than standard thermal labels, and they're far more scratch- and abrasion-resistant too.
- Direct thermal labels are low-priced, but not suitable for long-term applications
- Thermal transfer labels are far more durable and less prone to fading – suitable for long-term use
Other Press Releases By This Company
- 10/01/2020 - Label Source Officially Joins The British Safety Industry Federation
- 09/08/2019 - What Are Dangerous Goods and How to Properly Label Them
- 09/08/2019 - Beneficial and Modern Uses of Asset Tagging and Management
- 09/08/2019 - Breathing Space: What is Local Exhaust Ventilation and Why Is It Important?
- 03/11/2017 - What Is An Entrapment Hazard?
- 03/11/2017 - Workplace Safety Posters: Which Ones Do you need?
- 02/11/2017 - What is 220V and where is it used?
- 02/11/2017 - Sharps Hazard & Sharp Object Signs & Labels
- 19/10/2016 - Signs for COMAH Regulation sites
- 19/10/2016 - Salmonella outbreak caused by cross contamination from kitchen utensils
- 12/10/2016 - Labels for enclosures and cabinets
- 05/10/2016 - Biogas Generation Equipment Marking.
- 05/10/2016 - PAT test stickers
- 27/09/2016 - CE product marking
- 27/09/2016 - QR barcode labels
- 30/03/2016 - Dangers of not displaying electrical warning signs.
- 30/03/2016 - Bespoke plastic nameplates.
- 05/03/2015 - QC labelling for your products
- 05/03/2015 - Inspection labels revised
- 05/03/2015 - Keep the workplace safe from electrical accidents
- 27/02/2015 - Personal protection at work
- 27/02/2015 - Industrial Equipment Safety Marking from Label Source
- 04/12/2014 - Valve tags for marking and identification
- 04/12/2014 - What is underground warning tape?
- 04/12/2014 - Safe use of gas cylinders
- 04/12/2014 - All the information you need to know about WEEE labels
- 04/12/2014 - Are you using CE labels correctly?
- 04/12/2014 - CE Legislation- for your understanding
- 05/11/2014 - Quality Control Labels
- 05/11/2014 - Stainless steel tags
- 05/11/2014 - Blank Metal nameplates for your requirements
- 05/11/2014 - Seriously Super Serial Number Labels
- 05/11/2014 - Inspection Labels- For your visual aid
- 05/11/2014 - Your 3 way step to Write and Seal Labels
- 20/10/2014 - Wide range of warehouse labels
- 20/10/2014 - Top-Quality Racking labels
- 20/10/2014 - Help your company become greener
- 20/10/2014 - Become green with Label Source
- 10/10/2014 - Why Electrical Labels are essential
- 10/10/2014 - Water Safety Signs: Making sure your water experience is safe!
- 10/10/2014 - Dangers in and around high voltage electricity
- 10/10/2014 - Safe and secure handling of hazardous waste
- 10/10/2014 - Prevent your workers from Needle Stick injuries
- 10/10/2014 - Prevent flu this winter by displaying your hygiene signs
- 10/10/2014 - Plastic tags to your own design
- 10/10/2014 - Laser Labels from Label Source
- 10/10/2014 - Quality Assurance labels for manufacturing use
- 10/10/2014 - Label Source guide to printing labels
- 10/10/2014 - Hazard warning labels fit for purpose
- 10/10/2014 - Focus on Site Security Signs
- 10/10/2014 - Businesses will pay for health and Safety Breaches
- 10/10/2014 - Barrier tapes for a safe environment
- 10/10/2014 - Are you at risk of Hand and Arm Vibration Syndrome?
- 09/10/2014 - 5 Safety Signs every workplace needs
- 13/01/2014 - Payments outside the UK
- 13/01/2014 - Label Source on the move
- 18/03/2009 - Label Source labelling the Health Service